Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2nd gen iPhone unlocked with Quickpwn, Not accepting SIM

Default 2nd gen iPhone unlocked with Quickpwn, Not accepting SIM
    Okay, let me quickly run you through what I did and where I am at.

The iPhone is a first generation 4GB model phone. The model number on the back reads A1203.

I used Quickpwn to jailbreak and unlock it, following this guide here - iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your 2.x.x 2G iPhone Using QuickPwn (Windows)

The only thing I didn't do was replace the boot logos.

Everything seemed to go well. It's up and running, I can see Cydia and the Installer now on the menu. But when I insert my T-Mobile simcard, I get this error:
    Different SIM detected
    Please connect to iTunes
    So I connected it to iTunes and it reads:
    The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
    Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to recive a replacement SIM card.
    I do have the original SIM card that came with the phone, from Cingular.

If this is significant information, on the top left corner of the iPhone screen it does say T-Mobile, followed by the letter 'E'.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ThrowingChicken; 2009-04-14 at 12:01 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

well, first off i wouldn't post the numbers from your sim card as that is how your account is identified to your carrier. i'm not super techno saavy, but i'm assuming someone could clone your account with this information.

did you check 'unlock' and 'activate' within the quickpwn program during the jailbreak process?

if you did the above, which it sees you did because the phone is recognizing t-mo's network then your sim might be shot. does that sim work in other phones? have you tried a friend's t-mo sim in your iphone since jailbreaking? try the above and let us know.

i called t-mo and they overnighted me a new sim free of charge. this will probably depend on the csr that you get when you call. i have a business account though so that may explain the better customer service.

iPhone? More like MyPhone compton,Tx's Avatar
    Thanks

If you used a legit sim already (such as AT&T) then you either need to replace the lockdown file or rePwn it again and tell it to activate it for you. I have used mine with ATT but went to South Africa and tried to unlock with the same result as you, I just rePwned it and had the Vodacom sim in and it worked like a charm.

I didn't know what those numbers meant, thanks for the tip.

Okay, so I tried another brand new SIM card from T-Mobile and it still didn't work. I decided to run Quickpwn again and it still doesn't work. One thing I noticed that I didn't think much of when I made my original post, when I am running QuickPwn and it comes to this screen -

I get an error saying something went wrong, like I didn't press those buttons correctly or the USB cable was bad, and then it takes you back to this screen and you go on from there -

But what I noticed is, during both times of doing this, I got that error message during the first try, but not during the second try. I also noticed that when I open QuickPwn, when I first get to the screen where you select what you want to do (Add Installer, Unlock, etc) only the Cydia and Installer icons are selected. Might this initial error I am getting cause QuickPwn to turn off the unlock option?

Quote Originally Posted by compton,Tx View Post
    If you used a legit sim already (such as AT&T) then you either need to replace the lockdown file or rePwn it again and tell it to activate it for you. I have used mine with ATT but went to South Africa and tried to unlock with the same result as you, I just rePwned it and had the Vodacom sim in and it worked like a charm.
    Are you saying to run QuickPwn again, but this time have my T-Mobile SIM card in the phone during the process?

EDIT - If that was what you were saying, I tried it to no avail. Same results.
    Last edited by ThrowingChicken; 2009-04-14 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quickpwn with tmobile sim in it. It will say sim not detected at first but ignore it. Just start quickpwn and follow dirctions. It's that easy.

compton,Tx and miedwards72 have it right. It didn't work the first time I tried it because of something that goes on when iTunes restores the phone. Without the original SIM installed, iTunes wouldn't let me restore the phone, so what I did was put the original SIM in long enough get the browser window open to select the restore file, then I quickly swapped it out for my T-Mobile SIM then opened the restore before iTunes could figure out what had happened. After that, I continued on with the T-Mobile SIM in the phone and it loaded up just fine.

Thanks fellas.

You can place the phone into DFU mode and restore it through itunes without a simcard.

Also, quickpwn isnt unlocking it for some reason.

quickpwn should give you a box to check off for "unlock", so if you havent seen and/or checked that, it wont automatically unlock the phone.

