Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NEED EDGE HELP: iPhone 2G 2.2.1

Default [SOLVED] - NEED EDGE HELP: iPhone 2G 2.2.1
    EDIT:
    My Problem was fixed by Oliver3502. I am now able to connect using the T-Mobile Edge.

If there is anyone else having this problem, refer to the quote below.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    Try:

1) h t t p ://unlockit.co.nz/ (Access this website from your iPhone)

or

2) Go to Cydia, on Search type "APN"... install the APN editor.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the edge to work anymore. I believe it worked before. Obviously it's not working if I'm making this thread. I'm using the Smart Phone $25 data plan for T-Mobile. I've been through a lot of threads on this site and I keep seeing something for APN settings. The problem is, I don't know what or where I can find that.When I went to settings and followed the steps this is what I saw:

Settings:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/11cb0qx.png

General:
    http://i42.tinypic.com/r6xw7k.png

Network:
    http://i39.tinypic.com/1e2dmo.png

Then the problem starts here... From a previous post on the matter, the directions were:

go to settings>general>network>Cellular data network> APN
    As you can see, I don't have cellular data network there.

Is there anyone that can offer up a solution to my problem? I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm well aware that this is a frequently asked question. I have done my research through the forums and that's what I've come up with.
    Last edited by niketheory; 2009-04-14 at 08:53 PM.

In the general screen try clicking reset>reset network settings. Dunno if it will actually work or not but i cant think of anything else.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PhxBlue For This Useful Post:

niketheory (2009-04-14)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe try disconnecting from wifi? I know it only shows those options when it sees a cellular data network. After first unlocking and inserting my SIM I had to reboot, as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to phutterman For This Useful Post:

niketheory (2009-04-14)

Thanks to both solutions, but neither one of them worked.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

How are you unlocked?

Apple's knowledge base thing about it (iPhone: How to view or edit the APN setting) says that its only present on "unlocked phones or carriers that allow editing of the apn." Apparently unlocking via Yellowsn0w adds this option, as that's how I'm unlocked, and I see it.

Perhaps unlocking via a TurboSim-style device does not trigger the addition of this menu? If that's the case, there's got to be some way around it, but I don't know it. Maybe someone unlocking in that fashion could address it?

Also, if you are using Yellowsn0w, again, I imagine you'd have to restart at least once after installing it and maybe even again after it's recognizing your SIM for voice, but I presume you've already done that.

I'm really not sure what else to suggest. All I know for certain is that on mine that menu didn't appear right off the bat but did shortly thereafter and has never disappeared since.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to phutterman For This Useful Post:

niketheory (2009-04-14)

Try:

or

Housekeepin'?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver350Z For This Useful Post:

niketheory (2009-04-14)

Quote Originally Posted by phutterman View Post
    How are you unlocked?

Apple's knowledge base thing about it (iPhone: How to view or edit the APN setting) says that its only present on "unlocked phones or carriers that allow editing of the apn." Apparently unlocking via Yellowsn0w adds this option, as that's how I'm unlocked, and I see it.

Perhaps unlocking via a TurboSim-style device does not trigger the addition of this menu? If that's the case, there's got to be some way around it, but I don't know it. Maybe someone unlocking in that fashion could address it?

Also, if you are using Yellowsn0w, again, I imagine you'd have to restart at least once after installing it and maybe even again after it's recognizing your SIM for voice, but I presume you've already done that.

I'm really not sure what else to suggest. All I know for certain is that on mine that menu didn't appear right off the bat but did shortly thereafter and has never disappeared since.

I'm pretty much new to this whole iPhone unlocking thing. I've had AT&T for about 10 years. I recently switched to T-Mobile a few weeks ago. I'm quite sure I'm unlocked using yellowsn0w, though. I used the QuickPwn provided by the iPhone Dev Team, or at least that's what the read me text document says.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver350Z View Post
    Try:

or

THANKS!

I first downloaded an APN editor in Cydia, but the option still never showed up. Then my second bet was to go to the website you provided. I added the epc.tmobile.com APN in, and then disabled wifi and now I'm able to connect on Edge.

Again, thanks!
    Last edited by niketheory; 2009-04-14 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That's great news nikestheory... pleasure to help!
    Housekeepin'?