Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A whole bunch of questions.

Question A whole bunch of questions.
    Hey guys. I'm a new member so please take it easy on me if some of these questions were asked already. I come in good intentions.

I have been an Apple fan for many years, but never got into the whole iPhone thing. I love my TMobile service and plans, and wouldn't give it up for anything. It's also very important for me to keep TMobile because with the amount of time I stay on the phone with MyFaves, I would be charged a whole lot of money on AT&T. So this is a must for me. Anyways, I finally decided to try and find an iPhone and get it unlocked. Unlocking would be easy, as I have a brother who knows the whole unlocking/jailbreaking thing.

Now, my questions are...

- Is there anything that is different besides the service? Like is everything slower? I do know someone who has an unlocked tmobile iphone and it took a while for any of his apps to load.

- Does the app store still work?

- Would it be possible for me to use programs, like for instance, Bank Of America app and such like that?

- Google Maps? GPS?

Currently I have a Blackberry Curve 2 8900. I love the phone, but it's time to go iPhone. I have an unlimited data plan with it, for those wondering. Thanks for any help.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

everything works except for visual voicemail which is a at&t server feature

all appstore apps work, all apps load the same. tmobile and being unlocked has nothing to do with it. if your friends apps loaded slow its cuz he has a crap load of apps on his phone lol. google maps/gps/youtube/itunes/ipod all works

nothing should stop you from enjoying it as much as an at&t customer would.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smirkis For This Useful Post:

Shadow Nest (2009-05-03)

Thanks for the help man.

And whats this I here about a 3G iPhone not working for Tmobile or something? Can someone clear that up for me?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

No, it works with T Mo fine, no worries.

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Nest View Post
    Thanks for the help man.

And whats this I here about a 3G iPhone not working for Tmobile or something? Can someone clear that up for me?

Thanks.
    The current software for the iPhone 3G is 2.2.1, and with 2.2 we could unlock the phone using a tool called 'yellowsnow'. It was just something which unlocked the baseband. However, with the 2.2.1 update, they updated the baseband, and now it's not unlockable. Your best bet would be to purchase a 2G iPhone, as they can all be unlocked, and you won't have to worry about updating the software or anything like that so far.

Or, you could buy a 3G iPhone, but make sure it's at the 2.28 baseband. To check this open Settings>General>About Then scroll down to modem firmware.

For example, here's my phone. I updated to the 3.0 Beta, and that made mine 4.24.02. You want to find one that is 2.28.00

That's the only problem people are having with T-Mobile, or any other carrier, is that it's not unlocked or they updated the phone by mistake. But, once it's unlocked, it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Nest View Post
    Thanks for the help man.

Thanks.
    It depends where you are. Here in the UK it works with T-Mobile's very fast HSDPA network.

If, on the other hand, you are in the USA it will not work with 3G/HSDPA on T-Mobile, you will be limited to their Edge network which is very slow. Everything wioll work and it will still work on WiFi, just not 3g/HSDPA on t-Mob in the USA.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

When they say that "3G won't work on T-Mobile", they mean 3G Network (speed)...
    You would still be able to have internet access via EDGE.
    Housekeepin'?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have a 2G iphone on T-Mobile with myfaves at the moment. It works flawlessly. The myfaves application won't run on the iphone, but the contacts you have set up as your faves will still work as such. As for the 3G iphone baseband issue, there is a way to downgrade the baseband now, which can be found under the "iPhone News" topic on the forums. As far as I know, the 3G works decent after a bit of tinkering but the 2G is fine seeing as you can't use T-Mobiles 3G network with the iphone right now. Hope I solved some of your questions.

P.S. The 8900 Curves are awesome. :P