Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Genius Bar Appoimtment Questions?

Default Genius Bar Appoimtment Questions?
    I scheduled a genius bar appointment for my iPhone. My accelerometer is defective, it doesn't rotate until you hit the phone, and I have quite a bit of dust under the screen. My phone is unlocked and jailbroken on Tmobile, and I do not have an AT&T contract anymore. I plan to restore my phone to stock tomorrow, but how do I bring it in and prove my accelerometer issue if I can't activate my phone? What are the steps I should take to get my phone replaced?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you have to have an account with AT&T. Try grabbing a friends SIM and activating it with their acct and then swap them back after.

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieBandit View Post
    I think you have to have an account with AT&T. Try grabbing a friends SIM and activating it with their acct and then swap them back after.
    I got my friends AT&T sim for the iPhone, I'm going to restore and activate. Tomorrow at the Apple Store, what should I say my name is? His or mine? What should I say?

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

I dunno. Say it's his and your bringing it in for
    him?

redsn0w to jailbreak it so that you can activate it. Hope that you get a Genius who's just going to look at the phone and not demand an ATT sim, usually if you aren't a **** and respectfully explain the problem they should be cool. No promises though

Quote Originally Posted by arich View Post
    redsn0w to jailbreak it so that you can activate it. Hope that you get a Genius who's just going to look at the phone and not demand an ATT sim, usually if you aren't a **** and respectfully explain the problem they should be cool. No promises though
    I got an ATT sim from my friend and restored and activated the phone. Now tomorrow, Im not sure whether they ask for account details or not, I don't know what to say if they do. My friend gave me his account info, but this phone was bought under my dads name.

I had a 2G i needed to have fixed and they needed a few days to order one. But I have an idea...

Take it in to your appointment and show them the problem. If they say they can swap it out same day tell them you need to sync first cause you have some new numbers or something you are not sure are backed up. (If its a guy maybe he can understand if they are a few girls numbers...) and that you can come back tommorow. They will have it all setup next day for you and save it in the system and when you come back make sure the ATT chip is still in there shut it off and hand it to them they pop the chip out and look quickly at it and pop it into your replacement phone and off you go home to sync it back.

May cost you some gas money to do it but hopefully that will work...

Was just thinking... Yah they MAY ask for account info.. what I did is said this was a hand me down cause my mom got the newer phone so i wanted to make sure everything else worked before i called ATT to get the phone the right cell plan. If you can make a good simple story it works. They are Apple not ATT so they have the mindset to get you up and going than hassle TOO much about you ATT account. But the simchip does help. LOL dont lie too much though you can get lost in it...
    Last edited by LrdBane; 2009-07-03 at 12:05 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone derrickb16's Avatar
    Thanks

any sign of jailbreak or unlock will lead to a waste of time all you need is a AT&T sim and just tell them your name as long as you registered the phone online your good I just got my phone replaced and I'm unlock and jailbroken but they are going to check to see if it's water damaged or jailbroken they didn't check too see if it was unlock( putting a T-mobile sim in) please have you tmobile card in your pocket or at home and play it cool
    IF I'VE HELPED YOU BE SURE YOU HIT THE THANKS BUTTON!

I had my unlocked iphone replaced even though i dont have contract with att. Make sure u pull out the tmobile sim before u go there and restore the iphone as well. It didnt matter if its activated or not.

I got it replaced, they didnt ask any info about the account, and the genius was very helpful.