Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 2.0.1 and you: Should you upgrade your 2g iphone?

Default 2.0.1 and you: Should you upgrade your 2g iphone?
    Well after several days of investigating and research i decided to take the 2.0.1 plunge.

The question i kept asking myself was.. continue to use the buggy 2.0 firmware and keep my freedom (jailbreak) OR, should i sacrifice my freedom for a more stable (and hopefully less buggy) experience.

After having safari crash on me seven times within five minutes last night and the fact that the upgrade is fully reversible... i decided to go ahead and take the leap!

There is also a second reason why i am taking the upgrade "risk." That is to hopefully answer those questions for others who may have curiosities using with this firmware along with T-Mobile.

For starters, lets give the pre upgrade specs:

8gig First generation iphone
    Custom 2.0 Firmware pwn'd with pwnage 2.0.1
    Carrier: Tmobile with Tzones

The upgrade was simple... all i did was hit upgrade in itunes and away it went. No DFU mode.. no putting it in restore mode.. all i did was simply hit upgrade.

The end result?

As many of us already know.. merely upgrading, not restoring, seems to maintain the activation and unlock.

Also as many of us may already know, all jb apps and cydia itself are gone. Well at least superficially. If you take a look in iTunes you will notice, depending on how many apps you have previously installed, that there is still disk usage in the "other" category. This is an effect that i have previously observed while tinkering with my iphone on previous firmwares. The data is actually still there.. just currently unreachable.

So what? you might be asking yourself. Well my friends, it seems that old settings, including those modified by jb apps, survive the upgrade process. After my upgrade, i still have my custom carrier banner, the tzones hack still works, and my numeric battery is still going strong in the corner.

Just for clarity.. the tzone hack, as least for me, does indeed continue to work after the upgrade.

As the actual firmware performance goes, everything seems to be working at a quicker and smoother pace. I have been testing all my appstore apps, safari, sms etc.. trying to recreate all the issues i previously had on 2.0, and so far i have not had a single crash or keyboard slowdown.

So far.. everything is running great.. i even noticed an added bonus.

One added benefit i did not expect to see was a boost in edge speed. Now, i can not be absolutely sure that i can attribute this speed increase to the upgrade itself.. however.. i am now experiencing 110+ kbps using 2.0.1 as opposed to 87 kbps on 2.0. So make of this what you will.

Is this upgrade worth losing the jailbreak in the end? At least for me, yes it is. I find my iphone far more usable with the 2.0.1 fw as opposed to the 2.0 fw. I do miss bossprefs.. but that is pretty much it. The scarcity of 2.0 apps makes this decision all that much easier.

Over and out,
    Decon Meiou

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decon Meiou For This Useful Post:

amoka (2009-05-24), TechniQue (2008-08-12)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I might have to just go ahead and upgrade, i really dont use JB apps yet i mean there isnt much to use so....... Cause my Edge is kinda slow.........

Thanks

so theres no possiblity that the phone would lock out if u upgraded in itunes?

Thanks

He says not, Ive heard from other people that it wont lock............ Im gonna try it i think.....

Thanks

yea i think im gonna try it too cuz im sick of the buggy-ness of 2.0 lol

I am about 99 percent sure that it will not lock as long as you update and not restore. Restoring will wipe your settings and data, removing tzones and the such.

I can confirm it did not lock on mine as well. 2.0 pwned and upgrade via itunes.

I do however question that a software upgrade can increase edge speed. edge speeds can vary quite a bit depending on congestion. You are probably just seeing more bandwidth because of network capacity opening up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Maybe you chaps are just braver than I am. I was thinking about upgrading in iTunes, but I'll just wait until I can upgrade via Winpwn. I'm still an ultra noob when it comes to this phone, and I don't want to take any chances. (But I still may give it a try)

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, I am etislate in UAE and just upgrade to 2.0.1. its working perfectly fine.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I used winpwn on my iphone and i have 2.0.1 and its still unlocked and jailbroken. there is many blogs on how to do this out there. just search

well I wrote this before the jailbreak. Now that pwnage and winpwn have been updated there is really no excuse to update yourselves.

Good read.. so when upgrading through itunes to 2.0.1, I will be able to keep my Cydia installed settings like Erica Sudan's MIM, etc.. ?

also.. what site do you guys use to check iphone EDGE speeds? Or is tracked by our Iphones somewhere?
    Last edited by jova007; 2008-08-13 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

theres programs you can download or SurrealNetworks<br>Home - Bandwidth Meter