Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Please.I don't have the option to configure edge settings.(1st gen unlocked 2.0)

Question Help Please.I don't have the option to configure edge settings.(1st gen unlocked 2.0)
    Using an Iphone (1st gen unlocked 2.0 Firmware) and trying to configure edge settings but when I select network settings from the general settings option I don't have the option to configure edge settings. Under the network tab I have
    data roaming on/off
    VPN not configured
    Wi-Fi (contains the name of my network)

Where do I find the edge settings? If they are supposed to be here then how can I get this option to appear.

Thank you very much for your help.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Sure you do, it's under cellular data network -

set APN to wap.voicestream.com

leave user-name and password blank
    Last edited by freakoftheindustry; 2008-08-20 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freakoftheindustry View Post
    Sure you do, it's under cellular data network -

set APN to wap.voicestream.com

leave user-name and password blank
    Hmmm. I appreciate your attempt to help me but I maybe I wasn't clear in my request. I don't have a cellular data network option where I would set an APN. That would make sense though. Unfortunately, I still only have the three options I listed in my post. Are you suggesting that I should use the VPN settings to set the APN? If so, which configuration? I have L2TP, PPTP, and IPSec and of these provide a space for an APN.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Mmm, is right. See, I'm 2.0.1 and that option is at the very top of the screen above the options you listed... I'm looking at my phone right now - in setting - general - network and at the very top is Cellular Data Network followed by Data Roaming then VPN and Wi-Fi... mine is a 1st generation phone as well..., interesting.

I hope someone else can help you out then.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I actually am having the same issue. It was there when i pwned the phone to 2.0.1 from pwned 2.0 but its not showing up now. I cant get it back. Ive tried resets, reboots, the only thing that works is a repwn and once i set it up it never shows back up.

My first thought was it was a result from a backup after the initial resore that makes it disappear, but my wife's phone still shows the option. we have the same phone, same firmware (custom & OEM) yet mine doesnt show. The only difference is her network is set up like this.

APN: wap.voicestream.com
    User Name:
    Password:

Mine is:
    APN:wap.voicestream.com
    User Name: guest
    Password: guest

I tried using her settings and the only way mine works is as posted.
    19.99 TMobile Internet plans.
    Last edited by Muggz5; 2008-08-20 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

it means that apple added your network to it's list of supported networks when it went from 2.0 to 2.0.1, so you lost the option of manually setting the APN. I had the same issue in India. It got solved with a little bit of SSH work. Here's the link -

Demesne - Vodafone India & Iphone

It should give you back the option of Cellular Data Network. I don't know if this is specific to Vodafone India but it's worth a shot.

it means that apple added your network to it's list of supported networks when it went from 2.0 to 2.0.1, so you lost the option of manually setting the APN. I had the same issue in India. It got solved with a little bit of SSH work. Here's the link -

Demesne - Vodafone India & Iphone

It should give you back the option of Cellular Data Network. I don't know if this is specific to Vodafone India but it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by alchemy; 2008-08-20 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alchemy For This Useful Post:

Draxx (2008-09-04)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I was thinking it had something to do with a backup, and that since its configured correctly, it doesnt bother to show back up. Now I know, but why the need to change it? If you somehow lose your settings I would assume after a sync it would show back up anyway so you could input correct APN and login info.

Look up Tzone hack in Cydia. I am on 2.0 firmware on 1st gen 16gb. Tzones work just fine!

Default So far I'm batting 0% on all of these great suggestions...
    I'm trying to connect to the T-Mobile total Internet plan at 19.95 per month. it seems that ATT has blocked my ability to change the APN settings. I read about an enterprise solution from apple that provides system admins to change the settings to allow for changes to the APN.

Anyone know how to use this?

im at the same spot i get my iphone with 2.0 and downgraded to 1.1.4 thinking that it would fix this but nothing

There is an app you can install from bigboss that will insert the settings for the expensive internet plan. There is also one for the tzone hack. Both eliminate the error message when connecting with iTunes. They differ between which data plan you use.

Find it in tweaks under t-mobile us carrier. Select the one that applies to your data plan.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Try edge fix and tzone hack. Jailbreak and unlock again. I jailbroke and unlocked poped my tmo sim in and it worked and then downloaded tzones hack and got the internet. Works fine. No need to go into settings and messing things up. if you do not know how to enter "Internet2.voicestream.com or internet3.voicestream" in settings leave it alone.
    Last edited by theevilone; 2008-08-22 at 12:27 AM.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theevilone View Post
    Try edge fix and tzone hack. Jailbreak and unlock again. I jailbroke and unlocked poped my tmo sim in and it worked and then downloaded tzones hack and got the internet. Works fine. No need to go into settings and messing things up. if you do not know how to enter "Internet2.voicestream.com or internet3.voicestream" in settings leave it alone.
    well, you do have to enter settings if you havent before, but if you restore a backup after an upgrade/update it will automatically transfer the settings you previously used, But it is now a fact that sometimes you lose the option to "Cellular Data Network" after you set it up correctly and then sync. and what you are suggesting as the APN are incorrect for the 19.99 user on TMobile.

So what is the answer on this issue because I am having the same problem once i restore the phone the Tab is there( Cellular data network) as soon as i turn off the phone and turn it back on the tab disapears. I have unloced using pwnage running 2.01 please advise. Thanks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smajld View Post
    So what is the answer on this issue because I am having the same problem once i restore the phone the Tab is there( Cellular data network) as soon as i turn off the phone and turn it back on the tab disapears. I have unloced using pwnage running 2.01 please advise. Thanks.
    Upon a full ractory restore the option will appear and enable you to set it up. Once you restore your backup settings and info I am pretty sure it will not be there. Now whats interesting though Is I still have the option to enter my info now that I updated and jailbroken 2.0.2

Default Finally Found an Easy Solution!
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help. I found an easy solution that works great on another forum.

Navigate to this site from your iPhone:
    APN Changer
    Enter your settings and hit the download custom config settings button.

That is all you have to do. The site says it is for the 3G but it worked for my 1st Gen iPhone.

If you cannot use your iPhone to visit the site you can download the custom settings but you will have to WinSCP into your phone and you should make sure that you know what you are doing.

Thanks again everyone.

Moderator, please close this thread.

I also have the t-mobile internet (not the tzones). what should I enter into the apn changer?

internet2.voicestream.com

Leave user name and password blank.

internet2.voicestream.com

Leave user name and password blank.
    Last edited by jagdot; 2008-08-25 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jagdot For This Useful Post:

irishjeepguy (2008-08-25)

cool thanks, while waiting for a response I tried a suggestion and searched tmobile on cydia and installed the three items found and now the mail works perfectly!

Go to settings/general/reset/ & reset network settings. The celular data network/edge button should then pop back up under settings/general/network.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast