Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Brand New 3G Iphone and T-Mobile - Where to start

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Brand New 3G Iphone and T-Mobile - Where to start
    Forgive me as I am absolutely completely new to this. I have T-mobile and a 3g iphone. I wish there was a sticky that laid out the whole process from start to finish, I have no idea where to start. I am very good on computers and phones but I just don't know much about the iphone / unlocking / jailbreaking. I've been sifting through thread after thread but haven't found one that lays it all out and I know you pro's are probably sick of reposting stuff. At any rate, I have a new iphone, 3g and T-mobile. Do I unlock first? Do I jailbreak first? Then the T-zones hack? What has to be done right when I get it out of the box. Thank you!

Thanks

There is no 'software' 3G unlock yet, so you'll have to resort to the ugly sim hack method.
    You can find information on an affordable one here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 461am For This Useful Post:

robeeen (2008-08-30)

I spoke to a T-mobile rep today, They stated that the t-mobile 3g will be ready by October or November the latest. It will be all over not just in some areas. They will also be on the edge system as well. I told them that I have the iphone as they have heard many of their users have done already. They even know the methods"Jailbreak" I was laughing. They stated that The3g iphones will work on the unlocked iphones and will have the 3g speed as ATT. Is this correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jennings from 'Cult of Mac'
    The new iPhone is not compatible at all with T-Mobile’s 3G network. “2100″ is being used above to mean two different (incompatible) things.

When we say the 3G iPhone uses “850, 1900, and 2100″, what we actually mean is that it can support UMTS bands I, II, and V. Each of these are actually two separate frequency bands, one used for uplink and another for downlink. When we say the new iPhone supports “2100″, what we actually mean is that it supports 1920MHz to 1980 for uplink and 2110 to 2170 for downlink. Similarly “850″ and “1900″ are a shorthand for an uplink band an a downlink band.

However, for some reason we don’t seem to use a similar shorthand for what T-Mobile has. T-Mobile’s spectrum is the AWS frequencies (UMTS band IV), which means 1710-1755 for uplink and 2110 - 2155 for downlink). This is only a single pair of bands, and one that the 3G iPhone is not designed to use. Although the 3G iPhone does “2100″, it does not do the corresponding uplink frequency, so it won’t work at all in 3G.
    I think this explains it well enough.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default T-mobile conversion
    OK so let me get this straight. I hack the sim first (until T-mobile comes out with 3G), and then I jailbreak? Then the t-zones hack?

Thanks for all of your help!

Thanks

Well you'd need to activate the phone, so the first order of business would be to jailbreak it (& in doing so, activate it via pwnage/winpwn), then doing the sim hack and finally installing the tzones hack.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

OK got it.... I'm so excited
    thanks!
    and the iphone might not work with tmo's 3G first thing's first though!

Thanks

Good luck, you'll need it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

First off, if you don't ruin the phone with the unrecommended sim unlock, you will not have 3g speed, even when TMobile's 3g network is complete. AT&T 3g and TMobile 3g will work on completely different frequencies and so you will not have 3g speed with TMobile.

Should have done some digging around...