Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: legally unlocked by apple and tmobile

Default legally unlocked by apple and tmobile
    i m using tmobile rite now. since i m not with att, i cant buy iph locked with att.
    so my question is
    if i buy iphone legally unlocked by apple, do i need to jailbreak?
    or i can just use iphone on tmobile as i can use iphone with att?
    i m afraid if i do sth wrong with jailbreaking, i cant use it anymore.so i rather buy legally unlocked one and save my trouble
    has anyone used iphone legally unlocked?
    Last edited by z3r0_plus; 2009-04-10 at 07:12 AM.

Jailbreaking is an option, you don't have to do it and besides, I highly doubt that jailbreaking a factory unlocked iPhone will do anything to lock it.

And by highly, I mean definitely.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

Quote Originally Posted by Soodeh View Post
    I can't find Cydia on app store

wow this is fast. thanks for d reply
    so if i buy iphone legally unlocked by apple,i can just use iphone on tmobile as i can use iphone with att? can b able to dl the application from itunes?

Quote Originally Posted by z3r0_plus View Post
    so if i buy iphone legally unlocked by apple,i can just use iphone on tmobile as i can use iphone with att? can b able to dl the application from itunes?
    Yes and Yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

And yes

thank you for all replies guys.another thing with with legally unlocked iphone, how can i use internet with tmobile

You would need a data plan from TMo, otherwise, you have to just stick with Wifi.

wat kind of data plan do i need to get?

I didn't know Apple sold unlocked phones, or are you outside the US?

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Just go in to TMO or give them a call and tell them exactly what you are doing. They won't mind. They will be able to best help you with your data plan. unlike ATT they could care less what handset you are using and just happy for being their customer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me nycdiplomat's Avatar
    Thanks

that is why i love tmobile!!!!! everytime i call them they say " hey i see you are using an iphone, how do u like it?" and they just offered me a hell of a deal on a rate plan for being a loyal customer. looks like im not going anywhere for a while. The iphone should have been offered to tmobile before at&t, im sure there wouldnt be so many restrictions with swapping SIM cards
    waiting on my iPhone 6+

My iPhone is a Part of Me IvanPK's Avatar
    Thanks

@lastsonofkrypton They just started to sell them in the us for 499$ and 599$

Thanks

@ Ivan: they are not unlocked. They are sold without contract still locked to the only legal carrier in the US. And that would be Att.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the only way to acquire a factory unlocked one is to do so in a country where they are legally prevented from selling carrier-locked phones.

As stated, the contract-less ones now available are still carrier-locked to AT&T just like one that's bought subsidized on contract.

iPhone? More like MyPhone owais123's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IvanPK View Post
    @lastsonofkrypton They just started to sell them in the us for 499$ and 599$
    also its 599 and 699 buddy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to owais123 For This Useful Post:

phutterman (2009-04-11)

Where are you buying an unlocked phone from AT&T? I want one!!! lol

Why spend the extra money on a factory unlocked one. we all have jailbroken iphones and none of ours "broke"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah. And anyway, the only really factory unlocked ones you'll even find in this country will probably be for a fortune (at least as much as AT&T's unsubsidized ones?) on eBay.

I elected to go the sketchier but much cheaper route of:

Buy a G1 cheap on craigslist > find it doesn't really work with T-zones > trade it for a cracked 3G and some cash > Repair & unlock myself > discover that it's actually a much better phone

In net (including repair parts) I paid $160 (plus a bit of time) for it (and yes, I'm a bit proud of that).

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Thats how we roll on MMI !!!

the reason i m thinking of buying legally unlocked is i have no idea what is going on with unlocking. sim unlocked software unlocked. there are so many things. and jailbreaking too.apple is doing as much as they can to stop unlocking their phone by others.
    i m afraid when i try to unlock i will break my ph :S after all, i m just a student

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast