Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade experience

Default 2.0 to 2.1 upgrade experience
    Just wanted to report the following:

I've been running a 2g iPhone, 2.0 firmware, jailbroken and unlocked using PwnageTool for a few weeks now. No problems.

PwnageTool with 2.1 firmware support is out today, so I wanted to try an upgrade to the latest and greatest, 2.1. Instead of using PwnageTool this time.... I simply did a software update to iTunes 8 on my Mac, downloaded the 2.1 firmware using iTunes, backed up my iPhone, then did a native upgrade from iTunes. Worked no problems... and the unlock was preserved.

So no baseband update in 2.1 on 2g iPhones

Now I'm running 2.1, unlocked. Everything is working... youtube, wifi, edge, phone calls, etc. I'll likely jailbreak it later using the new QuickPwn 1.1 so I can get my jailbreak apps back... but for the moment I'm enjoying running 2.1 vanilla with an unlock. Hope this info. helps someone.
    Last edited by treaty; 2008-09-14 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by treaty View Post
    Instead of using PwnageTool this time.... I simply did a software update to iTunes 8 on my Mac, downloaded the 2.1 firmware using iTunes, backed up my iPhone, then did a native upgrade from iTunes. Worked no problems... and the unlock was preserved.
    Can you explain exactly what you did? Whats a "native upgrade" and how was the unlock preserved without using PwnageTool?

Thanks

By native upgrade, he means that he just hit the update button in iTunes and that's it. The unlock sticks after the upgrade because apple did not change the baseband between 2.02 and 2.1 (baseband is what bootneuter messes with to unlock your phone).

Default Help!>
    hello my names John. Im over in the northwest seattle washington.
    i just ****** up basically. Long story short, i had my phone unlocked as soon as i bought the phone from the apple store by someone. I dunno what the heck he or she did but my tmobile sim card was in and it worked. just now i dont know what the **** i was thinking and pardon my language...but i downloaded the new update to itunes 8 and now it wont read my iphone and i cant get in and itsays unknown gsm or something like that...anyway to reverse it?
    fuckk

Quote Originally Posted by treaty View Post

I've been running a 2g iPhone, 2.0 firmware, jailbroken and unlocked using PwnageTool for a few weeks now. No problems.

PwnageTool with 2.1 firmware support is out today, so I wanted to try an upgrade to the latest and greatest, 2.1. Instead of using PwnageTool this time.... I simply did a software update to iTunes 8 on my Mac, downloaded the 2.1 firmware using iTunes, backed up my iPhone, then did a native upgrade from iTunes. Worked no problems... and the unlock was preserved.

So no baseband update in 2.1 on 2g iPhones

Now I'm running 2.1, unlocked. Everything is working... youtube, wifi, edge, phone calls, etc. I'll likely jailbreak it later using the new QuickPwn 1.1 so I can get my jailbreak apps back... but for the moment I'm enjoying running 2.1 vanilla with an unlock. Hope this info. helps someone.

There are tutorials on how to downgrade firmwares so that you could unlock it to the firmware you were using when it was working.