Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question about 3G on T-mobile

iPhone? More like MyPhone 97vrsix's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Question about 3G on T-mobile
    Ok this is a quick question.. I have done a lot of forum reading, But I am looking to get to feelings of others.

Right now I pay about 89.99 for 1000 min's Unlimited text, data, bla bla.. I have a 2G 8Gig Iphone.. I was considering moving to AT&T.. But the plan is a bit more.. I know you get a little more, but oh well..

WHat I really would like to do is get a 3G Iphone, and run T-Mobile.. I hear you can upgrade your 2G for a 3G if i has water damage. My phone is perfect.. But I don't want to pay 179.99 for a G1.. I am at my 2 Year limit.. As well, I know there is a new Iphone coming out.. But Even then, Upgrading to a 3G will give me GPS, and some other good things, Like better battery.

My question.. Seeing how unlocking is getting a bit harder, Do you think it's a bad idea to get a 3G from Apple.. In other words, Do you think that the baseband may be too new?

And I would love some ideas.. Or if someone is looking to trade for a 2G..

As well.. Any way to check what the baseband is before i buy it at apple?

I'm running 2.2 right now, and have held off on 2.2.1 Again, My phone looks brand new.. So that not a reason for it.. Just GPS, and such..

I'm located in western mass.. Been working with them for a while.. I would like not to use a turbo sim.. But will consider..

Again, I am looking for people who wanted to do the same, and did or did not for what ever reason.. Thanks for your feed back!
    New unibody Macbook Pro, the jacked Model.. Iphone 2G, and 3G, 3G's, And 4G.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The baseband on a new phone will be 2.30.03 and will not be downgradable. The only way to unlock would be turbosim. The first generation iPhones work just as well on T-Mobile as the iPhone 3G.

I believe the replacements for water damaged phones are refurbs not brand new? If so there is a possibility that the BL might be 5.8 so the BB could be downgraded - but it is only a slight possibility and you couldn't rely on it. Also, don't you have to sign up for a 2 year contract on AT&T to get the 'cheap' replacement?

As Poseidon79 says, there really isn't a lot of benefit in the 3G on T-Mob in the USA. If you're happy with the 2G why not stick with that? What will T-Mob give you to renew your contract? Here in the UK they give either a free phone (which you can then sell on eBay) or money off. I get 15/month discount off my already discounted tariff so pay 20.51 for 9oo mins or 1800 texts and unlimited internet but paid 270 for my iPhone off eBay - but here in the UK you can use it on T-Mobs very fast HSDPA network

The new iPhone should be out in a couple of months - if you can hang on until then it might be worth waiting to see what it has.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Just a quick add, I biggest UPgrade to a 3G will be GPS, and a new battery.. Mine is not that bad.. But again.. Its older. I know there is not much of an upgrade.. But those are two things i want..

As well. Yes, I know I would be looking at a referbed.. But I think you can just buy the referbed.. With out contract. I don't know, this is why I am asking a little more..

I feel the same though.. may be a gamble..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

for 90 a month phone bill, i'd go to at&t. i have the same plan as you and only pay 61 =P lol. 1k minutes, unltd nghts/wknds unltd data/text/mms

but as the rest said, new phones come with newer baseband. 2g works fine, google maps is almost dead on when im traveling around, street for street, corner for corner. the newer iphone wont be unlockable for a while i assume, each newer piece has taken time to unlock. 3g for example took about 5 or so months.

2g iphone works great, only thing you'll get different is a newer phone, and gps
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Thanks

And I think that is what I want.. What should I Keep my eye open for on the 3G to be 100% with T-mobile..

As well, Does the turbo sim, or rebel have any luck with the new firmware..?

the 3g will never be 100% with t-mobile. at&t & t-mobile's 3g bands are different, so you wouldn't even be able to use the 3g. and honestly, the gps isn't all that. AND the battery life on the 3g is abysmal on the 3g compared to the first gen because 3g consumes more battery life. so honestly... you HAVE the best iphone you can have on t-mo minus the gps, which really isn't all that fabulous.

however, if you did switch to at&t, which i wouldn't recommend, you would gain 3g speed, and gps. but that's it.

Thanks

corizzle, please don't mistake my questions for lack of smarts, but thanks for you advise!!

GPS is a huge advantage with a lot of aps and things i do. I know the bands are different, that is a no brainer. But you are wrong, the phone does not suck more power all the time. if you leave 3g radio on, it will suck, but if you turn that off, and just run edge, the phone will operate just like a 2G, and have GPS.

A battery and GPS is my major advantage. And those are my reasons why.. The GPS, i think works very good for spots that dont have towers every where.. the 2G uses time cal. to cord your location.. GPS.. well we all know.. it may be a little off, but much better then 2G.

i love my 2G its perfect condition! it's an 8gig, i'de also like to upgrade to 16gig to add video and more pictures.

So. i guess at this point, its really about what to look for.. i think rebel will do 2.2.1 up to 2.30? although they mention the 3.0 firmware with 5.30? i think? may be wrong..

As well, i am not looking forward to the 3G case, i like my 2Gcase, its perfect.. but i'll bite the bullet and look for a black 16g..

Anyone have one for trade? i also have everything for mine! box, bla bla. tons of extras!

Thanks again for everyones info! Please keep it coming..

Ok, so.. What luck has anyone had with T-mobile and a 3G running 2.2.1 and baseband of 2.30.03.. With out a rebel sim?
    Last edited by 97vrsix; 2009-05-13 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

All the Piggyback SIMS have problems. Do NOT use them unless you have no choice.
    Your best option is to get a second hand one with BB 2.28.00 and use YellowSn0w.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

BL 5.8 was only on phones made upto some point in week 29 of 2008 (not long after the 3G was released) so very few people have it.
    The easiest way to tell is download FuzzyBB downgrader from Cydia and try it - it tells you what your BL is and if you have 5.8 (which shows as 5.08 - just to confuse people!)it will downgrade it, but unfortunatly most people have 5.9 or 6.x.
    The BL can not be changed even, it seams, by Apple, as refurbs often have 5.8 which they haven't changed.
    The FW3.0 comes with BB4.xx (it changes with each Beta) which can be downgraded to 2.28 if you have BL 5.8 but only after downgrading to FW 2.21. Downgrading the FW does not change the BB.

I have heard some people using the rebel sim and turbo sim, I went to the web sites and looked at some new kit's..

This question is directed to the people who use one of these chip's, only please. I see a lot, no cut, sticky, even ones (rebel) that come with a program kit.. I thought that was not a bad idea.. Anyone? And where did you get it? thanks so much!

the 'cut' ones wee the original - all are 'no cut' now.
    I tried a Rebel when 2.28 first came out with a programmer - it didn't work and you needed a Nokia to even use it! There CS was useless and it was a total waste of money.
    For T-mob in the USA lots of people have reported success with the Gevey II - but others have problems with it!
    Make sure whichever one you do get is guaranteed to work with your BB.
    Here in the UK I found eBay to be the best place - certainly a lot better than buying direct from Rebel!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

My brother has his 3G on Tmobile via a Gevey II. Had some problems at first, but now its working fine. I still feel like my 2G is more reliable though.

Thanks

Maybe I should just find me a 16 gig ver. of the 2G.. But then again, no GPS.. and battery..
    Well, all i can hope for is the DEV team to work that 3G, and crack 3.0 with the new BB and BL.. I don't know..

I want a 3G for testing.. So if anyone has an extra 3G, I can offer TON's of stuff.. I think i'm gonna keep my 2G and get a new battery, and the larger IC board.. (but i'll be at the cost of a 3G) the dilemma..

Thanks for the info guy's.. Keep it coming please.. work this page for those questions of what us T-mobile people should do.. Knowing that the new Iphone will prob not be on our (tmo) FREQ. as well.. WTF to do will be the question.