Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: push notification with no data plan??

Default push notification with no data plan??
    I am on t-mobile. and i use wifi and no data plan. i have a 2g and 3g iphone both running 3.0. is it possible to get push notification through wifi with no data plan?

Install TAP TAP 2, run it once and then a screen will pop asking if you want to turn on PUSH notifications.

After that you will automatically have PUSH notification added to your Settings, like this:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0186.png  
    Housekeepin'?

Default Will push notifications work without a data plan?
    I would also like to know if push notifications work without a data plan. I have an iPhone 2G and I am using it in Wifi without a data plan. It looks like push notifications only work when I am actively connected to a wifi network. If I am not connected to wifi, the push notifications don't come and are lost forever.

But I would like to know definitely how the push notifications work?

EDIT: An official knowledgebase article from Apple explains push notifications. It looks like it does use cellular data. If you don't have a data plan, you should be connected to a wifi network. In other words, your screen should be ON or the iPhone should be plugged in in order to receive the push notifications.

END RESULT: People without the data plans are likely going to have a very bad user experience with push notifications.
    Last edited by Modip; 2009-07-07 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modip View Post
    I would also like to know if push notifications work without a data plan. I have an iPhone 2G and I am using it in Wifi without a data plan. It looks like push notifications only work when I am actively connected to a wifi network. If I am not connected to wifi, the push notifications don't come and are lost forever.

But I would like to know definitely how the push notifications work?
    You can't receive data without a data plan. Push notifications are classified as data.

If it helps think about it this way, you can't drive a car without gas and wifi is your only source of gasoline.

No, actually I can say first hand, without any doubt, that push works WITHOUT a data plan. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 3G on T-Mobile and gave my 2G to my son.

He only uses it over wifi, I don't have him on any cellular plan (data or voice) at all.

There is an old, deactivated AT&T sim in the phone and the only reason I even put it in is so he won't get the "No Sim" nag when he reboots the phone.

Push works for us, period. We communicate daily via SMS with the TextFree app (AIM also works fine) and he will receive the red notification badges when I send him an SMS/IM.

The screen does not need to be on, the phone can be in sleep mode and when he wakes it it will register itself on the access point and at that point he'll receive the push.

I installed a VOIP app for him, so as long as he's within range of an access point he can call, text and receive push notifications for free.

What I'm looking forward to is a VOIP app that supports push notifications so he can actually receive calls when in wifi range.

Push works fine over wifi. I always had problems with Push because where we live there is almost no service and when the phone was locked it turned off the wifi. I installed Insomnia which keeps the wifi active and now it works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by mooselander View Post
    No, actually I can say first hand, without any doubt, that push works WITHOUT a data plan. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 3G on T-Mobile and gave my 2G to my son.

He only uses it over wifi, I don't have him on any cellular plan (data or voice) at all.
    I never said it wouldn't work on wifi. What i meant is, without a data plan it will ONLY work on wifi.

Looking back, i misread the original post and thought the author was asking if he could get push with no data plan or wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Decon Meiou View Post
    I never said it wouldn't work on wifi. What i meant is, without a data plan it will ONLY work on wifi.

Looking back, i misread the original post and thought the author was asking if he could get push with no data plan or wifi.
    Gotcha.. There was a misunderstanding when I read you post.

I just wanted to let readers know that wifi will work, though not as well as edge, for push notifications.