Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MMS / BATTERY DRAIN - Ongoing Test Confirms It.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    He has an iPhone 3G, the battery drain issue is with 2G's using ActivateMMS2G.
    guess i should have read the entire post! oops.

I'm not having a battery drain issue on my 2G with the ActivateMMS2G installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner1000RR View Post
    My battery life was garbage, and for some strange reason since I turn off the battery % indicator my battery is now back to normal. but no MMS here...
    I'll second this. I turned off the battery % and it seems to be back to normal. I'll see after a day of normal usage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m600i View Post
    I'm not having a battery drain issue on my 2G with the ActivateMMS2G installed.
    did you make changes to your ipcc? is your push on or off? how about the numeric battery indicator? could you provide a few more specifics about which apn you are using for data/mms and what other settings yuo are using?

i really liked having mms in the native app, but not at the expense of terrible battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by ksiphone View Post
    did you make changes to your ipcc? is your push on or off? how about the numeric battery indicator? could you provide a few more specifics about which apn you are using for data/mms and what other settings yuo are using?

i really liked having mms in the native app, but not at the expense of terrible battery life.
    I'm still running MMS, the only thing I changed was setting push to off for mail and turning off the % indicator for the battery.

I'm not sure which ipcc I used, I tried lots of them before I got one that worked for me. But MMS doesn't seem to be the cuplrit in my case. Sounds like it wast the battery indicator. I'll turn push back on tomorrow but I'm away from a charger today and don't want to risk it running dead on me.

I am doing really good without MMS...

Tonight I will try removing the Battery Indicator
    (even though I don't think it will help much)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  
    Housekeepin'?

I concur. I have an iphone 2g 16gb and after i installed the MMS patch through cycdia, my battery would drain by the end of the day (something that never happened) i'm unistalling now to see if it helps

What happens if you simply turn of MMS in settings, but leave ActivateMMS2G installed?

dont wanna do a full wipe again.... so i uninstalled the ActiveMMS2g , turned push off , had the battery % using sbsettings but is off now .
    will test this and see what happends

Thanks

i restored and only installed irealsms, activatemms2g, ipcc tweak and sbsettings. i have push off, numeric battery indicator off, auto brightness off, brightness set to about 25%. This seems to help, but it may be because i can't see the numeric indicator count down every time i touch the phone.

i tried a restore and only installed ireal and swirlymms yesterday. battery life was as good as it was with 2.2.

could the way the native app handles mms be causing the shortened battery life? it automatically downloads the attachment so it will show in the new mms window and in the conversation. swirly doesn't access the data network until you open the program and it doesn't download the attachment until you open the message.

is the native messaging app constantly checking the data network for mms? i could definitely deal without having mms show up in a preview and only download after opening the message. maybe this would help.

**update** - after restore/jb and installing ireal, activatemms2g with mms set on, ipcc tweak, sbsettings, winterboard then setting push off, brightness~ 25%, auto dim off, numeric battery off i left iphone on dock with 100% charge overnight (7 hours). iphone has been off dock now for 3 hours in standby mode untouched. i received one unanswered phone call and voicemail. phone is still currently at 100% full charge.

**update 2** - after 4 hours of standby, battery still 100%. Checked vm, sent three SMS, received 2 SMS, loaded this page and battery has dropped to 92%.
    Last edited by ksiphone; 2009-07-07 at 05:12 PM.

dont wanna do a full wipe again.... so i uninstalled the ActiveMMS2g , turned push off , had the battery % using sbsettings but is off now .
    will test this and see what happends

Green Apple
    Thanks

i had the activatemms2g patch on my iphone first gen and the battery was HORRIBLE! so after i uninstalled it battery was excellent. to put into perspective. charged to 100% left it in standby for over 26 hours then looked and my battery was at 20%. uninstalled activatemms2g and battery went down so slow it was great but no more mms. i have numeric battery on as well.

Does any one really know what activateMMS2g do anyway? I had been wery of even attempting to use it cause there is no "readme" or any info on it. If I the files were noted on what was changed perhaps that can explain the mystery of the draining. I've dealt with the powermanagement files a bit and was able to figure it out a little. Maybe there is a network timeout/ping rate setting in one of these files that keeps it active. But without knowing what it changes, I can't say for sure.

Better Question..

Has anyone tested this with WORKING push?

My battery life was horrible with MMS installed, but once I got push working, my battery life is a little less than what it was on 2.2.1

*update* i broke down and restored the phone,Reinstalled all my apps and did not install the ActivateMM2G ,

1 : added this repo to cydia : cydia.szifon.com , looked for the 2Gmms/tether/logo/cfw patch from this repo and reboot the phone

2:Back in itunes installed the .ipcc

3: turned off : fetch email push off , wifi scan off , battery % indicator (sbsettings)off.

4:installed the notification push and test with IM+ , Test mms with my wifes phone.

charged all night and will report at the end of the day!

Cydia apps installed :
    Sbsettings
    oppenssh
    winterboard
    popup color
    2G MMS/Tether/logo/cfw
    pushfix

Quote Originally Posted by nouse41 View Post
    What happens if you simply turn of MMS in settings, but leave ActivateMMS2G installed?
    That is a GREAT question...

Has anybody tried this?
    Housekeepin'?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    That is a GREAT question...

Has anybody tried this?
    yes i have the battery still dies. but not as bad but then what is the point unless so you can switch it back on faster. the only way that i found my battery to be normal was to fully uninstall activatemms2g.

Today I didn't go below 95% with about 5 or 6 calls and texts throughout the day. Even sent an MMS to a friend of mine in the morning... The only thing that was different is that I had turned Wi-Fi off... I even surfed the web on Wi-Fi for a bit when I got home... very strange and leads me to believe that Wi-Fi may have something to do with it...

The past few days my battery was dying so fast I had to charge around the afternoon so it wouldn't die... I'll continue to leave wi-fi off and see what happens. I have Push set to manual as well.

I almost always have wifi off whenever i can. Except in the wintertime lol. SBSettings is great for that and other quick flicks to common settings. Short of push, WIFI and GPS being on are usual suspects still no solid data that the activateMMS is still to blame. Unless it stays in the background and uses power. Speaking of SBSettings if any of you use it and have Processes toggled on. Now and then use it to see whats running. I'm curious what runs under activateMMS...

Last night I had MMS enabled again...
    Charged it for the whole night and so far 3 hours stand by and 100%.

So far so good, I am keeping my fingers crossed
    Housekeepin'?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast