Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Have T-mobile. Applecare still valid if I DFU restore?

Thanks

Default Have T-mobile. Applecare still valid if I DFU restore?
    Hey guys, I'm new to the iphone and the iphone community. I have a few questions. I bought an immaculate condition iphone from a girl: 3G 16GB black and no scratches. It has 3.0 software and I jailbroke/unlocked with ultrasn0w with no problems and phone is working fine with no problems. Anyways...

1) Main issue I want to know: Warranty expires July 10, 2009 and this phone is almost a year old. I was thinking about buying applecare from wal-mart since they sell it. If I ever needed to take it in for repair, I would fully restore it with itunes 8.2 to factory settings. I already fully restored my cousin's iphone which was unlocked/jailbroken using the DFU restore on itunes.

I used redsn0w 7.2/ultrasn0w only to be able to use it on T-mobile and I am not downloading anything from cydia. On my cousin's iphone, I downloaded cyrecorder, winterboard, etc...and I believe winterboard slowed down the iphone a lot and it was terrible so I tried to restore within the iphone but it brought up the constant apple logo reboot screen. so i fully restored it.

Will apple ever detect that I jailbroke/unlocked? After the full restore, has anyone been able to successfully get warranty service without them hassling you under applecare?

I still have the AT&T sim card from the girl I bought the iphone from so I could use it to activate the iphone whenever after I DFU restore it.

2) I've read numerous posts but couldn't get a straight answer. How long would an iphone battery last to it gets to the point where you have to keep it connected to a power source at all times and it needs a replacement? Considering its under moderate use (phone calls, wifi, using nursing/medical drug applications, occasionally playing light games).

My battery life is wonderful if i'm only using it for calls and apps and I leave it in sleepmode since I don't have a tmobile data plan on it (From full battery at 8pm to little less than full battery at 1030AM the next day!

3) Whats the mode common problems with the iphones that needed servicing? I want to know this because if the battery is the common problem, then I was thinking I could replace the battery myself in the future if I needed to, by following instructions on the websites that show you exactly how to do it properly.

So I'm wondering...should I get applecare since my warrenty is going to expire July 10, 2009? Would they know I jailbroke/unlocked after I fully DFU restore it to factory settings using iTunes 8.2? I don't wanna spend $69 right now if apple genius's are gonna know I unlocked it and not gonna honor my applecare warranty. Please help.

I've done this with my 2G. Picked it up used on ebay and extended the warranty with an Apple Care certificate.

The touch screen stopped responding after I set it down in a puddle of beer at a bar one night. So the next morning I restored it with a non-jailbroken image, called the 1-800 number and then took it into my local Apple.

They looked it over and remarkably the water sensor wasn't tripped so they attempted to restore it in house. After that the kid went in the back brought out a new one and handed it to me.

It was much easier than I'd expected and I'm on T-Mobile too, I've never had an AT&T contract.

Good luck!

Thanks

Default I'll get the applecare then?
    I guess I'll go to wal-mart to buy the applecare since i can't get the squaretrade warranty since its past the 30 days within purchase of the iphone.

All i will do if I need fixing is 1) DFU restore, 2) activate the iphone with the ATT simcard that I have from the girl i bought the phone from via itunes on my computer 3) Call my local applestore to get it fixed/replaced. That's it?

How soon in advance would I have to buy applecare before July 10, 2009?
    Last edited by imuscle74; 2009-06-30 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by imuscle74 View Post
    I guess I'll go to wal-mart to buy the applecare since i can't get the squaretrade warranty since its past the 30 days within purchase of the iphone.

All i will do if I need fixing is 1) DFU restore, 2) activate the iphone with the ATT simcard that I have from the girl i bought the phone from via itunes on my computer 3) Call my local applestore to get it fixed/replaced. That's it?

How soon in advance would I have to buy applecare before July 10, 2009?
    First I believe you'll want to register your phone's serial number under your account via the Apple website.

But yes, I put my phone into DFU mode and restored via itunes... This wiped out the jailbreak and unlock that I'd previously had on the phone.

I called Apple after that and they verified warranty and scheduled an in person visit.

If your intention is to extend the warranty, you'll want to do that right away. You'll have up until July 10th to do this, you won't be able to extend it after that.

I also activated my phone with a pre-paid AT&T sim that had a few minutes on it but I don't believe that was even necessary. Apple's warranty is on the hardware and is still valid in the absence of an active AT&T contract.

Thanks

What if the iphone is already registered with apple? I see my serial number is already on their registration website but I still think it's under this other person's account that i bought this phone from. I still have her number and stuff, should i contact her?

Quote Originally Posted by imuscle74 View Post
    What if the iphone is already registered with apple? I see my serial number is already on their registration website but I still think it's under this other person's account that i bought this phone from. I still have her number and stuff, should i contact her?
    Mine was registered to the original ebay seller. Didn't matter, I was able to register the serial number under my account and claim the phone as mine.

Just register the phone under your Apple account, I really think it'll be fine.

Thanks

Would i register via iTunes? I connect my phone to my computer and itunes recognized the phone, serial number, my phone number and name. Also, I am able to get my warranty status on the apple website. Does this mean that the phone is already registered?

The warranty is tied to the serial number of the phone not the registration status of the device. The best way to get Apple Care is to buy online from apple.com or buy in store from Apple, I've never tried buying from Wal-Mart because I avoid that place like the swine flu