Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will DATA Work? iPhone 3g. Sidekick plan.

Default Will DATA Work? iPhone 3g. Sidekick plan.
    To begin I have several questions. I have looked multiple places, and I am getting mixed responses.. Does T-Mobile's TZONES work just as fast as its normal internet package?

As a matter of fact, is the TZONES package even still offered? I think I heard one place that it wasn't...

I plan on getting an iPhone 3gb 16gb and hopefully put it on the Sidekick plan.

I've heard from some that the Sidekick plan will work on the iphone [1], and the the Sidekick plan won't work [2]. So, I'd like to know which is it? Will I be able to enjoy the benefits of the Sidekick plan on my telephone?

[1]
    The OP is referring to the prepaid Sidekick plan, not the Flex/Postpay plans you're talking about. The pricing on that prepaid plan hasn't changed since it was introduced years ago.

Compdoc,
    I am currently using a prepaid Sidekick plan on a first-gen iPhone. The steps I took:
    0) Unlock and activate the phone using pwnage or QuickPWN (obvious, but some forget to do this step).
    1) Purchase a Prepaid SIM (this runs around 7-10 bucks depending on source and location).
    2) Activate the SIM with the "Sidekick" prepaid plan. I did this at a corp store without issue (said I had a sidekick, but it wasn't on my person), and it can also be done online and over the phone.
    3) Prior to putting the SIM in your phone, using Wifi, install either 'T-Mobile carrier bundle' via Cydia (BigBoss hosts the packages).
    4) Restart phone, and put your SIM into the phone. Allow it to startup normally.
    5) Go to Settings--->General--->Network--->Cellular Data Network and put in the following:
    APN: hiptop.t-mobile.com
    Username: guest
    Password: guest
    6) (Optional, but might be neccessary) Restart/power cycle the phone.

Once this is done, you should get access to the web and data-using apps without wifi. Unlimited SMS works as well (no configuration necessary).

MMS (pay per use) issues:
    I haven't gotten MMS to work, since T-Mobile somehow requires usage of another APN, and Swirly (while attempting to use this APN) disables my data connection. If someone find a way to get MMS working with a prepaid SK plan, please let me know.

Hope this helps.
    --------------------------------
    [2]
    Sidekick data plan limits you to one APN, which only Sidekicks can access. In other words, no Sidekick, no Sidekick plan.

sidekick data plan does work

watch my video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZHDSyfvkhk]YouTube - How to get sidekick DATA PLAN to work on iphone 3g[/ame]

im not completely syre how the plan works

if it has data included i would imagine that it would work

you may be paying for unnecessary things though

Quote Originally Posted by rud3bwoy View Post
    sidekick data plan does work

watch my video

YouTube - How to get sidekick DATA PLAN to work on iphone 3g
    i like that mod of the glass orb theme
    Last edited by JStraitiff; 2009-02-18 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

can someone tell me how to get the sidekick prepaid plan working on my iphone 3g? The phone is not locked right now as I wanted to start from scratch and not mess anything up in the process. I would greatly appreciate any help that someone can give me. Thanks in advance...

Thanks
    Thanked 12,544 Times in 7,599 Posts

SideKick requires that you set your APN setting to hip-top.tmobile.com
    Follow this link for info on jailbreak and unlocking

Is that it? That sounds a little too simple for all the stuff I have read. So after unlocking I would just go into settings and change the APN?

If this is all I need, thanks so much...

I am going to buy the sidekick plan on monday so I will keep you posted on how that goes...

Thanks

Yup, that's it. You can go online to t-mo site and do it there too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

bbaskety (2009-06-28)

Wait, one more question. I've read multiple posts about the 3.0 software and using prepaid. The link you sent me is recommending I upgrade to 3.0 while I am unlocking. Should I do this or should I keep the phone on 2.2? Everything I have read is telling me if I upgrade to 3.0 I will not be able to use any prepaid services. Can you please confirm either way, and let me know if I should still use the method you suggested...

Thanks!

Thanks

Well, that's your choice to stay on 2.2 or update to 3.0. Tell you the truth I am not really familiar with the pre-paid plan but in my opinion it should work If your paying for data. T-Mo has excellent customer service and can help you out also. Go to on line tech support and ask questions.
    Do your homework and continue reading. Sorry, good luck.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bo Troxell For This Useful Post:

bbaskety (2009-06-28)

actually it is not

hip-top.tmobile.com

it is

hiptop.t-mobile.com

and it does work it works great on 3.0 also been using it over a year

Default 3.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by rud3bwoy View Post
    actually it is not

hip-top.tmobile.com

it is

hiptop.t-mobile.com

and it does work it works great on 3.0 also been using it over a year

you have been using 3.0 over a year? I thought that just came out a couple weeks ago? Please let me know soon as I am going to try using this on my phone here in the next day or so. And if I haven't said it enough, I appreciate the help from both of you...

Thanks!

i'm using prepaid sidekick on iphone 3G w/fw 3.0. Data and phone are great. But i can not get MMS to work. Has anyone managed it? If so i'd love to know the settings. Have looked everywhere.

Thanks for the confirmation. All you did was unlock the iphone and pop the sidekick sim in (and obvi change the APN)? What APN are you using? I've heard multiple people say they were having problems with the MMS. There is a different message software i have read about that diff users have used to get MMS while using the sidekick plan...

If I run across the name again I will make sure to forward it to you... You may be able to google 'iphone sidekick prepaid MMS' and get some results...

Ok here's another thing. I want to go to T-mobile to setup the sidekick plan but they are saying I need a sidekick imei to set it up with. What can I do? Does anyone have an extra one laying around or should I give them my iphone imei?
    Last edited by bbaskety; 2009-06-28 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

i didn't enter any APN. all i did is insert my prepaid sidekick sim and the phone and data (edge) works. every time i've tried entering APN's or MMS addresses, the phone loses signal.

Ok here's another thing. I want to go to T-mobile to setup the sidekick plan but they are saying I need a sidekick imei to set it up with. What can I do? Does anyone have an extra one laying around or should I give them my iphone imei?

i bought my pre-paid t-mobile sim card kit online as the local store said i had to buy a prepaid phone also. when the kit arrived i activated by phone (seems like it was all automatic - did this in Jan. 09) and when asked for imei i used the # from an att go-phone. Probably could have used the iphone imei just as well, looking back on it. i was assigned a phone number and received confirmation on the go-phone. then i logged onto t-mobile, setup my account and choose prepaid sidekick. then put sim in iphone and everything worked.

But as i said before data and calls work, but no MMS that i can figure out.

And i'm not sure there was any need to use the go-phone for activation. if you check tmobile's forums they have info available to iphone users.

Well this got a bit long, but i didn't have a sidekick imei. hope all this helps some.
    Last edited by rbjscv; 2009-06-28 at 09:19 PM. Reason: left a word out

It worked... I am now on the T-mobile edge network searching the internet... I appreciate all the help!!!!

One last thing... does anyone ever get the 'No SIM Installed" message? I don't seem to be getting it as much as I did when I first unlocked the phone but every so often I get the message. Should have my SIM replaced or is this normal?
    Last edited by bbaskety; 2009-06-29 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well fellas, my phone is now working perfectly. No SIM problems and getting great service everywhere I go. I appreciate all the help!!!

Please try this bundle for MMS and tethering: T-Mobile USA Carrier Bundle.