Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS / BATTERY DRAIN - Ongoing Test Confirms It.

Default MMS / BATTERY DRAIN - Ongoing Test Confirms It.
    Hello All,

I have noticed that my battery was draining really fast after installing MMS and then I decided to do some tests.
    EDIT: The Battery Drain issue is with the iPhone 2G using the ActivateMMS2G patch.

================================================== ==========
    TEST 1
    - Charged my iPhone to 100%
    - Reboot
    - Let it sit inactive for 1 hour
    (I forgot SSH on, so all the tests will be done with SSH on)

STATUS (w/ ActivateMMS2G + StatusNotifier Installed)
    - as of 30 minutes: 96% (*stand by, no calls, sms or mms received).
    - as of 45 minutes: 94% (*stand by, no calls or mms received / 1 sms received).
    - as of 1 hour: 92% (*stand by, no calls or mms received / 2 sms received; 1 replied).

It is already CONFIRMED that my the battery is draining outrageously fast... I mean, lose 8% on stand by over 1 hour? Before I could go to sleep after a recharge and wake up with 100% battery.

Now the 2nd Test consist of removing StatusNotifier to see if I will get better results. I saw someone report that this did the fix for him.

TEST 2
    - Uninstalled StatusNotifier
    - Reboot

STATUS (w/ ActivateMMS2G Installed)
    - as of 30 minutes: 98% (*stand by, no calls, sms or mms received).
    - as of 45 minutes: 96% (*stand by, no calls, sms or mms received).
    - as of 1 hour: 95% (*stand by, no calls, sms or mms received).

I guess removing StatusNotifier it did not help much, it is still decreasing quickly on Stand by.
    3rd, and final test, will be to remove ActivateMMS2G.

TEST 3
    - Uninstalled ActivateMMS2G
    - SSH'd original carrier.plist back
    - Reboot

STATUS (without MMS)
    - as of 30 minutes: 100%
    - as of 45 minutes: 100%
    - as of 1 hour: 100%.
    - as of 4 hours: 100%

TEST COMPLETED!
    Now we just wait to see if this is something that the developer can fix or something that "MMS fans" will have to live with (battery drain issue).

Personally, I prefer longer battery life but I have been without MMS since friday and I already miss it... it's fun.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 2009-07-06 at 02:47 PM. Reason: STATUS UPDATE
    Housekeepin'?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oliver350Z For This Useful Post:

daredavid (2009-10-22), mattzweb (2009-07-03), roro24satx (2009-07-09)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

maybe a demon is being ran in the background to keep checking for new MMS? wonder why. anyone else having these same issues.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Thanks

I had MMS on my 3G[s] and I also saw bad stand by times. It's probably due to 3.0 FW.

Quote Originally Posted by LSZ33 View Post
    I had MMS on my 3G[s] and I also saw bad stand by times. It's probably due to 3.0 FW.
    Maybe you noticed a little decrease with the 3.0.

But I've had 3.0 for over a week before I enabled MMS on my 2G and did not notice a lot of difference from 2.2.1. then... Ever since enabling MMS, extreme battery drainage... barely making the day.
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 2009-07-03 at 06:36 PM.
    Housekeepin'?

Interesting. I've been holding off on enabling MMS because of all the battery drain issues being reported. I'm definitely interested in seeing the results without MMS enabled.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe this is why they said it wouldn't work for 2G users - because the hardware can't keep up with it and result in good battery life. It checks for MMS and gets bad battery life, or doesn't and gets good battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    Maybe this is why they said it wouldn't work for 2G users - because the hardware can't keep up with it and result in good battery life. It checks for MMS and gets bad battery life, or doesn't and gets good battery life.
    That's a very good point and one that crossed my mind last night when I was reading the posts about battery drains. Having the same issue though, I hope we can find some resolution besides remove MMS or deal with it.

Apple still lied by saying that the hardware wouldnt support it. Maybe they should have said that 2G users would experience a SEVERE decrease in battery life by using MMS.

I would have still installed it. But at least I would have known what to expect.

For the record, I do not have Status Notifier installed (unless it came in the jailbreak).

Quote Originally Posted by smassie View Post
    I

For the record, I do not have Status Notifier installed (unless it came in the jailbreak).

No it doesnt...
    Only reason I installed it was because I lost my Missed Call Notification after I upgraded to 3.0.
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 2009-07-03 at 10:19 PM.
    Housekeepin'?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver350Z For This Useful Post:

smassie (2009-07-03)

Thanks

I have noticed that my 3G has been lagging a bit more and consuming more battery since I installed 3.0 - It will randomly "delay" a couple times a day, similar to a computer being slow for a few seconds. I think 3.0 requires a faster processor speed, hence the battery drainage.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

I agree, my phone battery doesn't last anywhere near as long as it used to. There is definately a problem with 3.0 or the MMS, but I don't think that it constanly checks for MMS, there must be a bug.

I'm losing about 4.2% of battery life per hour, Wi-Fi on, with ActivateMMS2G installed, received about 30 or so SMS... thats w/o running any games.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BoneCrif's Avatar
    Thanks

I've noticed a severe decrease in battery life after installing ActivateMMS2G. I've been turning the brightness down, wifi off, ssh off, location off, processes deleted (Sbsettings > Processes > app > Delete)
    and it still drains battery.
    Usually at the end of the day, i have %60 to %70 of battery.
    But after installing ActivateMMS2G, at the end of the day I'm ranging from %30 to %50.
    2G iPhone 3.0 Firmware with T-Mobile

8GB iPhone 2G
    3.1.2 - Unlocked and Jailbroken

AMD Athlon 5000 Dual-Core 2.2GHz with 4.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm on the bandwagon of short battery life. Installed mms hack and battery is being sucked in less than a day. Before this mod, running os3 I had about the same battery life as on 2.2. I understand that sending/receiving a lot mms will affect the battery, bit over night in standby mode I lost almost 20%. Also I've noticed that my mail app randomly is running in the background. All push is set to off and manual. I don't even have that app configured with an email address. I haven't manuall opened the mail app since restoring/jailbreaking a few days ago. Anybody else having this problem?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i usually have less then 50% at the end of every day without mms enabled. i don't even wanna kno how it is with this enabled. hope this gets figured out!
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Same here. I decided to unistall ActivateMMS2G because the battery just wouldnt last me a day. I did notice a difference when i uninstalled it. I sucks because i really wanted the MMS feature. Its weird though because not everyone is experiencing this problem. Just lucky i guess?

Swirlymms never seemed to affect battery life this dramtically so perhaps thats a way out for some, althought I know some of you guys have problems getting the settings maybe its easier now that the carriers allow mms from iphones
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked

iPhone? More like MyPhone Niner1000RR's Avatar
    Thanks

My battery life was garbage, and for some strange reason since I turn off the battery % indicator my battery is now back to normal. but no MMS here...

my battery life on my 3g 3.0 jailbroke and unlocked on tmobile with MMS is EXCELLENT. no problems here!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bran1093 View Post
    my battery life on my 3g 3.0 jailbroke and unlocked on tmobile with MMS is EXCELLENT. no problems here!
    are yuo using the activatemms2g patch? have you changed your ipcc? if so, did you use iTunes or cydia?

Quote Originally Posted by ksiphone View Post
    are yuo using the activatemms2g patch? have you changed your ipcc? if so, did you use iTunes or cydia?
    He has an iPhone 3G, the battery drain issue is with 2G's using ActivateMMS2G.
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 2009-07-06 at 02:44 PM.
    Housekeepin'?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast