Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sidekick plan stop working with iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Camilla View Post
    $19.99 Web and Unlimited messaging may work for you initially, but it will fail. Eventually you'll get a message that you need to upgrade your service in order to access the web.

T-Mobile is cracking down on this. Any non T-mobile device will require the Smartphone plan (24.99 or 34.99).
    Considering web2go is for "all other phones" (it says it on the tmobile website) .. I don't think it will get blocked in the near future or atleast I'm styaing optimistic that it won't be blocked.

Another option I didn't try but was suggested was to be transfered to billing and ask for the smartphone $19.99 grandfather plan since I already had the Sidekick grandfathered $19.99 plan and they might do it since I've been with them so long and might consider leaving if my data plan is increased. Didnt try it but anyone else considering changing plans can try that first.

My MMS still works, perfectly fine. But I can't get any other data. Sidekick unlimited plan iPhone 3G 3.0.

the web2go is great,i got it today and cut off my sk plan,the only time i got that error message to upgrade my plan is when i use any other apn other any internet2.voicestream.com

all works now

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    I agree it wont be as easy to go back to the grandfather plan as promised by the rep.

I just figured web2go was supposedly unlimited data and texts for the same $19.99 so I went for it. In retrospect I'd MUCH rather have kept the sidekick plan because unlike the web2go it clearly states unlimited data not the 100mb cap that web2go says. Tp me thats a big difference because Tmo can at some point start charging users who go over. I need to check my average data use to see if 100mb is more than enough or not.

Maybe I should have used the VPN workaround and kept my SK plan..I turn off wifi when I'm not using it so thats no biggie.. but is it a free service? And have u honestly used it enough to state the speeds are consistently ok and u do not get kicked off it alot or have to deal with it freezing up? Please let me know thanks.
    I've used it for a couple of hours. I'm on a 2G iphone, so me and speed not so much. But, for me, it buys me a little more time to figure out a long term solution. Why not give it a try for a day or two while you ponder your options? It seems, btw, like a reputable company. I googled their windows and mac options, as well as reviews of their iphone options.
    They don't ask you for ANY private info.

mines on ebay.id rather sell it than have to go with the terrible att service ugh.
    8GB iPhone Unlocked and Jailbroken! NR! - eBay (item 220465429451 end time Aug-13-09 19:02:48 PDT)
    bid if u wish.great shape.
    and what if u cant afford a vpn client.then your screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel101150 View Post
    mines on ebay.id rather sell it than have to go with the terrible att service ugh.
    8GB iPhone Unlocked and Jailbroken! NR! - eBay (item 220465429451 end time Aug-13-09 19:02:48 PDT)
    bid if u wish.great shape.
    and what if u cant afford a vpn client.then your screwed.
    I thought the VPN client they were mentioning was free? Anyway u have the $19.99 unlimited data and txt web2go option too.

I would like to know what is the best option on getting Internet working on my iPhone 3G.... I have a monthly sidekick plan and I called tmobile but all they give me is the smartplan option... I tried getting the web2go but they said no, so what can I do.... HELP PLEASE... Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke21 View Post
    I would like to know what is the best option on getting Internet working on my iPhone 3G.... I have a monthly sidekick plan and I called tmobile but all they give me is the smartplan option... I tried getting the web2go but they said no, so what can I do.... HELP PLEASE... Thanks in advance
    IIf u read this thread someone mentioned what u can do to get web2go. You can do it yourself online. Just pick a phone (shadow or razr should work) as the current phone u are using and then go to change service and I read web2go will be an option.

Good luck.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RDL For This Useful Post:

Smoke21 (2009-08-11)

yea but what should i put as the ADN???

also how can i get picture messaging??
    Last edited by Smoke21; 2009-08-11 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by RDL View Post
    It wont be still $20 BUT I was told the rep put a note on my account that if I change my mind I do not like my flip phone and web2go plan that I can still go back to my sidekick plan for $19.99. I HOPE this info is correct but who knows. Just make sure the rep makes a note on your account and hope for the best.

Seems it would be harder for them to block web2go users cause its used on SO many different phones. Much easy to block nonsidekick users. I say go for it! U dont have that much a choice anyway so..

How is the speed? I was going to look into that but I was also a little weary of going through some unknown 3rd party. Do they charge or is it free? Seems alil strange but if it works then.. just dont check your bank account or anything private like that on your iphone if u want to be extra cautious.
    I've had mixed reactions to the free 3rd party VPN. Yes, it does work. BUT, it's very inconsistent when connecting. Many times I just use EDGE to check 1 thing, then turn it off, so I've had to constantly connect and disconnect the VPN.

I'd say around 2/3 of the time I use the VPN, I get either a time out error, or it connects but not to the Internet. Each time I get this I have to disconnect and reconnect

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mossme89 For This Useful Post:

RDL (2009-08-12)

Quote Originally Posted by mossme89 View Post
    I've had mixed reactions to the free 3rd party VPN. Yes, it does work. BUT, it's very inconsistent when connecting. Many times I just use EDGE to check 1 thing, then turn it off, so I've had to constantly connect and disconnect the VPN.

I'd say around 2/3 of the time I use the VPN, I get either a time out error, or it connects but not to the Internet. Each time I get this I have to disconnect and reconnect
    I agree. It's a little dicey. But, it buys me time. And perhaps I'll choose a pay VPN, since lots of smart folks suggest we use one anyway...

just changed my plan,but can still use my kick
    so wats da apn to web2go ?

For the HotspotShield VPN when i'm not on wifi i can't connect, isn't the purpose to use edge while away from wifi? Can anybody help me with connection to the HotspotShield vpn over edge?

Vpns work. Not as fast as the slow edge... But I suppose it at least functions.
    Last edited by jonnyjew; 2009-08-12 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Piopvghh

YES... it works. I've been on it for a good while.

Lovely

Not

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyjew View Post
    VPN has nothing to do with connecting to the Internet. You have to already be connected to edge or wifi to use VPN.. Which is just a virtual private network. I don't even know why we are talking about vpns here because that does not fix our problem. Can anyone verify 100% that the web2go plan actually works with the internet2.voicestream apn ?
    It does fix the problem. Let's go back and summarize some of the findings of this thread:

* On August 6, a memo went out to customer service reps (which clearly not all of them saw) informing them that non-Sidekick devices would no longer work on the prepaid Sidekick plan.

* Sometime on August 8th, T-Mobile rolled out a change to enforce this rule. Contrary to what you might expect, the change causes the EDGE network to only block requests to ports 80 and 443 (HTTP and HTTPS).

* Poorly informed customer service reps confused a large number of us by giving us incorrect or incomplete information about the policy change. Enough of them did know about the change to make it clear by Sunday that this was a deliberate action by T-Mobile and not just a service outage.

* The iPhones on the prepaid Sidekick plan continued to work as phones, send and receive text messages, and transmit data on other ports besides the HTTP(S) ports. This means that even after T-Mobile "banned" non-Sidekick devices, such devices could send and receive email, use Skype, and SSH to other systems. These tasks all occur on other ports.

* Because not all ports were blocked, one could still initiate VPN connections to an outside server using the built-in support of iPhone OS. PPTP does not work, but L2TP does. There are free VPN servers out there, but have been reported to be unreliable (though this may just be sampling bias). So far a few people (including me) have tried publicvpn.com ($7/month) and had success.

* The VPN technique works because it transparently routes all traffic encrypted over an unblocked port. This allows all applications which did transfer over ports 80 and 443 (nearly all of them) to function again.

* The overhead of VPN does add additional lag, but it is functional.

* There is no guarantee that the VPN method will continue to work in the future, but the monetary risk is low as long as you keep the balance on your prepaid account minimal.

* The alternative to using VPN is to switch to one of the more expensive or unfavorable (i.e. contract) published plans on the T-Mobile website, or try to trick one of the customer service reps into giving you a better deal by convincing them you do not have a smartphone. There are many options here, as all cell phone companies seem to enjoy creating a twisted mish-mash of overlapping plans to thoroughly confuse customers. Much of the discussion has focused on this option, which I won't try to summarize since I barely understand it.

can I still switch the sim card to my lx and have the data plan again?

This sucks, and I was enjoying my iPhone

hi to all i switched to the web2go plan and entered the internet2 APN but all day I've waited and i still get cannot open page... Am i doing something wrong or what should i do to get my internet back up working??? Thanks in advance

smoke try different apns but mines worked instantly after i changed my plan to the web2go unlimited,but i remember some kid here said he had to wait a few for it to take effect

I just switched my sim card back to my LX so I'm gonna ride the sklx for a while until something gets fixed up. I'm starting to miss my iPhone already.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast