Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS / BATTERY DRAIN - Ongoing Test Confirms It.

Quote Originally Posted by farfel View Post
    Don't forget that li-ion batteries get worse over time. They begin their aging cycle as soon as they're manufactured and will predictably lose their charge with the passing years, depending on how they're treated.

For example, a battery stored with 100% charge at 77 degrees will lose 20% of it's capacity in a year. The same battery stored with 40% charge will lose 5% capacity. Basically, the hotter it gets, the more charge it will lose. Stored at 140 degrees it will lose 80% in 6 months! Don't leave your phone in hot cars!

2g users should see their batteries beginning to die off. Last night, I restored my 2g, re-jailbroke, and did NOT restore from backup. I charged to 100% and turned on fetch to 1 hour intervals. After 8 hours of being OFF the battery was at approximately 85%.

The point is, people who are complaining may just be seeing the natural decline of the iPhone's li-ion battery.
    This is bla bla bla... Read my post and the comments.

It has been proven that ActivateMMS2G does drain the battery quicker, I have tested it in many ways.

If your phone has same battery life with ActivateMMS2G and without it, then congratulations, you have a mutant iPhone battery.
    Housekeepin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    This is bla bla bla... Read my post and the comments.

It has been proven that ActivateMMS2G does drain the battery quicker, I have tested it in many ways.

If your phone has same battery life with ActivateMMS2G and without it, then congratulations, you have a mutant iPhone battery.
    I was just saying that the age of the battery could be a factor. Just because you have tested it in many ways, doesn't mean it's scientific proof. Seems like a mixed bag here--some have drainage issues, some do not. So it seems logical that it conflicts with another setting, like push for example.

In theory it shouldn't drain the battery because all it does is change a few file settings. There is no background program running that I know of. But the package is 300k. I wonder why it requires such a large file to change just a few settings.
    Last edited by farfel; 2009-07-23 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farfel View Post

1) In theory it shouldn't drain the battery because all it does is change a few file settings. There is no background program running that I know of.

2) Just because you have tested it in many ways, doesn't mean it's scientific proof.

3) some have drainage issues, some do not.
    1) That you know of... humm.
    What some people have been speculating is that the battery drains quick because ActivateMMS2G might act like a "PUSH" checking for new MMS from the server and we all know what PUSH and FETCH does to our battery so...

2) Nobody has confirmed the scientific proof, indeed, but it is a fact that with ActivateMMS2G the battery DOES drain a lot quicker. You doubt it? Test it yourself.

3) Those who claim their battery life is the same with ActivateMMS2G did not test it...
    I guarantee you that there is NO WAY the battery life will be the same with ActivateMMS2G.
    Housekeepin'?

So I did a test during the last two nights, just to see what effect ActivateMMS has on my battery life. First I did a fresh restore/jailbreak/unlock then setup my phone as new in iTunes. I charged it to 100% both nights, put it on standby, and checked the battery percentage 8 hours later. The results were the same (85%), with or without ActivateMMS installed.

Iphone 2G 3.0, jb/unlocked, T-mobile
    Bluetooth off, wifi on, Edge data on
    Push off, fetching one email address every hour
    No additional apps were installed besides ActivateMMS2G

even after "uninstalling" activatemms2g my battery life STILL sucks. I guess because even after uninstalling it my mms is still activated.

okay i've restored my iphone 2g to new phone then installed activate mms then fully charged it...within 6 hours of doing nothing with it...the battery dropped to 85%...had it on for a couple of days just to see how bad the drainage is and my iphone would only last almost a day. it is the activate mms draining for sure. so i've uninstalled it and my battery is a whole lot better...way better than last week after the full restore/restore as new phone trick. i hope someone fixes the mms patch so we can finally enjoy it without draining our battery quick!

Quote Originally Posted by madrich View Post
    A friend told me that APSD is the Apple Push Service Daemon.

It' s always running and keeps trying to connect over the Edge or Wifi. Therefore, when it's not connected it keeps trying to and draining the battery.
    Yep, that's exactly how it works. I wish Apple would realize that some people don't use EDGE at all

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Apple - Batteries

so-- what battery packs are you fine ladies and gentlemen using ;]
    Last edited by cyph; 2009-07-27 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone RaginAsian55's Avatar
    Thanks

So I've uninstalled activatemms2g and completely deleted the APSD file off my iphone- the battery still drains fast! After a 12-hour work first it's down to 50%. What do I do?... I have friends that say their 2g batteries last over 2 days and coworkers with 3g iphones that aren't even drained as much as mine after a work shift!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginAsian55 View Post
    So I've uninstalled activatemms2g and completely deleted the APSD file off my iphone- the battery still drains fast! After a 12-hour work first it's down to 50%. What do I do?... I have friends that say their 2g batteries last over 2 days and coworkers with 3g iphones that aren't even drained as much as mine after a work shift!!
    Not sure Ragin, but I'm going to redo my phone as soon as I can sit down at my computer at home for more than 5 mins. Restore, JB, unlock and setup as a new phone. Check the battery life for a few days to see how it holds then install ActivateMMS and compare. I'm hoping that setting it up as a new phone will fix it as the DevTeam stated. They haven't led me wrong yet so they have my full confidence.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smassie View Post
    Not sure Ragin, but I'm going to redo my phone as soon as I can sit down at my computer at home for more than 5 mins. Restore, JB, unlock and setup as a new phone. Check the battery life for a few days to see how it holds then install ActivateMMS and compare. I'm hoping that setting it up as a new phone will fix it as the DevTeam stated. They haven't led me wrong yet so they have my full confidence.
    Hm, I was hoping it wasn't going to come to such drastic measures. I was thinking about just paying someone $30 to install a new battery on the phone, but I'll wait on that. Let me know if you see any improvements/changes with your test SMASSIE- I'd love to hear them!

Hm, I was hoping it wasn't going to come to such drastic measures. I was thinking about just paying someone $30 to install a new battery on the phone, but I'll wait on that. Let me know if you see any improvements/changes with your test SMASSIE- I'd love to hear them!
    I was hoping it wouldn't get that far either. But at this point, it's the only thing I haven't tried. I thought about replacing the battery as well but cracking the case is my last resort in every case. LOL!

Thanks

I was hoping it wouldn't get that far either. But at this point, it's the only thing I haven't tried. I thought about replacing the battery as well but cracking the case is my last resort in every case. LOL!
    Well I found someone on craigslist in my area who will replace the battery for $30 and they're certified professional or whatever- they at least have more experience than me!

Also, how are you going to create your contacts when you set up as a new iphone? Won't all your contacts be lost from iTunes?- and any new contact added through the phone, not the SIM, will be lost...

Well I found someone on craigslist in my area who will replace the battery for $30 and they're certified professional or whatever- they at least have more experience than me!

Also, how are you going to create your contacts when you set up as a new iphone? Won't all your contacts be lost from iTunes?- and any new contact added through the phone, not the SIM, will be lost...
    I sync all of my contacts to the Windows Address Book. So when I set it back up as a new phone, I will point it back there and it will import them. No muss no fuss and no missing contacts. WOOHOO!

Thanks

I sync all of my contacts to the Windows Address Book. So when I set it back up as a new phone, I will point it back there and it will import them. No muss no fuss and no missing contacts. WOOHOO!
    Huh... any sugestions for a mac user on how to sync contacts to a new iPhone without losing any of them??

iPhone? More like MyPhone ddfilms's Avatar
    Thanks

Huh... any sugestions for a mac user on how to sync contacts to a new iPhone without losing any of them??
    iTunes syncs with the Mac address book. if your address book is up to date with a sync then when you set up as new all contacts will be restored. all you will lose in the end is your sms and call history.

I just redid my iphone setting up s new then added the activate mms and it fixed my battery problem 18 hours in with surfing the web and a bunch of calls and battery is still 57%

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ddfilms View Post
    iTunes syncs with the Mac address book. if your address book is up to date with a sync then when you set up as new all contacts will be restored. all you will lose in the end is your sms and call history.

I just redid my iphone setting up s new then added the activate mms and it fixed my battery problem 18 hours in with surfing the web and a bunch of calls and battery is still 57%
    Thank for the heads up about the address book.

How long was your battery lasting before you did this restore? Mine's 50% gone after 12 hours with barely any usage...

EDIT: So I did a fresh restore setting up my iphone as new and my battery is actually WORSE. I can watch my battery life plummet before my eyes. It's actually kinda' disturbning. This is without the MMS installed....
    Last edited by RaginAsian55; 2009-07-29 at 07:21 AM.

Thank for the heads up about the address book.

How long was your battery lasting before you did this restore? Mine's 50% gone after 12 hours with barely any usage...

EDIT: So I did a fresh restore setting up my iphone as new and my battery is actually WORSE. I can watch my battery life plummet before my eyes. It's actually kinda' disturbning. This is without the MMS installed....
    There is a big chance your battery is shot...

A couple of days ago I just went 2 days & 5 hours / 4h 30min usage... and still had 24% left (Without ActivateMMS2G).

Right now I am at 80%
    Standby: 18 Hours 9 Mins
    Usage: 52 mins
    Housekeepin'?

I can confirm what Oliver say !

I've had the battery drain problem from the day that i installed the "ActivateMMS2g" patch, but never thought was this the problem.

Now i've upgraded my 2G to the latest firmware 3.1.2 , but this time i've NOT installed any mms patch.

Result :

With ActivateMMS2g > battery at 50% after 12hrs

WithOUT the patch > battery at 100% after 15hrs !

Thank you oliver for this thread, you saved me another headache

iPhone 2G
    Jailbroked
    FW 3.1.2

Hey guys! I removed ActivateMMS2g in the hopes of stopping the battery drain. But, my battery keeps draining after removing it. Is there a way to remove all remnants of this app, manually or otherwise? I need to stop this battery drain.
    Last edited by big black; 2009-10-24 at 09:19 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast