Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick plan stop working with iPhone?

Can somebody tell me whether or not i am allowed to use my iphone for the sidekick prepaid plan?? I spoke to a rep using the number that partaypooper95 put out, who was very friendly and willing to help.

When i said i needed to connect my iphone to tmobile internet, she said i needed some configuration codes and transferred me to a retarded tech in a 3rd world country who told me i cannot use the sidekick plan in an iphone and would not help me any further.

Grr! This is frustrating! Shouldn't they just back off as long as we are paying for the service? Crap!

I was just on chat with T-Mobile, and finally got (what seems to me to be) a straight answer.

Joe R: Jeff the device that you have is a i-Phone device with the serial number of 0************* . This device is not compatible with a Sidekick Pre-Paid data plan.
    Joe R: This was an issue that was brought to our attention as of 8/6/2009.
    Joe R: We do apologize for the inconvenience Jeff, the rate plan that you are on is a Sidekick plan. If you choose to keep the plan you will need a Sidekick Device.

But why does email still work and why only shut off yesterday?

I think they figured out about it on the 6th and maybe started rolling it out on the 8th. Here's the official (according to my CSR) T-M memo passed out to CSR's:

8/06/2009-If customers, inquire why their Internet access has been restricted, explain the service is no longer available.
    Explain to customers they will need to obtain a Sidekick device and Sidekick data plan to use this service.

i have the prepaid sidekick plan mine is working fine after i called t-moible last night as i stated earlier just call t-mobile partypoorer even posed the direct number for the iphone center 1(800)-937-8997

so is that the problem in new york a network outage ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    I think they figured out about it on the 6th and maybe started rolling it out on the 8th. Here's the official (according to my CSR) T-M memo passed out to CSR's:
    Did your CSR offer any alternative plans? It seems strange for T-Mobile to cut off all the unlocked iPhone users out there without an alternative (and more expensive) plan to push us toward.

I called and got the same explanation about the Sidekick policy change. I was on the $20 unlimited data and text plan and they told me that in order to get the data portion working again, I needed to get on a smartphone plan that is $24.99 without unlimited text. If I wanted to get unlimited text that would be an additional $10. I'm no longer under a 2-year contract (it expired) and I asked if changing the data plan would require me to sign up for another 2-year contract. The representative said no, I would still be paying monthly out of contract. I'm in NYC. They said there aren't any power outages in my area that they could see. Hope that helps.

It makes sense that it isn't a power outage since its only sidekick plans that are affected (why aren't people on smartphone plans having trouble?) and phone service is ok, its just data that's not working...
    Last edited by Nepptune77; 2009-08-09 at 08:27 PM.

Maybe a Twitter campaign is in order. @tmobile_usa is monitored and they have even responded to my questions in the past. I've logged a complaint already. Perhaps they could be swayed by opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by volsung View Post
    Did your CSR offer any alternative plans? It seems strange for T-Mobile to cut off all the unlocked iPhone users out there without an alternative (and more expensive) plan to push us toward.
    Yes, the flexpay ($30/month for minutes + $35 for data and texting).

Unfortunately I'm not on twitter but guess I could set up an account just to twit my concerns.

I've been with tmobile for over 7 yrs but will switch if required to pay more. They can see I use very little more data on my iPhone from when I used my SK. I did the first few months then it leveled out. If I'm not saving $ with them then I might as well switch to AT&T and get a new iphone cheap while I'm at it.

Hopefully its an outage BUT I seriously doubt it because mail is working fine so it seems very unlikely.

I'm prob gonna break down and pay. So what is this 24.99 plan?

I wonder what port do Sidekick use to get HTTP data. If it's not port 80 then they might have just blocked it off for us for good.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
    Yes, the flexpay ($30/month for minutes + $35 for data and texting).
    Wow, that's a bit of a jump, especially since I have no need for voice minutes.

Thanks for the info. Looks like no more iPhone EDGE fun for me, though. (And I guess this means my CSR was just misinformed about the problem in my area being a network outage.)

Quote Originally Posted by r3skyline View Post
    I'm prob gonna break down and pay. So what is this 24.99 plan?
    If your currently on the old $19.99 plan u get unlimited text/data for that price but now you will need to pay $24.99 for JUST unlimited data and an addition $9.99 for unlimited texts. So you will be paying $15 more a month than the $19.99 you have been paying.

I understand is "just" $15 (if you think $15 is nothing, I look at it like an additional $180 a year and thats alot IMO).. but again I'd rather pay alil more or the same to AT&T an have the option to buy a cheap iphone and not have to worry about unlocking AND have 3G. I always said I'd never switch but honestly I'm pissed and that often helps to change your mind.. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by jss85 View Post
    i have the prepaid sidekick plan mine is working fine after i called t-moible last night as i stated earlier just call t-mobile partypoorer even posed the direct number for the iphone center 1(800)-937-8997
    Yeah, I called that number to get redirected to a foreign call center where they told me the same thing I got on chat.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchron View Post
    I wonder what port do Sidekick use to get HTTP data. If it's not port 80 then they might have just blocked it off for us for good.
    Not sure what port it is but hopefully someone else with a sidekick plan is computer savvy and cares enough to take the time to create a hack. Not sure how many of old sidekick plan users there are tho... I'm guess not that many so our odds are pretty low.

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    Not sure what port it is but hopefully someone else with a sidekick plan is computer savvy and cares enough to take the time to create a hack. Not sure how many of old sidekick plan users there are tho... I'm guess not that many so our odds are pretty low.
    AFAIK, I know most Sidekick data goes through a Danger proxy server that reformats the stuff and compresses it for quicker and less bandwidth intensive delivery to the device. Maybe they shut off connection to Port 80 and that's why Email and Internet radio still works?

Hey guys im new to the board but im having the same issue.I just spoke to a tmbile representative and she told me exactly what was going on.She said they updated their servers to block off other phones from using other types of data packages.apparently its not just the sidekick. she gave me an example of not being able to use a G1 data plan on a blackberry anymore.So this is a permanent change.she prompted me to change to the smart phone data service for 34.99 a month.theres no way im payin that when i only pay 20 for my sidekick.
    any input?

I just spoke to a T-Mobile rep and he said he was informed a few days in advance that the sidekick data plan would not be working with the iphone. I'm really confused now and I'm just going to wait it out until we have a definite solution.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast