Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3g + tmobile

Default 3g + tmobile
    So before ANYONE replies this post, please be aware of what you say. I've been reading through the forums for the whole day now (researching heh) and I've noticed that a TON OF PEOPLE talk about stuff they have no idea about. For example, people used to say that unlocking the 3G was IMPOSSIBLE, and they gave so many bs explanations for it. Now look. Is it still not unlockable? Nope. All I'm trying to say is, please be 100% exactly sure before you answer my question...

So, on with my question!

I'm just days away from buying an iPhone 3g to unlock and use for TMO. I've heard 3G is not possible due to the different basebands AT&T and TMO has. HOWEVER, is it somehow possible to have 3G to work on an iPhone 3G w/ TMO later in the future? Thanksssss.

[EDIT]
    I meant frequencies, not basebands.
    Last edited by yongj; 2009-03-16 at 04:43 AM.

yes
    At the moment there is no software unlock for the firmware 2.2.1 with baseband 2.30, but you could use a turbo sim right away.
    In the future there will be a software unlock for that baseband, but not right now
    So the answer to your question is yes ans yes

Quote Originally Posted by broomhead View Post
    yes
    at the moment there is no software unlock for the firmware 2.2.1 with baseband 2.30, but you could use a turbo sim right away.
    In the future there will be a software unlock for that baseband, but not right now
    so the answer to your question is yes ans yes
    thank you, super moderator.

Wait, so if I get a turbo sim card...I can use TMO's 3g speed?
    Last edited by yongj; 2009-03-16 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Or you talking about the 3G internet service's working on TMO? NO!!!

short answer no... sry

Oh, phew alright. I thought so...

so then what's the purpose of buying a turbo sim card? Do people not know about the glorious mod known as yellowsn0w? haha.

yellowsn0w doesn't work with the newest baseband 2.30 only works on 2.28
    so their only option is to wait or use a turbo sim

my post #2 refers to a software unlock that's yellowsn0w

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    yellowsn0w doesn't work with the newest baseband 2.30 only works on 2.28
    so their only option is to wait or use a turbo sim

my post #2 refers to a software unlock that's yellowsn0w
    Oh, I was asking about a different thing..........
    I was asking if it's possible in the future for TMO iphone user to get 3g speeds.

nope

before people said you couldnt unlock the 3g iphone, but eventually it was going to happen, i think most people knew that

but like its pretty much impossible to use 3g on tmobile, thats like asking to use an iphone on verizon, or a cdma on a gsm network

i do wish that tmobile had 3g speeds, but im happy with 6 dollars unlimited edge

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yongj View Post
    Oh, I was asking about a different thing..........
    I was asking if it's possible in the future for TMO iphone user to get 3g speeds.
    Read Post #4 3G will not work on TMO.

From what I understand T-Mobile leased a different frequency for 3g than what the iPhone's radio can tune to. Carriers have to "lease" bands because the airwaves are government-controlled.

So unless there is some way to mod or replace the iPhone's internal radio, no 3G.

Did you not read the intro to my post?
    I said if you don't know 100%, meaning if you can't provide legit evidence, don't post.

People like you are so arrogant.

I believe because AT&T 3G frequency is 900/1800 - 2100, but T-mobile 3G frequency is 1700/2100, so iPhone 3G is not compatible with Tmo 3G.

In terms of future possibilities? I guess only if Tmo's 3G adapts 1900/2100, or Apple come out with a Tmo version of iPhone 3G.

Quote Originally Posted by yongj View Post
    Did you not read the intro to my post?
    I said if you don't know 100%, meaning if you can't provide legit evidence, don't post.

People like you are so arrogant.
    Of course I read your post. If you want legit evidence then you'll have to wait. In the meantime this is a discussion forum.

T-Mobile leased 1700/2100mhz for 3g, the iPhone uses 1900/2100mhz. Like I said, unless one could modify the iPhone's radio frequency than the chances are nil.

I wasn't talking to you dude, I was talking to zwayne.
    You gave the exact explanation I was looking for.