Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions about Iphone 3g (3.1.2) on Tmobile

Default Questions about Iphone 3g (3.1.2) on Tmobile
    Hi, I am new to this whole thing and have googled and searched alot but all the answers I find arent direct and misleading.

I have a Iphone 3g (3.1.2) running on T-Mobile. I have the unlimited tzones internet on my plan.

Now my questions were:

Is it better to have the unlimited tzones (wap.voicestream) on my plan or the android internet/3g internet (epc.voicestream) and just use that internet in EDGE? Also watcs the difference between the two as far as the iphone is concerned between epc.voicestream and wap.voicestream.

The second question was, the gps doesnt work in Google Maps when I click my location it says your location cannot be found. Does that have anything to do with it being on tmobile? I read that the GPS has nothing to do with it but then why wont it work? Do I have something disabled that I dont know about? I also tried XGPS from Cydia but that one doesnt work either and acts weird. On XGPS which GPS do I use for tmobile? (When u go into gps settings theres a list to choose from)

Those were the only few questions I have, the phone works great its an awesome thing to have but I miss my gps and turn by turn from google maps that I had on my MyTouch 3g lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

There is no difference between the two types of internet plans. They both work the same, you just have to pay more for the other because T-Mobile makes people think the smartphone data plan is different/better. It really isn't, I've had both and the cheaper one is the same as the more expensive one.

Also, Google maps does not rely on GPS it relies on EDGE. You can try inserting in the APN another such as

internet2.voicestream.com

or

epc.tmobile.com

and see if Google maps picks up on those instead of the wap.voicestream.com.

I use internet2 and it works perfect. Keep me posted.

Ok so I tried all three. None of them can find my location. wap.vs doesn't and my web browser won't wrk. epc.tmo doesn't and my web browser won't wrk. Internet2.vs let's me access my web but the google maps still won't work? Am I doing something wrong in gmaps?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You should test google maps on wifi to see if it works. That will determine if it is your app or edge causing the problem.

Try a network reset..

If safari can go online, but google maps cannot connect, you may have to restore.

To be sure, in your settings, make sure location services is on, and connect to a wifi network.

Go into safari and load up any website, just to be sure it has a solid connection.

Now load up google maps, If you get no errors, but no blue dot, your gps is broken.

Remember, the phone should be able to find its gps location, no matter whats in your APN settings, it just requires a data connection to download the maps.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

I tried the wifi thing and it finds my location but it finds me in Chicago... I am in Texas...

I tried the network reset and it screwed up my tmobile internet.. the E isnt there anymore and none of the three APNs work. Safari says its not connected to the internet..

So im guessin the gps is just messed up or something (but it finds me in chicago?)

I would like to atleast fix my tmobile internet back to how it was lol and btw thank for the fast feedback I just wanna get the phone working to normal. I dont wanna do anything crazy with it, I just wanted the basic functions to work. When I got it the dude says everythings works the same on here just cant use 3G you have to use Edge..

Thanks

So you're telling me that you went outside with your 3G, turned wifi ON and the blue dot put you somewhere in Chicago?

Also, what data plan do you currently have?
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    So you're telling me that you went outside with your 3G, turned wifi ON and the blue dot put you somewhere in Chicago?

Also, what data plan do you currently have?
    Yes sir, Its putting me in chicago with the wifi and I just did the blackrain again and got my edge working and the gps wont work with the edge.

I have the Phone First Web for 9.99. Do you think if I switch back to the Android internet that will do anything? I know its the same thing but maybe it'll change something in the systems that might make it work?

Update: It now find me in dallas, when I went outside and use wifi. Hey... atleast its getting closer lol Im in Magnolia, TX to be exact btw
    Last edited by henryk821; 2010-03-16 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ok, when you see the map in the default Maps application, is it a solid blue small dot pinning you in an exact street, or a more general circle kind of like a compass around a larger area?

I don't think you need to switch to the more expensive plan. I'm on web2go which is the same as the $9.99 but with unlimited texting. Many other people in these forums are also there and they are not reporting any problems. So it's gotta be something with your settings. It would help if you could post a screen of your cellular data network page.

It's a solid blue dot and ya I'll do the screenshots when I get home. Also I can't receive pic msgs.. Isn't that a known iPhone issue? Or is it still my settings? what I'll do is send you screen shots of everything so you guys can see everything and once again thx for the help it's greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hmm...if you're getting a blue dot and you are able to see the maps in wifi then it might be a GPS antenna issue. And you should be able to receive/send MMS, granted you have the correct settings.

Ok the cellular data APN is : internet2.voicestream.com (its not clear in the pic)

The the MMS is:

MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mmsu
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

That should clarify the things in the pics but the rest you can see i guess. I will try to take better pics with my digital camera once its done charging but for now I hope that helps.
    Also if it indeed is the gps antenna... theres no way to fix it is there? I know how to change the screen and back cover on these but idk about the gps antenna?
    Last edited by henryk821; 2010-03-17 at 07:05 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

FYI for better quality screenshots press the power button and home button at the same time to take a pic of your screen. Can you upload pics of the Google maps on wifi and then on edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    FYI for better quality screenshots press the power button and home button at the same time to take a pic of your screen. Can you upload pics of the Google maps on wifi and then on edge?
    ya I will give me a second to do it. I will upload better pics

Thanks

You need to enter wap.voicestream.com in the APN for MMS.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

LIMPDISTURBED33 (2010-04-23)

here ya go, here are better pics and I used this tether and mms thing from cydia to fix the mms thing. but the gps is the only thing not working here are the pics:

Thanks for all your help.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Your APN should be internet2 if you have 9.99 web. That's the only one that will work. Your google maps still picking up your location elsewhere than where you live??

Thanks

The fact that you have a white line around the blue dot indicates that your phone is attempting to get your current location from:

a) nearest cell phone tower
    b) nearby wifi IP#

If you took these pictures outside, then there's an issue with your GPS antenna.

As far as the data goes, your APN should be internet2.voicestream.com for cellular data and wap.voicestream.com for MMS. Try not to use the MMS & Tether fix from sinful - as it generally doesn't work. If you have the $9.99 web2go plan, go to cydia, uninstall that tweak and search for "Legacy" - you will get a T-mo carrier bundle (choose the first one).

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I didn't wanna resolve in this cuz Push Fix has a lot problems with receiving other people's messages but it wouldn't hurt to try if all other options are exhausted.

Add repo cydia.iphoneil.com and install Push Fix and see if that puts your GPS back in place. If not, we should investigate further.

Thanks

How would PushFix help? It only adds certs (which BTW, don't work) and fixes a youtube issue...There's a much better fix out now, Push Doctor, which fixes both and actually works. Push fix actually brings more problems (deletes your mail settings) and hogs down on battery life. I would stay away from PushFix...

If he's outside in wifi and the blue dot does not show (meaning blue dot with no white circle around), it's gotta be the antenna. Unless, of course, the sky is really overcast. It happened to me once, but rain was pouring down. My phone lost GPS signal in my car.

I also found these two GPS fixes in other forums that have worked for other people.
    "This fixed it for me: Do a full restore from iTunes and don't use any backups from previous syncs. When I first activated my 3G, I imported settings from my 2G and I could never get GPS to work properly. Now that I'm starting from scratch it works without a hitch. "

"I downloaded "where" from AppStore and that triangulated my position and after that Maps worked."
    Last edited by adp; 2010-03-17 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast