Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: T-mo sidekick PPD plan: step by step?

  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak? Compdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In front my screen getting an LCD tan
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default T-mo sidekick PPD plan: step by step?
    Allright, I just went from an iPod touch to a 16 gig iPhone 3g. I have it seemingly unlocked, since it was on Fido and now it works with ATT just fine. Jailbroken, ect. But, I want to use it under a pure data plan. I know Tmobile's sidekick is all data and unlimited text for $1/day....but what gets me is all these proxy/WAP settings I hear about.....sounds like it's not just plug in and go. Or, am I failing?

  2. #2
    Green Apple padsquad43's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portage, Indiana
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Sidekick data plan limits you to one APN, which only Sidekicks can access. In other words, no Sidekick, no Sidekick plan.
    no signature spam... Please

  3. #3
    Sidekick plan now is not worth it a they jacked up the prices,but if you were like me and had a sidekick when the unlimited plan was 19.99 it is def worth it

    using my sidekick data on my 3g,works great

  4. #4
    What's Jailbreak? Compdoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In front my screen getting an LCD tan
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by padsquad43 View Post
    Sidekick data plan limits you to one APN, which only Sidekicks can access. In other words, no Sidekick, no Sidekick plan.
    Damn.... whats a cheap iphone accessable data only plan?

  5. #5
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    631
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 77 Times in 74 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rud3bwoy View Post
    Sidekick plan now is not worth it a they jacked up the prices,but if you were like me and had a sidekick when the unlimited plan was 19.99 it is def worth it

    using my sidekick data on my 3g,works great
    The OP is referring to the prepaid Sidekick plan, not the Flex/Postpay plans you're talking about. The pricing on that prepaid plan hasn't changed since it was introduced years ago.

    Compdoc,
    I am currently using a prepaid Sidekick plan on a first-gen iPhone. The steps I took:
    0) Unlock and activate the phone using pwnage or QuickPWN (obvious, but some forget to do this step).
    1) Purchase a Prepaid SIM (this runs around 7-10 bucks depending on source and location).
    2) Activate the SIM with the "Sidekick" prepaid plan. I did this at a corp store without issue (said I had a sidekick, but it wasn't on my person), and it can also be done online and over the phone.
    3) Prior to putting the SIM in your phone, using Wifi, install either 'T-Mobile carrier bundle' via Cydia (BigBoss hosts the packages).
    4) Restart phone, and put your SIM into the phone. Allow it to startup normally.
    5) Go to Settings--->General--->Network--->Cellular Data Network and put in the following:
    APN: hiptop.t-mobile.com
    Username: guest
    Password: guest
    6) (Optional, but might be neccessary) Restart/power cycle the phone.

    Once this is done, you should get access to the web and data-using apps without wifi. Unlimited SMS works as well (no configuration necessary).

    MMS (pay per use) issues:
    I haven't gotten MMS to work, since T-Mobile somehow requires usage of another APN, and Swirly (while attempting to use this APN) disables my data connection. If someone find a way to get MMS working with a prepaid SK plan, please let me know.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-02-01 at 10:53 AM. Reason: clarification
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to GenesisDH For This Useful Post:

    gomer713 (2009-02-16)

  7. #6
    Green Apple padsquad43's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Portage, Indiana
    Posts
    47
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Compdoc View Post
    Damn.... whats a cheap iphone accessable data only plan?
    some people say you can still get tzones(browse the other threads) for 5.99/mo

    i just use the smartphone unlimited web + unlimited messaging for 34.99
    no signature spam... Please

  8. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 156 Times in 72 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by GenesisDH View Post
    The OP is referring to the prepaid Sidekick plan, not the Flex/Postpay plans you're talking about. The pricing on that prepaid plan hasn't changed since it was introduced years ago.

    Compdoc,
    I am currently using a prepaid Sidekick plan on a first-gen iPhone. The steps I took:
    0) Unlock and activate the phone using pwnage or QuickPWN (obvious, but some forget to do this step).
    1) Purchase a Prepaid SIM (this runs around 7-10 bucks depending on source and location).
    2) Activate the SIM with the "Sidekick" prepaid plan. I did this at a corp store without issue (said I had a sidekick, but it wasn't on my person), and it can also be done online and over the phone.
    3) Prior to putting the SIM in your phone, using Wifi, install either 'T-Mobile carrier bundle' via Cydia (BigBoss hosts the packages).
    4) Restart phone, and put your SIM into the phone. Allow it to startup normally.
    5) Go to Settings--->General--->Network--->Cellular Data Network and put in the following:
    APN: hiptop.t-mobile.com
    Username: guest
    Password: guest
    6) (Optional, but might be neccessary) Restart/power cycle the phone.

    Once this is done, you should get access to the web and data-using apps without wifi. Unlimited SMS works as well (no configuration necessary).

    MMS (pay per use) issues:
    I haven't gotten MMS to work, since T-Mobile somehow requires usage of another APN, and Swirly (while attempting to use this APN) disables my data connection. If someone find a way to get MMS working with a prepaid SK plan, please let me know.

    Hope this helps.
    Alright i just done all of these exact steps on my iPhone 3G on 2.2 yellowsn0wed and all that jazz. works perfectly!! i got pay as you go sidekick plan which everyone says doesn't work unless you have a sidekick which i don't, i got this SIM from a $19 TMo phone from wal-mart activated it on that very phone online then upgraded to the sidekick plan now everything works even when i hook my iPhone up iTunes displays my TMo phone number instead of my old att #...only thing that dosn't work is like you said the MMS. but i love the ability to pay whatever i want whenever i want.thanks for the help after all the searching i had to do.

  9. #8
    ever since they released g1 they jacked up all there prices,i do regret getting rid of tzones but i still got my 19.99 sidekick unlimited so all balanced out anyway,cause if i kept tzones and got 14.99 unlimited text i would be paying the same amount

  10. #9
    I have nothing in my apn and my Internet works perfectly

  11. #10
    I just finally got my 1st Gen iPhone set up on the $1/day TMO sidekick plan and and at least 7 times today I got a message that I lost my network connectivity. In 8+ months of AT&T Edge service (pre-paid), I never lost my connection other than the 2 regional outages.. Is this something I have to get used to with T-Mobile? I'm in NJ, about 7 miles outside of NYC - based on the coverage map I should have pretty decent coverage, and when it goes - its usually back within 3-4 minutes and a full 5 bars.

    Also, in the steps above it says:
    3) Prior to putting the SIM in your phone, using Wifi, install either 'T-Mobile carrier bundle' via Cydia
    Is that carrier bundle any settings or is it just the T-Mobile icon set? I didn't do that step, could it be why? (I just assumed it was the icon and since i was using a different one didn't bother).

  12. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 156 Times in 72 Posts

    installing the 'T-Mobile US Carrier Bundle'will take way your ability to edit your APN and it makes your carrier logo not fit correctly for some reason. it does NOT come with any carrier logos or something as simple as that that i know of (haven't really looked). so anyway i used MIM to edit it now it looks normal. i have that loss of network connection sometimes too but rarely and not as much, it usually comes back within a few minutes. i think it's TMo not my phone since mine isn't the only one. but i tried my TMo sim without the carrier bundle, didn't work so i installed it then it worked fine but make sure you edit your APN before if your gonna install it, i'm not sure if you have too install it but i do know it takes away the configure APN option in Settings.i also know it's more than just an icon cuz it has some plists and other things as well in it, might be your problem but might not as well cuz my iPhone does the same thing like i said and i have the bundle installed.hope this helps

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to gomer713 For This Useful Post:

    hls811 (2009-02-19)

  14. #12
    I guess its either T-Mobile or the APN... I tried downloading the 'T-Mobile US Carrier Bundle', rebooted and within 5 minutes I had the same issue, so I took it back off.. I still get the disconnect, tonight was about 3 times... Its frustrating, but since its the cheapest plan out there I really don't have many options..

  15. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 156 Times in 72 Posts

    That's the reason I'm with TMo is the price I have a work phone not an iPhone that I use most of the time cuz I don't wanna mess up my 3G in the oilfield.anyway yeah so does your phone still work the way it normally would without the bundle if so I will just uninstall it from mine as well.

  16. #14
    I didn't notice any difference with or without the bundle. I think its safe to uninstall..

    Will the sidekick plan work with any of the other APN's floating around out there? I haven't tried.

    I was reading some reviews on the sidekicks and people in this area seem to say it has network stability issues as well.. It could be the APn isn't very good..

    Who knows..

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to hls811 For This Useful Post:

    gomer713 (2009-02-20)

  18. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 156 Times in 72 Posts

    i haven't tried another APN this one i used, i tried it and it works good where i live,so if it's it not broke don't fix it know what i mean? maybe it's just your area i dunno. the only thing i noticed really different then with my AT&T sim was now i loose wi-fi in my house in places that i got full wi-fi signal on my 1st gen.which is still on at&t. i don't even know where to start with that tho maybe it's just my phone.

  19. #16
    Mine is a 1st Gen and its always losing the Wi-Fi signal in my house.. I can be in the next room over from my router and it'll drop.. its so annoying!

  20. #17
    no other apn will work other than the sidekick one,i tried the other ones people use and it does not work,but the hiphtop one works 100 percent

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rud3bwoy For This Useful Post:

    gomer713 (2009-02-20), hls811 (2009-02-20)

  22. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone gomer713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NM
    Posts
    234
    Thanks
    45
    Thanked 156 Times in 72 Posts

    ^^^Good to know.thanks

  23. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by rud3bwoy View Post
    no other apn will work other than the sidekick one,i tried the other ones people use and it does not work,but the hiphtop one works 100 percent

    Thanks.. prevents me from having to try..

    Your in NYC and you don't have any network disconnects?
    Last edited by hls811; 2009-02-20 at 03:25 PM.

  24. #20
    What's Jailbreak? martin03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
    i just got mine working today according to my experience you dont have to download the t mobile carrier bundle im using mine without that and it works like a charm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •