Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having problems getting Internet/Tethering/MMS on your iPhone? LOOK HERE

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Having problems getting Internet/Tethering/MMS on your iPhone? LOOK HERE
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE ON ADDING DATA/MMS/TETHERING TO YOUR iPHONE

It's getting somewhat annoying seeing day after day people having trouble with their internet connections. Whether it's people asking if they need a certain data plan, or how to reset the phone, etc.

First things first, we will look at how to add data/internet to your plan/phone. As of writing this post, you only need the $9.99 data plan no matter what. Now, to ensure this works, slip your SIM into a non-smartphone (RAZR, basically any flip phone, etc) and make a call to your friend. After the call ends, T-Mobile pairs your account with the device you made your last call from through the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Equipment_Identity"]IMEI number[/ame].

The next step is to dial 611 or go online and add the web2go plan to your account. If the rep gives you any trouble about this, just mention that your iPhone has been sent in for repair and you need to check Facebook and the weather on the go.

Now, return the SIM into your iPhone and go to Settings --> General --> Network --> Cellular Data Network.

For now enter in any of the following under the APN (order listen by quality):

epc.tmobile.com
    internet2.voicestream.com
    wap.voicestream.com
    internet3.voicestream.com

For MMS, enter in the following settings under Settings --> General --> Network --> Cellular Data Network in the MMS section:

APN: wap.voicestream.com
    Username:
    Password:
    MMSC: 216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.050
    MMS Max Message Size: 614400
    MMS UA Prof URL: http://wap.sonyericsson.com/UAprof/W800iR101.xml

You should be able to get your Internet up and running now. A word of advice: Try not to call into T-Mobile with your phone under the web2go plan. Some nosey reps may disable the data package on your account or force you to upgrade.

Now, for those that want tethering, I personally would go to help.benm.at and choose one of the config files they have there.

For those too lazy to go through the menus, you can install the config file straight to your iPhone from here.

Common problems:

Can't find the Cellular Data Network menu?
    Head on over to SpookyET's Carrier Bundle thread for more information. Warning, Obama isn't elitist but SpookyET sure is. He'll help you but get ready to be insulted.

The tethering option isn't working! I'm on iPhone OS 3.1, help me?! Apple has disable third party tethering on all device, factory unlocked or not. Apple also stopped signing 3.0 and 3.0.1 ipsw's on the 3G[S]. I recommend you hold on to the 3.0 firmware as long as you can...

I'll add to this section once people comment. If anyone noticed any errors or have any additions, feel free to post and I will include them in the thread!

Hopefully this can reduce the clutter around the forum.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poopz For This Useful Post:

RDL (2009-09-24), sandymary (2009-09-30)

Just one question I have internet and mms both working but internet speed is slow around 15.kbs I tried changing the apn (currently using internet2) but all the other redirect me to the upgrade page. So if i make a call with another phone and use the internet would i be able to put the sim back in my iphone and change the apn without getting an upgrade message? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grumpytreto View Post
    Just one question I have internet and mms both working but internet speed is slow around 15.kbs I tried changing the apn (currently using internet2) but all the other redirect me to the upgrade page. So if i make a call with another phone and use the internet would i be able to put the sim back in my iphone and change the apn without getting an upgrade message? thanks
    Your speed is slow because you have a bad ping with your cell tower. How many bars do you usually have? It's not as simple as switching apns... If your on the 9.99 web2go plan you have to use internet2.
    BOOBAH!

I almost always have 5 bars its a little slower at my sisters house i only get ~3 bars there.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It's all about the density of the area you are in. For example, I was in Chicago during the Oprah concert and I was getting 5 kb/sec and losing service every now and then. When I go back home, I was getting 140 kb/sec.

It has to be something else cause im in salt lake city utah and its slow throughout the whole day and middle of the night. I still get 15.kbps at 3 in the morning when almost EVERYONE is sleeping here

Thanks

im pretty sure alot of us has done those steps. but tmobile jst isnt letting us use the internet2. if yoru a new user. if antyhign use the tmobileproxy it works fine jst cant use mail and wat not :/

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It can't really hurt to try again. I mean, another thing you can do is simply lie and say it's not working and ask them to reset it to the original settings. That's what I had to do once when I got caught with Tzones on my iPhone.

