Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: edge icon doesnt have the E in it

Thanks

Default edge icon doesnt have the E in it
    I have the T-Zones $5.99, im on 1.1.3 w/ bigboss tzones fix installed. my edge works, but the icon in the bar at the top is just an solid box (white or blue depending on which screen is open). The E is missing from it. Any one have an ideas as to why this would be? or how to fix it?

Thanks

That is the icon for GPRS if edge is not aviable you connect through GPRS it is a little slower. GPRS 2.0 EDGE 2.5
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to iBlade For This Useful Post:

mjdaul (2008-03-04)

same problem here. No E in the box. I swear edge isn't working at all though. I never see an E and its always slow. Had edge working on 1.1.1 before I upgraded to 1.1.3

Johnny5 you can check with BossPrefs if edge is enabled. Maybe disable and enable it again. It takes 2 - 3 tries sometime.
    Don't be shy if I helped you use the Thanks button, I do it.

No E is common. According to the iPhone Owner's Guide, the E indicates EDGE reception, no E indicates GPRS reception. This change appeared wih the 1.1.3 upgrade. I get no E 80% of the time where I live. And yes, it is slower.

The true test is to find a location where signal strength is very strong. You should then get the E.

(my phone: oob 1.0.2 IPSF now 1.1.4 ZiPhoned, TZones hack w/YouTube working)

I get an edge ip address in boss prefs but its not being used. I can't use youtube. Says I need an edge connection. I used to use edge all the time at my girlfriends in London on 1.1.1 but since I upgraded to 1.1.3. I haven't seen the "e" in the box once. It definitely isn't working.

Thanks

in the UK most places are not edge enabled right now, and it sucks and everything above is right.

but, if you used to get edge at ur birds house and you no longer do, the only solution other than the firmware update would be that the local tower giving your phone recpetion is having issues. i do know that edge signal drops in and out allot even in areas where signal is recieved.

i hope if its your phone it can be fixed, and i hope thephone providers in the uk upgrade their edge network!

i do know that edge signal drops in and out allot even in areas where signal is recieved.
    Yep, exactly right. I live in a rural area with sketchy reception in my house. EDGE comes & goes. I've discovered that good signal strength may not guarantee good EDGE reception.

I think there's an issue that people are overlooking. There seems to be multiple cases of people upgrading to 1.1.3 or 1.1.4 from 1.1.1 and not getting edge to work. There's a couple of MMI threads open about this.
    I'm sitting at my girlfriends now using GPRS while she's using edge on her 1.1.1 iPhone. And like I said, I'm getting an edge IP address but no "E" in the box.
    It's driving me mad. I might downgrade back to 1.1.1. I had no issues then.

How do you know she's using EDGE? 1.1.1 phones display the "E" whether on EDGE or GPRS.

If you must have an "E" then downgrade. It probably won't change whether you receive EDGE or GPRS though.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

exactly sura, the connection speeds will stay the same.

go to

i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

run a speed test before then downgrade and then run one after the downgrade. i would be surprised at any major differences.

please let us know here.

On mine 1.1.3 the E is present when edge is available and when its not its a blue square. Its normal.

In 1.1.4 the bold square (when GPRS mode) is fixed, now it shows a G instead.