Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone warranty question?

Default iPhone warranty question?
    My iPhone is unlocked on T-Mobile, and in 5 days I'm cancelling the AT&T contract, and keeping the phone. Now if something happens to my phone *knock on wood*, will Apple service it even though I won't have an AT&T contract?

yes, no worries
    Just make sure you restore it before taking it to apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

Just like broomhead said.

So if I ever have to restore it, I won't have to reactivate the phone?

Hey. Quick question. How will apple warranty the phone if your not with AT&T. Like what questions will they ask? Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThugZilla View Post
    So if I ever have to restore it, I won't have to reactivate the phone?
    i dont know, but am needing to find out too- i have an unactive att sim, an active prepaid att sim, and my active tmobile sim- but neither the unactive or prepaid att sims work to activate the phone after doing a factory restore- it does ask to activate the phone- anyone know the way around this-

i had to cancel my genius bar appointment today cause i could not get the phone to restore without being hack-tivated [im under warranty and have no wifi . . . ever]
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

apple's warranty has nothing to do with your contract with AT&T and the lack of one. Read the warranty agreement for your self.

Quote Originally Posted by punklove View Post
    i dont know, but am needing to find out too- i have an unactive att sim, an active prepaid att sim, and my active tmobile sim- but neither the unactive or prepaid att sims work to activate the phone after doing a factory restore- it does ask to activate the phone- anyone know the way around this-

i had to cancel my genius bar appointment today cause i could not get the phone to restore without being hack-tivated [im under warranty and have no wifi . . . ever]
    Just restore it to a stock firmware, don't worry about activating it
    Last edited by Broomhead; 2009-03-22 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone punklove's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    apple's warranty has nothing to do with your contract with AT&T and the lack of one. Read the warranty agreement for your self.

Just restore it to a stock firmware, don't worry about activating it
    but if it is restored to stock, it isnt activated- and my pay-as you go sim doesn't activate it- so it's stuck on the emergency call screen-

if i take it in to the genius bar, what will they do if it is on the emergency screen? can they bypass it to test the wifi?
    happiness is a warm iphone~~~~

My iPhone is a Part of Me BarcaMagic's Avatar
    Thanks

It all depends on the genius .He might do it or he might say he cant do anything since its not activated.Im sure they can bypass it.

^Thats their problem.

Per Apple's own warranty agreement.....warranty acceptance is NOT dependent on activation. If they give you crap tell them that.

I have taken them iphones that were not activated before with no simcard and have gotten them warrantied.

Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    ^Thats their problem.

Per Apple's own warranty agreement.....warranty acceptance is NOT dependent on activation. If they give you crap tell them that.

I have taken them iphones that were not activated before with no simcard and have gotten them warrantied.
    So basically just restore, and bring it to Apple with no sim?

correct... Tell them you put the sim in an old phone to use, and you forgot it in the car. They will tell you that you need to take the new iPhone home and activate it with iTunes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Broomhead For This Useful Post:

ThugZilla (2009-03-22)

Alright, thank a lot!

I recently had my iPhone warrantied, however I was more cautious:

1) Restore to factory
    2) Went with friends activated AT&T Sim Card

I had no trouble...
    But I saw some people with unactivated SIM struggling, but none of them were refused service though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have done more then 5 warranties with out activation. I just restore to the factory settings & tell them the issue I was having before I decided to restore my phone, & cancel my ATT contract, I need the phone to be warrantied so I can give it to one of my family member's. I have done it in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palisades (NY), & in Boca. Good luck. Most for the time they are pretty cool about it, if you are w/ them.
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva

When you get your phone fixed with the warranty do they automatically update the firmware on you? I'm just wondering because I use yellowsnow to unlock

Quote Originally Posted by Robby23 View Post
    When you get your phone fixed with the warranty do they automatically update the firmware on you? I'm just wondering because I use yellowsnow to unlock
    In my case (weak signal), they replaced my iPhone for a new (refurbished?) one that came with the 2.2 FW.