Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EDGE Issues with 1st Gen iPhone 2.0

Default EDGE Issues with 1st Gen iPhone 2.0
    Looking for some opinions / guidance...

My iPhone is running on T-Mobile, has been without any problems since June of last year. I have the BlackBerry Data Plan - as I use both an iPhone and a BlackBerry Curve for Work (basically allows me to pop my TMO SIM into the BB when I want to use that instead of the iPhone) so I do not want to change that.

Updated to 2.0 a few weeks ago and I've been having periodic outages as far as EDGE Service. Instead of a Blue Box with a white E in it, I have either a Blue Box with a white dot or a White Box with a white dot. I try to use Safari and I'll often get a "COULD NOT ACTIVATE CELLULAR DATA NETWORK" message. I switch it to Airplane Mode to reset the Cell / Network connection but that doesn't always work. I am currently using the APN for the TMO BB Service - wap.voicestream.com / User blank / PW blank.

This problem has forced me to shelve the iPhone on days when I absolutely must need data service when away from the office / WiFi connections as the BlackBerry never has a data issue.

I don't think it's the phone, as I have two sets - meaning 2 1st Gen iPhones and 2 BlackBerrys running on their own TMO BB Data Plans.

Anyone else have this issue? I know it's probably a rare scenario I find myself in, as I don't want to switch to the TZone or Total Internet package - both of those would render my BlackBerrys useless for the most part.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AcesFull711 View Post
    Looking for some opinions / guidance...

My iPhone is running on T-Mobile, has been without any problems since June of last year. I have the BlackBerry Data Plan - as I use both an iPhone and a BlackBerry Curve for Work (basically allows me to pop my TMO SIM into the BB when I want to use that instead of the iPhone) so I do not want to change that.

Updated to 2.0 a few weeks ago and I've been having periodic outages as far as EDGE Service. Instead of a Blue Box with a white E in it, I have either a Blue Box with a white dot or a White Box with a white dot. I try to use Safari and I'll often get a "COULD NOT ACTIVATE CELLULAR DATA NETWORK" message. I switch it to Airplane Mode to reset the Cell / Network connection but that doesn't always work. I am currently using the APN for the TMO BB Service - wap.voicestream.com / User blank / PW blank.

This problem has forced me to shelve the iPhone on days when I absolutely must need data service when away from the office / WiFi connections as the BlackBerry never has a data issue.

I don't think it's the phone, as I have two sets - meaning 2 1st Gen iPhones and 2 BlackBerrys running on their own TMO BB Data Plans.

Anyone else have this issue? I know it's probably a rare scenario I find myself in, as I don't want to switch to the TZone or Total Internet package - both of those would render my BlackBerrys useless for the most part.
    Ok try:
    Boss Prefs > EDGE "on" "off" "on" > reboot.

wap.voicestream.com
    User Name: guest
    Password: guest
    all lowercase...

BossPrefs> "more">"fix user dir permissions" Reboot.

Is the icon with a dot, look more like a shaded box then the flat color it usually is? If so try installing another EDGE icon. If you are getting service but the icon is screwey looking, thats probably why.
    If youre curious about how fast youre running, with your phone go to iphonespeedtest.com and click the speedtest link atop that page.

This isnt EDGE though im on wifi.