And having any simcard in the phone while doing so......doesnt make a difference.

PS- Once you check "unlock", you will also be prompted to locate 2 bootloader files that need to be downloaded separately....so if its not doing that, again...its not unlocking.

Well I'm just sharing my experience on what did and didn't work for me. I ran QuickPwn several times with the AT&T SIM card and the T-Mobile SIM did not work until I actually restored it with the T-Mobile SIM installed. Is it just a coincidence that it worked on that 7th time? Maybe, but results are results.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThrowingChicken For This Useful Post:

marcmoon (2009-04-22)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

you're right... results are results. i would double check about the bootloader files though. if you didn't have those downloaded and weren't prompted for them by quickpwn then i'm surprised the process worked.

are you able to make/receive calls/texts? how about cellular data? just curious.

I followed the tutorials to a T, give me a little credit, lol. It had me load the 3.9 and 4.6 bootloaders, which I did every time I tried the program.

At this point, I can make calls, receive text messages, and check my e-mail, but I can't browse the rest of the internet. When I try to go to, say, CNN.com, it tries to connect but eventually the web page (not the cell promp) gives me this message:
    HTTP ERROR: $*CODE*$

$*MESSAGE*$

RequestURI=/
    Minus the asterisks.

Thoughts?

I'm also having another issue which I posted about here - http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...auto-lock.html
    Last edited by ThrowingChicken; 2009-04-14 at 04:00 PM.

Try this method below, worked for me:

Once you jailbreak/unlock your iphone, you should have access to Cydia and Installer.

Follow the steps below to get rid of the "different sim detected" message

1. Use QUICKPWN 2.1 procedure to Jailbreak and Unlock.

2. Now you need to remove the previous activation, for that you need to follow the below procedures.

2.1 Remove any sim cards inside so you have access to cydia, than open cydia, and you are going to search and find the following applications, than install them

- Open NTPD
    - Open SSH
    - Automatic SSH

3. Download and Use WinSCP to connect to iPhone
    To Download it, google: winscp download

Guide on using WinSCP with iphone
    h t t p://limitededitioniphone.com/windows-guide-to-using-winscp-with-iphone/

4. Follow the below steps:

4.1 Download patched lockdown file from here
    h t t p://rs309.rapidshare.com/files/139572019/Lockdown.zip

4.2 Use WinSCP to SSH into your iPhone, then navigate to to /private/var/root/Library/ and copy lockdown folder to your desktop (for backup just in case - this you need to do)

4.3 Delete that folder from iPhone

4.4 Unzip Lockdown.zip and upload all files to the iPhone to replace the folder you just deleted (make sure you replace the acutal lockdown folder that has the files in it)

4.5 Naviagte into patched folder and make sure file pemissions are set to 644 for all files (right click on "lockdown" and go to properties, than set file permission to 0644)

4.6 Reboot phone
    Last edited by Oliver350Z; 2009-04-22 at 04:08 PM.
    Housekeepin'?

trying to open lockdown. prompted to choose which program to open this file. help pleeeeese

You are not supposed to open it, only unzip it...

Follow instructions.
    Housekeepin'?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver350Z For This Useful Post:

marcmoon (2009-04-22)

]Well I'm just sharing my experience on what did and didn't work for me. I ran QuickPwn several times with the AT&T SIM card and the T-Mobile SIM did not work until I actually restored it with the T-Mobile SIM installed. Is it just a coincidence that it worked on that 7th time? Maybe, but results are results."

Thanx for the response. after hours of forums and the downloadpatch and wnscp and openssh, I was successful with simply switching out the AT&T sim wit T-mobile immediately after choosing restore and update. Now can someone explain why ITUNES seems to be taking forever with the initial sync. Im only adding 20 mp3s and info

In addition, Itunes itself freezes to the point where I cant close out even after disconnecting the phones. the window reads syncing "myname" iphone nothing else, no progress bar. my address and phonebook as well as a yahoo email account all appear on phone after manually disconnecting
    Last edited by marcmoon; 2009-04-22 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost