Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick plan stop working with iPhone?

VPN is the solution! It gets you out of a bind when you need remote data.

Some thoughts i would like to share are... dont waste your time with weather, for some reason this breaks my connection frequently... try to sync your weather near wifi is what i find to be the best bet. ( i sync every morn and base my wardrobe on the weather so i have no problem remembering)

Also... I have yet to try but for using google maps try to have offline data available locally, on 2g it "triangulates" your location instantly but the blue dot appears on a blank (loading...) page for quite a while (much much longer than EDGE) and sometimes ofen like desribed with weather (above) it breaks the connection

However i found responding to this thread remotely (via free VPN)to be no issue!

My school uses clean access agent for all wifi connecions and thru further exploration of VPN my school wifi just became more convienant!

Unfortunately no wifi in classroom so i used VPN on edge and by using a system of clicking a page, then jotting some quick class notes... then continuing my browsing. I found the page loaded in ample time to keep me thoroughly entertained!

I didnt think of this till now but i suppose insomnia should keep the VPN connected at the expense of some battery ( better then reconnecting several times in class)

If you cant connect with edge turn wifi off and try again, this works for me even when i am outside of wifi range.

SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR ****: Wanna make a quick buck? Add SBS toggle for VPN to cydia and ill hapily buy it for a dollar!

All the luxuries of the sidekick plan are back, minus a bit bandwith and push notifications (cept mail!)
    Last edited by jonnyboomboom; 2009-08-12 at 08:09 AM.

Default 9.99 plan?
    hey guys..um i was just thinkin. if we already have unlimited texting on the account can we add the 9.99 web2go instead of 19.99?
    would it work the same?
    Unsupported Browser

info is towards the middle.

the link says unsupported browser but its just a link to tmobiles info on it.
    Last edited by rebel101150; 2009-08-12 at 09:07 AM. Reason: fix

yes it works the same.

Lovely

Not

What APN and other settings do I need to enter for MMS to work with the web2go? Thanks folks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am also looking for MMS setup info for Flexpay 29.99 plan with 19.99 web2go any info would help. Is there a Carrier package in cydia that would support this?

which plan is the one that goes wit the internet2.voicestream.com Apn ?
    Im tryna use wap.voicestream.com but its no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertleehadley View Post
    What APN and other settings do I need to enter for MMS to work with the web2go? Thanks folks.
    install the carrier bundle in cydia named legacy flexpaid/postpaid (internet2 apn)
    Quote Originally Posted by loffyg View Post
    I am also looking for MMS setup info for Flexpay 29.99 plan with 19.99 web2go any info would help. Is there a Carrier package in cydia that would support this?
    t-mobile flexpay/postpaid legacy in cydia
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie52592 View Post
    which plan is the one that goes wit the internet2.voicestream.com Apn ?
    Im tryna use wap.voicestream.com but its no good.
    read the sig - or install the cydia legacy flexpay/postpaid bundle. it will work for web2go

Lovely

Not

I went to a T-Mobile store and they gave me the Shadows IMEI Code, I then called up T-Mobile on my phone, told them I would like to change my Sidekick Unlimited Plan to the Web2Go Unlimited Plan ($19.95), they said ookay no problem, and now I'm saving 5cents every month and still have unlimited texting and web usage, I should of change a while back...Also, if you don't use texting it's only $9.99 a month. So all of you with this problem find an extra IMEI Code or maybe your local T-Mobile can give you one, and call up and say you would like to change your plan, DO NOT MENTION you have an iPhone, if they ask why just say because it's a temporary phone.

@johnny boom boom what free VPN are you using?

I was using Free Hotspot Shield VPN, now I have setup a VPN server at the house. It is running on a Mac Mini using software iVPN 2.4b.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear22 View Post
    I was using Free Hotspot Shield VPN, now I have setup a VPN server at the house. It is running on a Mac Mini using software iVPN 2.4b.
    So using VPN via edge you can establish a connection with your home server and then utilize your home internet connection... am I understanding this correctly?

Are your APN settings all blank as well?

How is the reliability and speed (more importantly reliability) compared to Hotspot Shield free? It can sometimes take me up to 4 attempts to connect to Hotspot Shield...

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyboomboom View Post
    So using VPN via edge you can establish a connection with your home server and then utilize your home internet connection... am I understanding this correctly?