I called in and said that my settings were changed for my internet cuz I was on an iPhone and asked if they could be reset. Thanks.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Does this help with the issue of not being able to send MMS messages?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I think if you're having any problems at all u should have Tmobile reset all of your settings.

still, this does not fixes the issue where i receive only a thumbnail, not the picture...

anyone else getting this issue???

Green Apple
    Thanks
    You've added the UAProf? You shouldn't be getting this issue...

I FINALLY got MMS working in the native app. I find pics take longer to send than they do when I use SwirlyMMS2 but its still nice to be able to MMS from the native app so I can deal with it.

Unfortunately I can't deal with the quality of the pics sent and the pics received. The pics are very blurry. Is there an easy fix to the quality of the pics? I googled but there was so much information I was overwhelmed. Appreciate any help!
    Last edited by RDL; 2009-09-24 at 08:01 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    I FINALLY got MMS working in the native app. I find pics take longer to send than they do when I use SwirlyMMS2 but its still nice to be able to MMS from the native app so I can deal with it.

Unfortunately I can't deal with the quality of the pics sent and the pics received. The pics are very blurry. Is there an easy fix to the quality of the pics? I googled but there was so much information I was overwhelmed. Appreciate any help!
    I had the exact same problem blurry pics even through swirlymms. I now have deleted swirlymms and i just use the Original SMS app that came with the iphone. I installed ACTIVATEMMS2G (only use on 2g iphone first gen or u will screw up your 3G) and I updated my IPCC files using this file below through itunes. Piece of cake go back to network settings and reboot your iphone and bam you will the camera icon next to your text block on your messaging app and your pics wont be burry anymore. Hope this helps.

http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments...aking.ipcc.zip <---file download
    Last edited by vantheman169; 2009-09-27 at 01:02 AM.

Thanks for the above info! I clicked on the thread but it went straight to downloading the file. Can u tell me how to replace the file in iTunes? and is this file for ALL iPhone users on TMo regardless of model, firmware, and/or TMo plan?

Appreciate the help!

I'll also go ahead and delete Swirly.. it hasnt been working anyway since I plugged in the APN settings to get MMS working in the native app. Also I got the images alittle clearer by leaving the max size limit in the APN settings blank. I originally had it set to "614400"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    Thanks for the above info! I clicked on the thread but it went straight to downloading the file. Can u tell me how to replace the file in iTunes? and is this file for ALL iPhone users on TMo regardless of model, firmware, and/or TMo plan?

Appreciate the help!

I'll also go ahead and delete Swirly.. it hasnt been working anyway since I plugged in the APN settings to get MMS working in the native app. Also I got the images alittle clearer by leaving the max size limit in the APN settings blank. I originally had it set to "614400"
    I see your on a mac so follow these directions.

On a Mac just start Terminal (Applications > Utilities) and type

defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE

ipcc support will be enabled again

Then hook up your iphone and open itunes. click OPTION and click restore then navigate to the zip file in the above post that i had that you tried to go to the thread, i put that as a download link so you would have the IPCC file make sure you unzip it first tho. Let me know if this works and remember download ACTIVATEMMS2G. Cheers!
    http://modmyi.com/forums/attachments...aking.ipcc.zip <--- Ipcc file download for t-mobile
    Last edited by vantheman169; 2009-09-27 at 01:01 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ipcc files shouldn't be necesarrybfor most. Spooky's thread has carrier files in cydia.

Thanks

i still cant get my web2go plan working.. should i leave my sim in my blackberry for a day or so ? for both wap and epc i get subscription upgrade and internet2/3 i dotn get connection at all. :/ this is a drag.
    also the "E"dge logo is always on. even when i turn it off in sbsetting.. hmmmm anyone

i cant get this working on my iphone, what do i do after i put in the settings, just reboot the phone or push home button or what?

can anyone help? i got $$ in paypal and i will donate for a solution

Thanks

What is it your having problems with, i am on a 2g on t-mobile also running firmware 3.0 with no problems...whats the problem? I can try to help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast