Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I just bring my iPhone to T-Mobile and sign up for service?

Default Can I just bring my iPhone to T-Mobile and sign up for service?
    Ok this is a really dumb question and I apologize if it has been asked or covered before but I couldn't really find anything about getting started with T-Mobile.
    I have my old 2g unlocked iPhone that I signed up for with Unicel a little over a year back and want to now use my phone on T-Mobile. Can I just say I want to sign up for an account and use it on my iPhone without any real problems? Also I really don't want to be in a 2yr contract, so is that where I would get a FlexPay account? I like the price of the 1000min promotional FlexPay for $40.

And I know this question has been covered all over the place but there is so much disagreeing I'm just not sure. Well the Unlimited Web and Unlimted Messages for phones with FlexPay for $20 work with my iPhone?

Thanks so much guys, I am moving to a new city on Tuesday and am hoping for a seamless switch. Sadly we don't have T-Mobile where I live now, otherwise I would just walk into the store and get it done before I moved.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Yes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

reallynotnick (2009-08-24)

Thanks

T-Mobile will be happy, more than happy for any new customer - what phone u use does not matter what so ever.
    Do hope that helps

**uoʇʇnq sʞuɐɥʇ ǝɥʇ ʇıɥ puɐ puıʞ ǝq noʎ pǝdןǝɥ sɐɥ ǝuoǝɯos ɟı**

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sursture For This Useful Post:

reallynotnick (2009-08-24)

Awesome! Thanks guys! Sounds like I am good to go unless someone can think of something I didn't already cover.
    After being on the phone with ATT for 5 hours being transfered all around trying to sign up for a 3GS before I moved this sounds like a breath of fresh air. (long story short it turned out they could not ship an iPhone out of their service area even though they said they could, and basically no one had any power to modify or cancel my order so I was transfered around the whole freaking department, until I was basically told I couldn't get it. Would have been nice to know right away...)

I wouldnt bring my iphone for two reasons.

1. They will probably try to get you on a $35 data plan cause you have an iphone and feed you some BS about how it will not work with the other plans.

2. I believe you can get a free cheepie phone, so why not take the free phone to sell or just to keep as a back up.

My iPhone is a Part of Me vietkool's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reallynotnick View Post
    Ok this is a really dumb question and I apologize if it has been asked or covered before but I couldn't really find anything about getting started with T-Mobile.
    I have my old 2g unlocked iPhone that I signed up for with Unicel a little over a year back and want to now use my phone on T-Mobile. Can I just say I want to sign up for an account and use it on my iPhone without any real problems? Also I really don't want to be in a 2yr contract, so is that where I would get a FlexPay account? I like the price of the 1000min promotional FlexPay for $40.

And I know this question has been covered all over the place but there is so much disagreeing I'm just not sure. Well the Unlimited Web and Unlimted Messages for phones with FlexPay for $20 work with my iPhone?

Thanks so much guys, I am moving to a new city on Tuesday and am hoping for a seamless switch. Sadly we don't have T-Mobile where I live now, otherwise I would just walk into the store and get it done before I moved.
    why dont you just walk to the tmobile store, sign up new service and get free new fone from t-mobile then when you get home, just take out the SIM card slide in the Iphone then you good to go. You also have a extra fone for back up sometime iphone decided not to co-operate for awhile

just keep in mind you may indeed have to pay that $35 data fee. tmobile tracked my usage and turned off my web2go service and flagged my account. they also changed my phone on thier records. i was forced into the plan. it sucked hard core. other than that just sign up for an appropriate plan with them and then take the sim out and do a lil switcheroo
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    just keep in mind you may indeed have to pay that $35 data fee. tmobile tracked my usage and turned off my web2go service and flagged my account. they also changed my phone on thier records. i was forced into the plan. it sucked hard core. other than that just sign up for an appropriate plan with them and then take the sim out and do a lil switcheroo
    I'm curious, how much data did you use for them to flag your account? I try to keep my data under 50 MBs each month.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Nothing is free people. The "Free" or "cheapy" phones are a trade off for a 1 or more likely 2 year contract.

Quote Originally Posted by cclement View Post
    I'm curious, how much data did you use for them to flag your account? I try to keep my data under 50 MBs each month.
    im pretty sure i hit like 80mb in 2 weeks. this was the period where i had no wifi AND went on vacation. ive heard that 3-50 a month is safe as you can pawn it off as saying you have work email that gets out of control. 80mb in 2 weeks is pushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    i am on the web2go plan as well..how much were you downloading for you to get flagged? tmobile knows i have the iphone too
    i am on the 9.99 plan

edit
    girllllll and i both use the web2g0 plan and we stream pandora on our phones and she has never had a problem

i jsut got mine but i havent had an issue yet

im at 260mb since the 20th of aug
    Last edited by supasekziaznboi; 2009-08-24 at 10:50 PM.

^^^check the post above you. i explained how it happened

wierd dono how girllllll has been getting away with it lol

i guess i can change the imei number too from the tmobile site

edit

i called tmobile just now and they said its truley unlimited, they decided that last november and made all plans unlimited so there isn't a data cap
    Last edited by supasekziaznboi; 2009-08-24 at 11:15 PM.

I have logged over 397MB between 2 cycles. Something else must have set them off.

Lovely

Not

How can I check my data usage? I know there already is a data usage menus, but i have web2go 9.99$ 100mb one and i never reseted the data usage every month.

There isn't another way besides checking the iPhone.. my.tmob.com doesn't keep track.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    There isn't another way besides checking the iPhone.. my.tmob.com doesn't keep track.
    2 billing cycles?

you can check it there....goto your phone then data and the last page and it tells you the total amount of mbs

Quote Originally Posted by Siawash View Post
    How can I check my data usage? I know there already is a data usage menus, but i have web2go 9.99$ 100mb one and i never reseted the data usage every month.
    its unlimited now

figured id tell you before girlllll does lol

i got off the phone with them a few hours ago its truely unlimited
    Last edited by supasekziaznboi; 2009-08-25 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Nothing is free people. The "Free" or "cheapy" phones are a trade off for a 1 or more likely 2 year contract.
    I'm pretty sure flex pay is no credit check no contract. I offer flex pay at my store. Of course I am unable to give away free phones because I am not a corporate dealer but have been told that if you go to a corporate store that they will give you one when you sign up. I have no idea how they do that but my friend opted not to buy one from me and went to tmobile so he could get a free phone. Then he sold it and bought an iphone from me.

Form what I read online to get anything close to free you have to sign a 1 year contract, and I don't want to sign a contract for a phone I am going to shove in a drawer.

Well I'm going to hope for the $20 data+text plan but if they won't let me I will just get texting, not a huge deal as the campus is covered in WiFi and I never had a data plan before under Unicel but I think it would sure come in handy for google maps in a town I don't know.

I'm all packed up and ready to move tomorrow morning, hope it goes smoothly! I'll probably report back after it all goes down, and of course any more last minute insight is more then welcome!