Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: T-Mobile iPhone, bought from another person...warranty?

Thanks

Default T-Mobile iPhone, bought from another person...warranty?
    I have a 3G iPhone which is still under warranty. It is unlocked, but I WILL restore it to factory to take it in the Apple store. The phone has an issue with the volume (it won't go down when it's on silent mode") and when it's in loud mode and locked, the "Slide to unlock" screen will appear every 30 seconds. For example, if I go to sleep and my iphone auto-locks itself, the screen turns itself on every 30 seconds. I bought this phone from someone else, but by my understanding Apple only looks at the Serial Number. Do you think they will take in an iPhone 3G with these issues, restored to factory conditions but with no AT&T SIM card/receipt? Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

This is what happens. Apple techs are trained that the first step to fix a problem is do to a restore. After this the phone is locked and unactivated so they will immediately say "OK I need your AT&T SIM card to activate the phone to see if the restore fixed the problem". In which case you can't provide this so they'll tell you to go away. You will need a friend with an AT&T SIM card with you to activate the phone before they'll swap it out.

The warranty said it's not contingent upon activation but the loop hole is if the phone can successfully be restored then they MUST activate the phone in order to see if there's still a problem. Apple is not obligated to activate the phone... YOU are.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 2009-01-30 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks

so if I do find someone with an AT&T card then I would be able to possibly exchange it, even though I am not the buyer or have a receipt?

Thanks

...anyone?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

right, you don't need to be the original buyer or have a receipt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jtesnani For This Useful Post:

adp (2009-02-02)

If anything what they usually do is take your "broken" phone and replace it with another one that is a fresh phone. and they will tell you to take it home and restore it. as long as you have an ATnT sim chip in your "broken" one they will take it out, look at it, and then place it in the new one and give it back to you. What i did is when they said they were giving me a replacement phone (2G had to be ordered) they would call me (2 days) when it came in and then before i pick it up, backup my phone and bring it in.

What I did was back it up, completely restore a non moded firmware and turned it off when it said hook up to iTunes. Put my friends ATnT chip in and went to the Apple store. They took my phone and i asked them what to do when i got it home. Of course they say take it home and let the iTunes do its thing. Then they powered on the replacement phone so they see it found ATnT but wanted iTunes connection and said here you go.