Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick plan stop working with iPhone?

it appears that T-Mobile is trying to their iPhone customers into expensive voice/data plans just the same as AT&T. Rather than offering a good alternative, they now seem to have joined AT&T in trying to squeeze every dollar they can from their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboomboom View Post
    google comes up with an ipod touch 1g with no wifi as well... its something built into the os or safari

cheapest tmobile setup = 29.99 (300min) and (24.99) for unlimited data and 300 texts
    55.00 is just over my budget does anyone looking to go legit able to find a better deal?
    If I'm reading the web site right, you might be able to go $10 cheaper if voice calls are not important to you & you can handle a contract.

There's an 'internet only' 'T-Mobile total internet' plan at $39.99 that includes $0.20/min voice, and then add the $5 300 SMS package for $45/mo total.... IF your willing to go contract I tried to ask the t-mobile chat support if it was supported on an iPhone, but they where, shall I say, far less then helpful... best quote was "We do not intentionally block any device from working on our network"

-Rupert

Anyone still on the 2G can try to spoof the IMEI. I need to downgrade my itunes from 8 and do not have time right now but if feedback suggests it works then I'll do it asap!

Here is how if anyone with a 2G wants to give it a shot and give us feedback. Please don't turn ghost once you get or dont get it working. Any and all feedback is appreciated!!

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...are-2-2-a.html

Quote Originally Posted by rbjscv View Post
    it appears that T-Mobile is trying to their iPhone customers into expensive voice/data plans just the same as AT&T. Rather than offering a good alternative, they now seem to have joined AT&T in trying to squeeze every dollar they can from their customers.
    I guess they think we should be glad cause they are still SLIGHTLY cheaper than AT&T but slightly cheaper doesnt make a LOYAL customer. So most of us will leave in a heartbeat if AT&T ever decides to lower their rates slightly. Doesnt seem TMo will offer the iphone for awhile and I'm over unlocking and worrying about buying a year old phone off the internet for the same price or more an AT&T user can get it for brand new.

Smh at TMobile. They should be glad iPhone users stayed with them not try and make it MORE diffucult for us than it already is.
    Last edited by RDL; 2009-08-10 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    Anyone still on the 2G can try to spoof the IMEI. I need to downgrade my itunes from 8 and do not have time right now but if feedback suggests it works then I'll do it asap!

Here is how if anyone with a 2G wants to give it a shot and give us feedback. Please don't turn ghost once you get or dont get it working. Any and all feedback is appreciated!!

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...are-2-2-a.html
    Downgraded to 1.1.4 and changed IMEI to my sidekick.
    APN: hiptop.t-mobile.com (no UN & Pass)
    Still no luck I only tried the hiptop APN, but i dont see why the other APN's would work.

Is there a way to reset your SIM or service? Maybe i was "flagged" or something by the cell tower for having an iphone... I tried switching to PAYG and then back to sidekick to no avail.

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone who has the prepaid sidekick plan and has their sidekick working? Are only the iphones non functional, or are there any sidekick users affected also?

Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Downgraded to 1.1.4 and changed IMEI to my sidekick.
    APN: hiptop.t-mobile.com (no UN & Pass)
    Still no luck I only tried the hiptop APN, but i dont see why the other APN's would work.

Is there a way to reset your SIM or service? Maybe i was "flagged" or something by the cell tower for having an iphone... I tried switching to PAYG and then back to sidekick to no avail.

Just out of curiousity, is there anyone who has the prepaid sidekick plan and has their sidekick working? Are only the iphones non functional, or are there any sidekick users affected also?
    Interesting..

Stupid question: could they be doing something as mindless as checking the agent string from Safari? I'm assuming most apps just use the network libraries from the phone, maybe it's always the same agent string for every port 80 request? Is there an easy means of changing the agent string.

a few of my friends here in nyc have sidkick with 1 buk a day and its working fine...i waz gonna put there sim card in my iphone to see if it works but i dont wanna get there sim banned to lol lol...ok this is what i tryed i have to sims one on sk plan buk aday and one basic prepay i with my basic pre pay sim my old tmobile phone connets to tzone.. but when i put sk sim (iphone)in my old phone it does not connet to tzone... so i think there r blocking us.... i don wanna put my other sim in cause dont want it to be band to
    Last edited by groundz0; 2009-08-10 at 01:11 AM.

The problem with the prepaid Sidekick plan was that even if you didn't have enough money in your account to pay for a day of service, web access would still work up to 3 months before they closed your account for inactivity. $10 would get you unlimited SMS for 10 days and unlimited data for 90; quite a steal. Whether or not this had anything to do with T-Mobile tightening up is anyone's guess.

As for the block, it appears only port 80 and 443 are blocked. Mail obviously still works, as does SSH--I'm writing this through a tunneled connection. Skype even works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Interesting..

Stupid question: could they be doing something as mindless as checking the agent string from Safari? I'm assuming most apps just use the network libraries from the phone, maybe it's always the same agent string for every port 80 request? Is there an easy means of changing the agent string.
    Good thinking, but if that were the case then maps, weather, and stocks would work, which they aren't

Faking the IMEI didnt work??! wow, I really thought it would. Makes no sense why it wouldnt if the towers think you are using a sidekick. They didnt block/flag some sim cards completely cause that would be ALOT of work and most users claim once they pop their sim back in their sidekicks internet works fine.

Hmmmm.. I might still try it myself. I'm sure I'll get the same results but its worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    Good thinking, but if that were the case then maps, weather, and stocks would work, which they aren't
    Do those apps use exotic ports? or just port 80 and/or 443 (i.e. http & https)... My theory (bad as it may be) was that if they are all using common libraries (possibly where the user agent is embeded) that even those apps show up as "iPhone Safari webkit" or whatever the full string is. I know I'm reaching here.

Seems odd that they'd be outright blocking ports 80 & 443 unless the sidekick never uses those directly (anybody?). And I do recall a report earlier in this thread or over on macrumours of someone getting access by swapping SIM back to a sidekick. So with that & the IMEI change test reported as failing, what else could they be filtering on? Do GSM Modems have a MAC address that could be banned?

I can confirm that Skype seems to be working, it -looks- like mint.com app is working too (anybody else verify?). So non port 80/443 apps do at least appear to function.

Just throwin out ideas here, this is getting to be more fun then actualy having network access

-Rupert

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Do those apps use exotic ports? or just port 80 and/or 443 (i.e. http & https)... My theory (bad as it may be) was that if they are all using common libraries (possibly where the user agent is embeded) that even those apps show up as "iPhone Safari webkit" or whatever the full string is. I know I'm reaching here.

Seems odd that they'd be outright blocking ports 80 & 443 unless the sidekick never uses those directly (anybody?). And I do recall a report earlier in this thread or over on macrumours of someone getting access by swapping SIM back to a sidekick. So with that & the IMEI change test reported as failing, what else could they be filtering on? Do GSM Modems have a MAC address that could be banned?

I can confirm that Skype seems to be working, it -looks- like mint.com app is working too (anybody else verify?). So non port 80/443 apps do at least appear to function.

Just throwin out ideas here, this is getting to be more fun then actualy having network access

-Rupert
    Yes, it's called an ICCID and it's essentially the ID of your SIM card.

Quote Originally Posted by JacksonBrown View Post
    The problem with the prepaid Sidekick plan was that even if you didn't have enough money in your account to pay for a day of service, web access would still work up to 3 months before they closed your account for inactivity. $10 would get you unlimited SMS for 10 days and unlimited data for 90; quite a steal. Whether or not this had anything to do with T-Mobile tightening up is anyone's guess.

As for the block, it appears only port 80 and 443 are blocked. Mail obviously still works, as does SSH--I'm writing this through a tunneled connection. Skype even works.
    Good catch with the SSH observation! I too can SSH over EDGE without any trouble once I cleared my APN settings entirely.

OK So. Which plan should I be using to use this 2G iPhone I just unlocked! I had a BB Internet plan that i JUST switched to SideKick thinking it would work.. now what?

They're not trying to squeeze people up to the expensive data plans, people are still using T-Zones and Web2Go just fine for the time being. The SK data is different from the others

AT&T is substantially more expensive than T-Mobile. I haven't looked around or confirmed it but they wanted me to agree to a 2 year contract even if I wasn't buying a subsidized iPhone. That doesn't sound right but it could be.
    Last edited by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL; 2009-08-10 at 03:34 AM.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    They're not trying to squeeze people up to the expensive data plans, people are still using T-Zones and Web2Go just fine for the time being. The SK data is different from the others
    Seems to me they're trying to squeeze sidekick plan users to more expensive plans. Considering months ago they increased the sidekick plan to the same rate as all other plans they should allow users who have been with them for a long time to continue using data on the iphone unless users have increased data THAT significantly (tethering, etc). They dont offer the iphone so we go thru enough trouble to get one and unlock it and keep it unlocked so until they offer it let loyal customers be.

This is from someone who has been with TMo for a very long time. I pay monthly. I have no clue or idea about prepaid plans.

what is this ssh tunneling technique im seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    Seems to me they're trying to squeeze sidekick plan users to more expensive plans. Considering months ago they increased the sidekick plan to the same rate as all other plans they should allow users who have been with them for a long time to continue using data on the iphone unless users have increased data THAT significantly (tethering, etc). They dont offer the iphone so we go thru enough trouble to get one and unlock it and keep it unlocked so until they offer it let loyal customers be.

This is from someone who has been with TMo for a very long time. I pay monthly. I have no clue or idea about prepaid plans.
    If that was the case they would be cutting everyone on the SK plan off.
    Maybe you should try the Web2Go

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL View Post
    If that was the case they would be cutting everyone on the SK plan off.
    Maybe you should try the Web2Go
    how do you do this with 3G? im new to iphones.

Thanks
    oh man. WE ALL SHOULD CONTACT THE DEV-TEAM AND SEE IF THEY CAN HELP OUT. This is getting out of hand and I dont want to join AT&T due to their excessive amounts of over charging and stuff. Its crazy how much people pay a month for texting when it costs a cell phone company under 1 cent to send and receive a text. crazy... But in the mean time, call the dev-team google number, leave a message and see if they can help us out!
    ALL THEY DO IS DRINK, SMOKE DOPE, AND TELL JOKES TO THE OLD FOLKS

So is the side kick plan working for anybody right now?

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast