Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick plan stop working with iPhone?

Default iPhone Sidekick ordeal..
    I have been working with a 2G on 3.0 with prepaid Sidekick plan.

The apn I've been using is hiptop.t-mobile.com with the userid/password being dummy/dummy.

I am shocked to see that so many people are (or were) using this technique to get data.

I changed my Apn to all of T-Mobiles other ones for different plans/devices with no luck. The difference is for example.. when I use internet2.voicestream.net... it tells me I'm not subscribed to a data plan. But when I use the same universal sidekick apn...it just loads and loads until I get the server error.

Either it's an outage... or they've gotten smart. I believe they do not inform their technical support / customer service about the technicalities of this plan. They have always seemed to have no information or wrong information. I've unlocked my sidekick slide and they said it couldn't be done.

Now...my question. Does anyone have a new sidekick 2009? Can you check your APN and post it if it differs from hoptop.t-mobile.com ? Has anyone tried to see if their internet works on a sidekick? If it does... we are almost certainly blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by volsung View Post
    Good catch with the SSH observation! I too can SSH over EDGE without any trouble once I cleared my APN settings entirely.
    OK, I spent some time this afternoon exploring another option: using a virtual private network to tunnel all traffic (including web).

While initially promising, I haven't had any success yet. PPTP seemed to be the easiest to setup, but when I'm on EDGE, there is some interference with the GRE packets used in the protocol. (Gar! Why couldn't they do everything on the first TCP port?!) I can start to initialize the connection to my PPTP server, but it can't finish. Everything works fine on WiFi though.

IPSec and L2TP are more complicated, and use UDP, which are more likely to be blocked. I'm still educating myself on how this all works.

A final, last ditch, option is to explore running OpenVPN on the phone. This is much harder since OpenVPN is not natively supported by iPhone OS.

If anyone has experience with VPNs, I would be interested to hear if you have success getting one to work over EDGE.

...And you guys know Microsoft bought out the 'Sidekick' franchise, right?

I'm really thinking they are putting an end to this loophole...

I tired with my sidekick 2008, and it work fine, but when i swap it back to the iphone it didnt work.

Ok so can we still get prepaid Internet with pay as you go tmobile?

And what is web2go
    Last edited by kingjames2586; 2009-08-10 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default sidekick plan
    okay so i called tmobile about this and talked to probably 10 different reps without any luck at all. They all gave me the same information saying that the prepaid sidekick plan isnt suppose to be used on any other device. One rep actually took off my prepaid sidekick plan and made it a regular prepaid plan because i wasnt using it in my sidekick. I had to talk to another rep who then put it back to the sidekick plan. I've tried so many times an I dont think there is any hope for the prepaid users. On the ohterhand it seemed that the iphone department of tmobile could help those who arent prepaid but anyone who is prepaid is out of luck because they can't change the apn for you. Any suggestions? Some have claimed they got them to change the apn on their prepaid accounts (which i dont believe) but the reps tell me it isnt possible.

Quote Originally Posted by loffyg View Post
    On the ohterhand it seemed that the iphone department of tmobile could help those who arent prepaid
    How? I'm not prepaid so I'd love to know. I don't even have an E in the status bar anymore it shows a dot. Mail was working but not anymore.

guys the strangest thing is i still have the E...but why? does that mean connectivity with edge could still be present?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

customer service told me that as long as i wasnt on a prepaid plan that they could help me get the apn setup. I was talking to the tmobile iphone department that was given earlier. They said that that couldnt do it on the dollar/day plan thats all.

Spoofing the useragent isn't working; even trying to mimic a sidekick fails.
    Another thing I noticed is that VPN connections (at least PPTP) aren't working any more, so that's one less option to get around this.

I've been working on running Tor and Privoxy on the iPhone for an unrelated project and it seems to get around the block, albeit slowly. I have no idea what effect this has on battery life, however, and from the warmth of my iPhone right now, I can't imagine it would be good.

And before anyone asks on how to do this, I know nothing about programming for the iPhone, so wrapping everything in a neat little package is out of my league. I could upload the binaries and write a how to, but I'm away from my computer so it will sadly have to wait.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebel101150 View Post
    guys the strangest thing is i still have the E...but why? does that mean connectivity with edge could still be present?
    Yeah that doesnt matter you could totally delete the APN and you would still have the E logo. That is just there to show that your sim/provider supports edge where your located.

@ volsung amd JacksonBrown,

Not sure how to help or what exactly u guys are doing but it sounds like ppl who know more than me are trying to work around it and I want u to know I appreciate it. Makes things seem promising even if its false hope

wow this is so lame i bought a used 1st gen about a month ago. it took me about a week to unlock it and configure it with the tmobile bundle and i wuz sooo happy .. y in hell is tmobile being such dicks... honestly i am not going to pay them more money for a phone thats not even on the 3g network and cost me the same as a brand new 3GS.. they are going to loose a lot of customers!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Some success
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonBrown View Post
    Another thing I noticed is that VPN connections (at least PPTP) aren't working any more, so that's one less option to get around this.

I've been working on running Tor and Privoxy on the iPhone for an unrelated project and it seems to get around the block, albeit slowly. I have no idea what effect this has on battery life, however, and from the warmth of my iPhone right now, I can't imagine it would be good.
    I just tried using a L2PT VPN and it worked so far (the bad part is if there's no data activity, then the VPN connection disconnects... hopefully something can be done to workaround that like setting the mail .plist poll non-push servers every minute or so). It's also slow, but not much slower than it normally was. ADDENDUM: This might only work successfully if you aren't taking/receiving a call or using SMS... YMMV.

Hotspot Shield has a clientless VPN that is L2PT (so you can just use your builtin VPN software). So there's a temporary option.

A Cisco-based/IPSec VPN might also work, but I can't try the IPSec setup I use because of unrelated issues. So if anybody can try an IPSec VPN, that'd be great to hear if it's successful or not.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-08-10 at 08:32 AM. Reason: ADDENDUM
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

JacksonBrown (2009-08-10)

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    Hotspot Shield has a clientless VPN that is L2PT (so you can just use your builtin VPN software). So there's a temporary option.
    Oh wow, I've never heard of Hotspot Shield before, thanks.
    Although I'm nervous about sending all my data through an unknown server, this is probably the easiest solution for most. Only problem is, one needs to be able to access the website to generate a username/password. How long do the credentials last?

Thanks

Oh wow, I've never heard of Hotspot Shield before, thanks.
    Although I'm nervous about sending all my data through an unknown server, this is probably the easiest solution for most. Only problem is, one needs to be able to access the website to generate a username/password. How long do the credentials last?
    I've had two clientless HS accounts (one I've had for several months) and neither one's credentials have expired yet.

I've also used their MacOSX software for a couple years with success.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

JacksonBrown (2009-08-10)

On the note of T-Mobile's plans:
    Why is the prepaid Sidekick only $1 a day when the unlimited postpaid Sidekick is $54.99 a month?
    And voice is $.05/min cheaper on prepaid too!

Thanks

On the note of T-Mobile's plans:
    Why is the prepaid Sidekick only $1 a day when the unlimited postpaid Sidekick is $54.99 a month?
    And voice is $.05/min cheaper on prepaid too!
    Up until the G1 came out, the price for the standalone Sidekick plan on FlexPay or postpaid was 29.99 (which included unlimited SMS/MMS and data). Since then the prices for all data plans went up... so naturally the Sidekick standalone plan went up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Do those apps use exotic ports? or just port 80 and/or 443 (i.e. http & https)... My theory (bad as it may be) was that if they are all using common libraries (possibly where the user agent is embeded) that even those apps show up as "iPhone Safari webkit" or whatever the full string is. I know I'm reaching here.

Seems odd that they'd be outright blocking ports 80 & 443 unless the sidekick never uses those directly (anybody?). And I do recall a report earlier in this thread or over on macrumours of someone getting access by swapping SIM back to a sidekick. So with that & the IMEI change test reported as failing, what else could they be filtering on? Do GSM Modems have a MAC address that could be banned?

I can confirm that Skype seems to be working, it -looks- like mint.com app is working too (anybody else verify?). So non port 80/443 apps do at least appear to function.

Just throwin out ideas here, this is getting to be more fun then actualy having network access

-Rupert
    I think blocking the 8080 port is exactly what they did, since the sidekicks run on theyre own server they arnt effected. I put my sim back in my sk and everything was fine. This hits me hard as I use this plan on my g1 and my gf on her iphone. I dont know anything about this vpn stuff so maybe someone can put it clearer, I do have vpn access on the g1. I talked to numerous reps and wish I could have thought this up earlier as one of them was telling me about ports being blocked and that she can unblock me but it would only be a matter of time when they see whats going on block it again, I had no idea what the hec was going on so I didnt try anything. Maybe someone wants to call tmobile and try asking to unblock. Anyways subscribing here to see if you guys can hopefully work something out

BTW maybe this will be of some help i know it shows all sorts of info on the ports and stuff like that
    http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/T-Mobile_Data
    Last edited by TurboYo; 2009-08-10 at 10:11 AM.

Default Solution!
    (Ooops, didn't see the above discussion of L2TP before I wrote this. Consider this a second success story, then.)

OK, we have a tentative workaround! As mentioned, a VPN over PPTP is blocked. However, VPN over L2TP does work! If you can't setup an L2TP server (it's kind of tricky), you can pay for a VPN service. Right now I'm testing with:

https://www.publicvpn.com/

Using these settings (I paid $6.95 for a month to try it out):

https://www.publicvpn.com/support/GenericL2TP.php

I should note that I've blanked all the APN settings. As a fringe benefit, this puts your phone on a US IP address, so you can still access services like Pandora in foreign countries (over WiFi or EDGE). When the Netflix Watch Instantly application appears (and Hulu, hopefully!), a US VPN server should also allow you to use it.

The service does feel a little sluggish, but I can't tell if that is more a result of the GSM coverage in my area (rural New Mexico) being weak. (Should have benchmarked my connection before!) So far Google Maps, Safari, the App Store, YouTube, and Pandora work. Applications that worked without the VPN, like Mail, ssh and Skype, continue to work.
    Last edited by volsung; 2009-08-10 at 03:46 PM.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast