Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it even worth it?!?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Is it even worth it?!?
    Hey guys,

Since we used t-mobile edge on the iPhone. Is it worth it to get a 3g or 3gs over a 2g? I used to have a 2g, and sold it and bought the Sidekick LX 2009. Now I regret it. I miss my iPhone. But, really, other than memory storage, is it worth paying more? I can't find one legit person that's selling a 2g iPhone. Everyone is always like, search this and that site. blah blah. or Water damage, Broken screen. I have a max of $160 for a 2g, but, can't find a good person that selling one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

The resale value of iPhones are high, even 2G. Just like most Apple products. But the difference between the 2G and the 3GS as in processing speed is massive in my opinion. Yes you will still be limited to edge but everything on the phone just goes faster.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    So, just processor speed. I can't find any 2g's for under $200 and 3g/3gs $350. hahaha, I never should of sold mine. sigh.

Thanks

Not just that. GPS, video camera (but not with cycorder), longer battery life (especially since you're buying a phone with a 2+ year old battery)
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If you can spare a little bit more money at least get a 3G. 3GS are still expensive but I think if you're willing to dish out $160 for an iPhone, save up a hundred more and find a 3G.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    My friend which is a t-mobile sales rep, also an ex iPhone user, said that 3g/3gs isn't really worth the extra money, just cause of processor speed. All things on the iPhone that uses data, run at the same speed. GPS is choppy on edge. And for battery life, he saying "you would actually pay $100~$250 more, for a newer battery".

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

I highly disagree. I have Navigon on my 3G and it is excellent. Picks up signal and keeps it very well. Processor speed you think you wouldn't mind but honestly, it's nice to pay a little extra for that luxury. A little extra speed in loading your apps or browser is really nice. Also, more memory means faster phone (for the most part) cuz if you fill your memory up and have no extra space, you're bound to get lag and crashes more frequently. That's just one person's opinion but personally I would rather get a 3G if I can really wait and save up for it. If I didn't have that much money and I want it like NOW I'd get the 2G. To me, I think at least a 3G is worth it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1ucky11 View Post
    My friend which is a t-mobile sales rep, also an ex iPhone user, said that 3g/3gs isn't really worth the extra money, just cause of processor speed. All things on the iPhone that uses data, run at the same speed. GPS is choppy on edge. And for battery life, he saying "you would actually pay $100~$250 more, for a newer battery".
    GPS is choppy on edge? Have you ever used Navigon or TomTom? They don't rely on edge. And even when you're using the maps application it's reasonably quick. The GPS has helped me in so many ways, and I've saved money by not needing to buy a standalone unit. If you want to run multiple apps at the same time, RAM and processor speed definitely does matter.

At this point, knowing Apple will release the new (4G?) iPhone in June, I'd just wait until then and either:

a) Get the 4G
    b) Get a 3GS after its price drops (after release of the 4G)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Well, I'm just saying my friend said that to me. I kinda agree with speed being a key. The thing is, I can't wait, cause the currently phone I'm using now is going to be sold on the 29th. So, I'm trying to figure out a legit site, with legit people, that selling their iPhone. And I can't post anything on the W/T/S iPhone, until I post 30.

Thanks

"My friend which is a t-mobile sales rep, also an ex iPhone user, said that 3g/3gs isn't really worth the extra money"

I think it is likely that your friend doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow, that's kinda rude. He was just giving me his opinion, just like everyone else is.

Thanks

I'm sorry. I hope I didn't ruin your life

( Don't forget to hit the "thanks" button)

I have had two 2g's and now have a 3g 16g. I do have to say it is faster when opening apps. My wife's 3gs is even a bit faster than my 3g when pulling up apps. Also I picked up my White 3g on craigslist of all places for $100 cash, I just posted I was looking for a clean iPhone 3G I got lots of emails saying I have new/ used phones for $400-$500 and up. Then a woman emailed me saying she had a mint White 3G 16g that was locked up and she didnt know how to fix it. I bought it and had it up and running on T-Mobile in less than a hour.
    Last edited by Roush00; 2010-03-15 at 06:59 AM.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Roush00 you got soooo lucky to get a 3G at that price. I'm jealous. Anyway I agree with adp, I forgot that there might be a new phone released. I'd definitely wait a couple months if it's not urgent (I'm sure by then you'll also have more money saved too) and then get a 3GS when the price drops.

Oh yeah, on the comment about the friend who is a tmobile sales rep... Yeah I'm not surprised he would say something like that. Cuz in a few other posts I have seen other people say so and so on the iPhone is bad or not as good as another phone lol. It's just an odd trend of seeing tmobile reps mentioned or posting that say silly things. One of them told someone that in order to get Internet they need to pay 24.99. If you're on this forum, you know darn well you don't need 24.99 for a data plan lol.

I know I was lucky that's why I jumped on it like a fat kid on candy!!
    I picked up my wife's 3Gs for $325 thought that was also a good deal for a sealed new in the box phone.. Also from craigslist. I guess what I'm getting at here is check your local CL... lol

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Where the F do you live?! My god my 3G was $600. I can't believe you spent less on two phones than I did one -.- man I'm so jealous lol.

Thanks

Yea I got my 3G a few months after it was released. Got it on Craigslist for $350 (they were going for $600+ on eBay back then). I'd recommend Craigslist more than any other site. There's nothing better than testing your phone and knowing the person who sold it. As opposed to eBay, where they can sell you a phone that looks good in a picture but may have some internal hardware issue. Once you pay in eBay, there's pretty much no going back. Not to mention the hyper-active last second bidders.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

WOW! $325 for a 3gS and $100 for a 3g. Where DO you live? Lol. Here in atlanta, your looking at $300+ for a 3g and $600 for a 3gS on CL.

Thanks

I got my 3g for nuttin.

I jacked an old lady for it and wiped it clean with a restore.

Sorry, I thought my name was Zeal

actually, I got it from a lid who got it wet and the cera and home button didn't work. $25 bucks on eBay parts and it's good as new!!!

That's lucky though, it could easily have been a lot worse. So unless it's free or really cheap I would probably recommend staying away from parts phones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Zeal don't rob old ladies he steals from little girls.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast