Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone on G1 Data plan?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone on G1 Data plan?
    Sorry if this was discussed, but when I searched, I found nothing. Can anyone confirm if the iphone will work on the G1 data plan? I'm getting a G1 today, and would love to be able to switch between that and my iphone. If it does work, what's the apn that is to be used?

Thanks,
    Jesse

5/8/09 Update: I can confirm that the G1/Smartphone plan does work with the iPhone. After about 45 min, I was able to load up web pages. I am currently using the epc.tmobile.com APN. T-Mobile customer care is awesome, went it, said I wanted the 34.99 plan, and that I will be using it on an iPhone, the lady said awesome, and went on to activate the sim.
    Last edited by Slovig; 2009-05-09 at 02:06 AM. Reason: It Works!

Well, I can tell you that it will work. I had a G1 for a week and went back to the iphone. I switched to the G1 plan then went back to the iphone. The system caught up after a couple of days and moved my plan back to the non G1 plan but I had no issues while I was on a G1 plan using the iphone. I used epc.tmobile.com on both plans and had no issues. Hope that helps!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

ive messed around with g1s and noticed from the factory they use epc.tmobile.com as the standard apn. maybe thats why it works so well for us. it was the new apn for the g1s
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm having a hard time trying to decide which data plan to get, the sidekick, the g1, or trying to get the 5.99 plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The $5.99 plan is no longer available if you don't already subscribe to it. There are mixed responses about the compatibility of the sidekick plan on the iPhone. I personally have never been able to get it to work on an iPhone. The best thing would be the web2go or total/unlimited internet plans.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,540 Times in 7,596 Posts

From what I understand the "web2go" plan will no longer work on the iPhone anymore. Not from personal experience, just what I've read here on the forum.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

get the g1 data plan with 200 text for 24,99 (or try anyway). damn these plan got expensive over the past year!
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was planning on getting the Unlimited Web/Text plan for 35. While yes, the plans have gotten more expensive, it's still cheaper than AT&T. Their plan is 30 for data and 20 for unlimited texting. I'm gonna go Friday, and try it out. Only thing I don't like, is how T-Mobile is like AT&T and doesn't offer just the data and texting for the G1, but since I'll most likely be on a family plan, it doesn't bother me too much. I'll report back with any findings as soon as I try it out. If it works, maybe we can get it mentioned in some sort of guide or a sticky, as when you go to search for anything involving G1, it errors, because it's too short of a search term.

Thanks

Technically the plan you are referring to is not a "G1" plan. It's called the T-Mobile smart phone data + unlimited text package plan.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, the G1 plans are the same prices ($24.99 and $34.99 for the limited/unlimited texts) but they do list them as different than the smartphone unlimited plans. I presume this is because they include the G1-specific push Gmail, though I don't know for sure. Otherwise they're identical in features and price.

The APN for that plan is epc.tmobile.com. Interestingly, while epc works fine for those of us with iPhones on the cheap T-Zones plan, the same is not true for G1s, and I quite consistently got the "You need to upgrade to the G1 plan" message when attempting to use that APN with a G1 while on the T-zones plan. That was, in fact, one of the original reasons I switched to an iPhone.

Thanks

I already have unlimited text, so in your opinion Poseidon, which data plan should I go for?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If you have unlimited text, you should be able to get the unlimited+ 400 text, still for 24.99, but your unlimited texts should override the 400 from the plan, just double check with T-Mo, when you go to make the switch.

Thanks

What about the 19.99 plan?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I thought the $19.99 capped you at 100Mbs? If not, go for it.

Thanks

The $9.99 web2go is the 100MB plan I believe.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think Slovig's right, isn't $9.99 50mb, and $19.99 100mb? Not positive, though.

Edit: checked T-Mobile's site, that's correct. $9.99/50mb also includes 200 messages, $9.99/100mb has unlimited.
    Last edited by phutterman; 2009-05-07 at 02:57 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone elsgk2's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Can anyone else confirm?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamrev View Post
    Well, I can tell you that it will work. I had a G1 for a week and went back to the iphone. I switched to the G1 plan then went back to the iphone. The system caught up after a couple of days and moved my plan back to the non G1 plan but I had no issues while I was on a G1 plan using the iphone. I used epc.tmobile.com on both plans and had no issues. Hope that helps!
    So is there anyone else that can confirm this?

What kind of speeds did you get using your 3G with the G1 plan?

I thought that the g1's "3G" was not compatible with the iPhone.
    *T*Mo**

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You thought correctly, T-Mo's 3G is not compatible with the iPhone, he might just be referring to using T-Mo's Edge on his iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

It works! See updated first post.

I just got my iphone yesterday and jailbroke/unlocked it and everything's been working fine except for the internet. I'm on the g1 plan so I tried doing epc.voicestream.com but when I try to access the internet it says I'm not subscribed to a data plan. I turned off 3g and wi-fi and turned on the data roaming. Does it take a while, or is there an actual problem? Help

Edit: I was using .voicesteam instead of .tmobile, duh! It's working fine now, although pretty slow but yay internet.
    Last edited by looksandletters; 2009-05-27 at 05:08 PM.