Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Review: Gen1 iPhone xGPS 2.1 using iGPS360 on T-Mobile Edge Network using Tzones

Default Review: Gen1 iPhone xGPS 2.1 using iGPS360 on T-Mobile Edge Network using Tzones
    This will be a short review to let anyone using a 1st generation iPhone along with the iGPS360 dongle and xGPS software know how it works.

My review will start off with assuming you are getting a full signal from T-Mobile.

The iGPS360 Gongle is actually smaller than I had anticipated. I purchased it immediately upon the release of the xGPS software being released. It is fairly well made and has a nice blue light to indicate activity when it is on. It has a battery in it to help for fast positioning when turning on the application.

The accuracy of the iGPS is nothing short of spectacular in my use. It is accurate for me to within 7 feet. I find this more than reasonable for finding your destination. There are many superficial 'improvements' that people, myself included, would like to see but when it comes down to it the main aspect is if it is spot on or not. I say yes without condition.

xGPS software: If you are hoping to get as much info out of this software as say a 700 dollar Garmin device then you probably will be disappointed. I can't say I know how to use all the options at this point completely but it does seem to be a general map from google. No bells or whistles on the maps. Caching areas for use is fairly simple. You use the desktop tool and download the map that you outline. You can also have it download several 'zoom' levels so that you can pull back or go in on the map. These maps, depending on size, can be VERY BIG. Adding different levels of zoom as well will only increase the size.

All in all the software does what no other application can do on the iphone. It gives turn by turn instructions. It updates very quickly if you have the map cached on your phone and is able to reprocess routes relatively quick as well.

THE BAD PART:

There is nothing bad about the device or the software. The bad is the EDGE network. When you have full signal everything works sa it should. Very quick and responsive. However, if you even have half signal bars you may find issues with it being able to contact the servers to get current driving directions. This is a pain. The EDGE network is very spotty and everyone who uses it knows it can be dog slow at times too. This will ultimately effect the usage of the xGPS software.

This is the only real drawback to the entire package. Yes, I would love it if the music were to mute when the audio instructions were played and a few other things...but for the cost of the iGPS360 (77 US Dollars Delivered) you can't go wrong.

Hope this small review helps some of you decide if you want to go down that road or not. I am glad that I did. It is an enjoyable tool to have and it works very well.

Cheers!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i find the google maps cell triangulation locator is dead acurate. as i drive, it moves with me, each stoplight i've checked on gmaps, i look up at the street i'm at and bam, dead on. i see no use in this, unless your gmaps locator is less accurate then i've experienced
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Gmaps for me with cell triangulation is 'close' but way off. I did a comparison with it and found that it was off by a city block in regards to my position. It does a great job of giving you general idea of your surrounding area but will never be able to give you door to door driving instructions due to the placement of cell towers and their ability to pin point accurate positioning.

This is just the first of many apps that will use gps.

To each their own of course.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

oh trust me, i've wanted the gps dongle since he first started talking about it at the end of 07 beginning of 08. when he was taking a poll on who would actually buy one before he goes into making them mainstream. i was one of the ones voting i'd actually buy one even tho i haven't yet. i plan to tho. i jus dont' see any specific app i can benefit it from at the moment when gmaps works so flawless for me. im talking dead pin point accurate. not a house or block away, dead accurate.

i pull up to a stop light, open gmaps, locate me, and bam im on the corner of whatever/whatever exactly like i am in real life.

driving down the street, the locator moves as i do, street for street, block for block.
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4