Are your APN settings all blank as well?

How is the reliability and speed (more importantly reliability) compared to Hotspot Shield free? It can sometimes take me up to 4 attempts to connect to Hotspot Shield...
    That is exactly what I am doing. Even the newer wireless routers will allow a VPN setup on them independently. Some ISP's may be blocking the VPN ports, I would do a quick scan to be sure. 500, 1701 are the only two I needed with iVPN and port mapped them to the mini. I find it to be just as fast and more reliable than Hotspot. I like the fact that I do know where my data is going. I still have the hiptop APN in the settings and it is working. I have not tried with noting there.

I am sure there will be a hack for this soon. Being that the VPN is using alternate ports to get the job done, another proxy/port map hack a lot like the t-zones should do the trick.

Thanks for the tip about using iVPN. I've been using HotspotShield for the past few days for temporary access, but it's really unreliable. I set up iVPN on an old iMac tucked away in my closet, and it's working wonderfully!

Can one of you tell me how to make a private iVPN? And how is the speed compare to old sidekick prepaid?

Default windows home vpn solution?
    I like the idea of maintaining the sidekick account, and installing a vpn client on your home computer. T-Mobile only blocked port 80(web) and 443(ssl), so a virtual private network (vpn) to reroute the iphone data through a non-standard port is the answer. Yes, there is overhead in compressing the tcp packets which results in a small performance hit, but we are poor students here that can put up with it, not performance business users.

I prefer routing my data through my home computer, because a) I can trust my ISP more than a 3rd party, and b) I know that my computer/isp has enough bandwidth to not experience lag that you'll find in free vpns.

However, The mentioned program ivpn is only available to Macs. What is the solution to the other 90% of computer users? (Windows).

I've already got SSH running on my home computer to route my firefox browsing at class securely and anonymously through my home pc.

I wish an SSH server would work But it won't, so can someone provide a link to short tutorial explaining the process for an iphone user that wishes to route their traffic through their home Windows based PC?

Quote Originally Posted by spick View Post
    Can one of you tell me how to make a private iVPN? And how is the speed compare to old sidekick prepaid?
    I haven't got any VPN tips, but I did speedtest my iPhone on EDGE+VPN:

download = 117 kbps
    upload = 43 kbps
    ping = 4155 ms

Sadly, I don't have any speed information from before the Sidekick plan changed, so I don't know how this compares.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNamed View Post
    However, The mentioned program ivpn is only available to Macs. What is the solution to the other 90% of computer users? (Windows).
    If 90% is true then the windows based users should have about 9 times more options for a free vpn server software.

I have had great speeds and perfect connections. My speeds are a little better than above, but not much. I plan to do a test today when I am in a area of full bar strength. I have no service at home, thus the reason I use prepaid.

Quote Originally Posted by lightyear22 View Post
    If 90% is true then the windows based users should have about 9 times more options for a free vpn server software.
    Those are just the percentage of windows users I have heard reported. Yes, then there should be 9x more options out there. But,.. Guys, this is not a Mac vs PC vs MyJohnsonIsBiggerThanYours. Let's keep it on topic... just wanted to say that before it gets out of hand. Your comment was fine lightyear, I just wanted to cut those OS bashers off at the pass.

I think there may be others here interested in finding a tutorial that shows you how to set up a vpn server on their home pc to be used as a proxy for the iphone.
    Last edited by RandomNamed; 2009-08-15 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomNamed View Post
    Those are just the percentage of windows users I have heard reported. Yes, then there should be 9x more options out there. But,.. Guys, this is not a Mac vs PC vs MyJohnsonIsBiggerThanYours. Let's keep it on topic... just wanted to say that before it gets out of hand. Your comment was fine lightyear, I just wanted to cut those OS bashers off at the pass.

I think there may be others here interested in finding a tutorial that shows you how to set up a vpn server on their home pc to be used as a proxy for the iphone.
    Sorry. That was not what I intended to start. I googled free VPN L2TP for osx and iVPN was on the first page. I don't use Windows, so I can't do the tutorial for that OS. I know that there are windows solutions, but I can't comment being a mac user. Again, I was just trying to make the point of there SHOULD be more software options on the PC side.

I just got the ivpn software but having trouble configuring it because I'm running router a router and the ip address/server address are giving me a head ache. Anyone using ivpn plz help me out.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast