Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to get Visual Voicemail with Google Voice using your existing #

Default How to get Visual Voicemail with Google Voice using your existing #
    Until T-Mobile comes out with a native visual voicemail solution I thought I'd post this guide on setting up visual voicemail through Google Voice.

Since I have only one phone number, Google Voice as a switchboard for managing multiple phones isnt useful to me. As a voicemail managing service its makes life a lot easier. But the question is how do you get your Google Voice number to field voicemail for your mobile phone number? This is useful for people who want to use Google Voice's voicemail service without having to hand out a new phone number.

What you need
    1. Google Voice account
    2. Pay version of GV Mobile for the iPhone . Costs $2.99.

What to do

1. Setup conditional call forwarding

Dial the following T-Mobile forwarding codes into the dialer on your iPhone. T-Mobile forwards upto 500 minutes of call time for free if you have the 1000 minutes plus package. Forwarding minutes may vary depending upon your plan.

Code: **61*GVnumber*11*x#
    Function: Forwards calls to Google Voice if you are unable to answer. x = number of seconds before forwarding occurs. Values can be 5,10,15,20,25 or 30 seconds. I personally use 20 seconds, which translates to 5 rings on my cell, and 2 rings on Google Voice before its voicemail picks up.

Code: **62*GVnumber#
    Function: Forwards calls to Google Voice if your phone is out of area or cannot be rung.

Code: **67*GVnumber#
    Function: Forwards calls to Google Voice if you're already on a 3-way call or if you reject a call.

To reset back to T-Mobile voicemail settings: ##004#.

2. Use the following settings for the web version of Google Voice.

The "Do Not Disturb" option is absolutely key. This tells Google Voice not to ring any of your phones and instead direct calls to Google Voice's voicemail. Since we have call forwarding setup, now when someone dials your mobile phone and you cannot answer, your telco operator forwards the call to your Google Voice number. Without the "Do Not Disturb" option enabled, Google Voice would then attempt to call your mobile which results in some nasty phone looping.

All the other settings are optional.

3. Install and setup GV Mobile.

Now when you miss calls on your mobile phone, callers will be directed to Google Voice's voicemail service. You can isten to voicemail visual style via the GV Mobile app and the web interface, or by simply dialing your Google Voice number. You can also be alerted of new messages, push style, through transcribed email and/or texts to your mobile by enabling this option through the web interface.

Start asking questions and hit the THANKS BUTTON!
    Last edited by Zaied; 2009-07-31 at 03:39 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zaied For This Useful Post:

chrisperro (2009-07-31), troyy (2009-12-09)

so let me get this straight, if I recieve any calls thru GV, then they'll go straight to voicemail? That's counter productive for me, but nice write up.
    Don't forget to say THANKS!

J.D.

Quote Originally Posted by phreakwenci View Post
    so let me get this straight, if I recieve any calls thru GV, then they'll go straight to voicemail? That's counter productive for me, but nice write up.

Yup. Using this guide, if anyone calls your GV number, it will goto straight to VM. This write up is for people who only have one mobile phone number or dont use their GV number as a switchboard for calling other phones.
    Last edited by Zaied; 2009-07-17 at 09:40 PM.

This is what I do, though I don't use the GV app. I just check my voicemails online but decided I may at some point need to check a voicemail from my phone (without the GV app).

What I originally did was setup my GV number as a favorite and dial it from there but being the perfectionist I am I changed the voicemail number (in my my case with T-Mobile) to my GV number - so now when I hit the Voicemail button in the Phone app it dials my GV number instead of my T-Mobile voicemail.

I share your desire for perfectionism. How did you reprogram the VM button?
    Last edited by Zaied; 2009-07-31 at 03:33 AM.

thank you!!
    working here with Fido/rogers and just cancel my voicemail with them.
    I have at 10 seconds that is about 5 rings in my iphone.
    thanks again for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
    thank you!!
    working here with Fido/rogers and just cancel my voicemail with them.
    I have at 10 seconds that is about 5 rings in my iphone.
    thanks again for the tip.
    You have to SSH in and edit your carrier.plist file. It's near the bottom. I don't recall what the attribute was but I can check for you when I get home tonight.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

Very cool. There are so many cool things to do with GV

When you get a Google Voice VM, do you get a status notification on your iphone?

I just got this set up and am interested in seeing how to best utilize it.

I keep getting error messages like: Error performing request No network service. setting registration failed. voice call forwarding when unanswered

Use the following code to reprogram your voicemail number:

*5005*86*YOURGOOGLENUMBER#

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperflyJimmy For This Useful Post:

mrgermy (2009-08-06)

That's a bit easier than editing the carrier.plist file. Thanks for that.

Anyone else getting a lot of All Circuits are busy when people are being forwarded to your Google Voice number?

Just switched to T-Mobile on the Even More Plus Plan and when I try to forward my calls to Google Voice using this method I get "Error performing request - no network service". Anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by specialk92282; 2009-11-27 at 12:29 AM.

Conditional forwarding doesnt work with flexpay, ive been trying for months, CS can manually forward your voicemail, but it still wont work, it simply hangs up.