Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: upgradng to 2.2.1

Default upgradng to 2.2.1
    I was wonder if anyone has upgraded to 2.2.1 or even 3.0 firware and can still unlock your 3g iphone? i want to upgrade but am not sure if the other versions are unlocked. can anyone send me a link?

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Yes, Upgrade is cool to do. for 3.0 there are several threads on this. Search to forum.
    Good luck

iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Thanks

Or if you want to just upgrade to 2.2.1. instead of 3.0 for now you could try downloading this it's a jailbroken 2.2.1 FW with baseband 2.28.00 and Cydia. you will need to download yellowsn0w to unlock it.

it's activated with a 695MB partition (stock is 500) and NO bootlogos (i don't really think their that cool anyway). I've NEVER had problems with this Custom Firmware and my iPhone almost NEVER crashes. my "Available Memory" in SBSettings is always at a good 47-51MB. I don't need my phone unlocked anymore but if you do just use yellowsn0w with this and it'll might be better for now than upgradeing to 3.0 if you need it unlocked, cuz even after the 3.0 drops it may take awhile for the dev-team to come up with an Unlock for it.IMO I'm not gonna upgrade until winterboard is ready at least. but this is firmware is definitely the easy way and well worth it in the meantime.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gomer713 For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2009-05-11)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Yes, Upgrade is cool to do. for 3.0 there are several threads on this. Search to forum.
    Good luck
    Upgrading to 3.0 will lose the ability to unlock with YellowSn0w.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    Upgrading to 3.0 will lose the ability to unlock with YellowSn0w.
    ^^^I guess she had another Blonde Moment......LOL j/k

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Zwayne For This Useful Post:

Bo Troxell (2009-05-11)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zwayne View Post
    ^^^I guess she had another Blonde Moment......LOL j/k

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

In my opinion, just upgrade to 2.2.1 to be safe. It's a cool process doing it with Qwkpwn if you're a beginner.
    *T*Mo**

thank you to every one!!! im going to try and upgrade to 2.2.1

Thanks

just a side note bro in case you don't know. if you use the firmware I posted above, then you WON'T need QuickPWN at all since it's already Jailbroken. alls you'll have to do is: Download it>> open iTunes>> connect your iPhone>> press "Shift" on your keyboard and click "Restore">> choose the FW (wherever you saved it at)>> and click OK. iTunes will do the rest and when it's all said and done you'll have a unlockable 3G iPhone on a custom 2.2.1 FW

like i said before just got into Cydia and download Yellowsn0w and let it due its thing after you do all of this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gomer713 For This Useful Post:

bz06er (2009-05-12)

i have a big problem, it upgraded my modem firmware to 2.30.03 how do i down grade? also is there any way to get all my contact infor from my phone?

So you didn't use gomer713's custom ROM?
    unless you have BL 5.8 (how old is your iPhone?) you are stuffed.
    Don't you synch your contacts with your computer?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

bz06er (2009-05-12)

my phones not that old, maybe 6 months. yes i did use gomer713's custom ROM,but it will not unlock it just stay searching, any indeas?

Have you installed YellowSn0w?

What BB do you have?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

bz06er (2009-05-12)

i install yellowsn0w, but i upgraded through itunes and gave me the bootloader 5.09( i think) how do i downgrade? thanks for the help!!!

What BaseBand do you have (Modem Firmware under settings)?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

bz06er (2009-05-12)

i have 2.30.0

is there are way down downgrade once you have the bootloader 5.09
    Last edited by bz06er; 2009-05-12 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

If you'd used the custom ROM you would have 2.28 - you can't change the BL and now you've upgraded your bB to 2.30 you are stuffed!

Thanks

the firmware I posted had 2.28.00 I don't know how got 2.30.00 from. Also I have BL 5.8 to my understanding you're stuck with 5.9 if that's what your phone came with

You can't change the BL.
    If he got BB 2.30 he probably just restored from iTunes rather than selecting your FW

26. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

gomer713 (2009-05-13)

Thanks

yeah I was thinking the same thing, I appreciate you explaining it to him in the meantime. I must have not been clear enough when I explained how to do it. So is there nothing he can do at this point as far as unlocking goes? Maybe you can clear all this up for anyone that doesn't know or isn't 100% sure like myself... The way I've always known it to be is: (and lets pretend there was no such thing as TurboSims)

You can't upgrade to 2.2.1 and have the ability to unlock UNLESS you use a custom made 2.2.1 FW with yellowsn0w requirements.

Bootloader and Baseband are two different things. BL 5.8 (which is mostly on older 3G's)is downgradable, while 5.9 (which is on slightly newer 3G's) is not. And 2.28 is yellowsn0w's friend while 2.30 is not.

2.30 can be downgraded IF one has a 5.8 BL, if one has 5.9 AND 2.30 BB they're screwed? (for now at least).

please correct me where I'm wrong and again, I'm just trying to make sure I understand it fully I'm sure I misunderstand something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast