Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Can I just order a sim card from TMobile for a 1st gen Iphone?

Default Can I just order a sim card from TMobile for a 1st gen Iphone?
    and then use it as a prepaid?

Last week I got a new 3GS for myself. When I ordered it the ATT rep said I would be able to use my old phone as a pay as you go phone for my daughter. Well.... then I get the new phone and activate it - call to make the old one pay as you go and they changed their minds. ATT no longer allows any NEW pay as you go customers. If you already were on a go plan you can keep it but no one new allowed.

SO I have this phone which I promised my daughter and she loves but when she travels out of town I really wanted to be able to put minutes on it. I do not want a "plan" because I don't want her to have a phone all the time, just when we need it. Really what I'd like is for her to have the ability to text more than anything.

Can I just order the sim card - put it in and use it? Is it really that easy with Tmobile? I did upgrade the old phone to Itunes 3.0 before I gave it to her.

ANy help is appreciated. My husband has an old iphone as well but his is jailbroken. Is that a better one to use?

Thank you for any help..

Heather

Thanks

You will definitely need to jailbreak your phone in order to use it with T-mobile. The 3GS iPhone, however, has not yet been jailbroken, so you will not be able to use it with T-mobile yet. You can use a 1st gen iPhone with T-mobile pre-paid. I'm not sure how easy it is to just get the SIM by itself, as I have a regular plan. I know you can tell them you have your own phone and they will not require you to buy a new one.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeYuse0406's Avatar
    Thanks

Who told you ATT does not offer PAYG to new costumer?

Whoever did just lied to you. ATT does offer PAYG everywhere including Walmart, ATT store and site, Family Dollar, Target, Best Buy, and many other places.

Source
    Prepaid cell phone, GoPhone® - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    Who told you ATT does not offer PAYG to new costumer?

Whoever did just lied to you. ATT does offer PAYG everywhere including Walmart, ATT store and site, Family Dollar, Target, Best Buy, and many other places.

Source
    They USED to.... THey discontinued this program as of June 11th. I have called.. I have walked into ATT stores and I tried WALMART to see if maybe SOMEONE would allow me to do it and nope...

This is a 1st generation Iphone but it is not jailbroke and I did update it just before giving it to her. I will have to ask my husband more about his phone.. or if he is willing to jailbrake this one for me. I'm not sure he'd part with his old phone just yet. I really need to get this done within a few weeks so she can get in touch with me while she is gone. I hate that they stopped the pay as you go.

I'm not making this up at all... if you can find a store willing to do it for me please let me know their phone number and I am HAPPY to call them. I've tried everything I know of here and can't get ATT to do it.

Heather

Thanks

Check the link I posted. ATT site sells PAYG, my wife is a manager at Family Dollar, and all Family Dollars store sell PAYG. I patrol several stores and have seen PAYG on the shelves in every store in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade counties in Florida.

I just called ATT and asked about it, and they said they never stopped offering it. Not sure where your got your info from.

As far as jailbreaking it, it is very easy as long as you follow the instructions carefully. There are guides in the guides section for using redsnow on the 2g iPhone to jailbreak and unlock it. The entire process takes about 5 to 10 minutes, considering that you have already upgraded.

From time to time, I get the PAYG at any store here in Florida when I need to be under the radar for work related issues. Try calling again, my best bet is that you talked to an inexperienced rep.
    Last edited by MikeYuse0406; 2009-06-25 at 03:20 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeYuse0406 For This Useful Post:

IvanPK (2009-06-25)

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah... ATT did not discontinue PAYG. The person you spoke to was incorrect.

Buy a go-phone, and take the SIM and put it in the iPhone

See I never heard if buying a go phone and using the sim card in the iPhone. I'm new to this. When I called ATT and said I wanted PAYG for my iPhone they said they no longer offer that service. This phone has the original so
    card in it and that is what I was trying to use to get a phone number for PAYG. If you call AT&T and ask them if you can get your iPhone on a pay as you go plan a d they tell you yes Please get their name and how to contact the
    Ive been onthe phone for hours. Of course the AT&T rep never suggested I buy a go phone and use the sim card from it in the iPhone.

Will I need to jailbreak the iPhone before I put the other sim card in? I know nothing about doing this, obviously.

Thanks for any help and for what you've told me so far

heather

Quote Originally Posted by MikeYuse0406 View Post
    Check the link I posted. ATT site sells PAYG, my wife is a manager at Family Dollar, and all Family Dollars store sell PAYG. I patrol several stores and have seen PAYG on the shelves in every store in Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami Dade counties in Florida.

I just called ATT and asked about it, and they said they never stopped offering it. Not sure where your got your info from.

As far as jailbreaking it, it is very easy as long as you follow the instructions carefully. There are guides in the guides section for using redsnow on the 2g iPhone to jailbreak and unlock it. The entire process takes about 5 to 10 minutes, considering that you have already upgraded.

From time to time, I get the PAYG at any store here in Florida when I need to be under the radar for work related issues. Try calling again, my best bet is that you talked to an inexperienced rep.
    We are talking about two different things. Yea they still have go phones. AT&T used to allow the iPhone as a PAYG but they are no longer doing it with iPhones. They suggested I get her a seperate go phone to use and let her usethe iPhone basically as an itouch. I'd much rather her have it all in one phone.

Still. If I can just turn on this first generation iPhone as is. Not jailbroken or with a different sim card I would love to. It be much easier. So.... Can I do this? AT&T tells me no. I'm getting ready to goto walmart again and see what they say. I'll bring the phone with me
    Last edited by its.me.heather; 2009-06-25 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by its.me.heather View Post
    Will I need to jailbreak the iPhone before I put the other sim card in? I know nothing about doing this, obviously.

Thanks for any help and for what you've told me so far

heather
    If it's an AT&T SIM, you will not need to jailbreak. This would only be necessary for T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    If it's an AT&T SIM, you will not need to jailbreak. This would only be necessary for T-Mobile.
    Yay! I'm on my way to go puchase an AT&T gophone. Thank you so much for your help!! Hopefully I won't be back confused after I try to replace the sim card in the iPhone with the gophone sim. Lol.

Sorry to have soany questions. I sure do appreciate all the knowledge you guys have shared!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to its.me.heather For This Useful Post:

adp (2009-06-26)

Thanks

Sorry to have soany questions. I sure do appreciate all the knowledge you guys have shared!
    Don't you worry about that. These forums are just for that - to help each other. Cell phone companies, regardless if they are tmobile, att, sprint, will always tell you whatever is convenient for them. That is why I usually turn to Google instead of calling a rep first.

I thought you meant that ATT didn't have PAYG anymore. lol...

The only thing I can think of on top of my head about the ATT PAYG sim in the iPhone is the lack of visual voicemail and data. However, as long as you have WiFi, you can access the web. Visual voicemail, well, just dial 1 as you do in any other phone.

Thanks

Yay! I'm on my way to go puchase an AT&T gophone. Thank you so much for your help!! Hopefully I won't be back confused after I try to replace the sim card in the iPhone with the gophone sim. Lol.

I just read in an unlocking thread that AT&T no longer supports GoPhone SIM cards. You can still buy them, just can't use them on an iPhone unless it's unlocked. So you will have to jailbreak & unlock either way. I just think its ridiculous how a company will not accept its own pre-paid plans just because they're "cheap."
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/unlocki...ne-iphone.html
    Last edited by adp; 2009-06-26 at 01:33 PM.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

You can just order a sim card by itself from T-mobile for like 14.99 then choose whatever plan you want. The phone needs to be UNLOCKED though to use it. I can't remember if it also has to be jailbroken. With my 2g, I was going to order a sim but just got one of the free phones as it comes with a sim. Then just put sim it comes with in iphone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tekwiz View Post
    You can just order a sim card by itself from T-mobile for like 14.99 then choose whatever plan you want. The phone needs to be UNLOCKED though to use it. I can't remember if it also has to be jailbroken. With my 2g, I was going to order a sim but just got one of the free phones as it comes with a sim. Then just put sim it comes with in iphone.
    Yes, you need to jailbreak in order to unlock...I agree, T-mobile pre-paid may be a better deal.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->