Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New attempt at Internet access..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New attempt at Internet access..
    I know that I can easily activate t-zones and follow the many guides to make that work, but I have to be difficult...

I upgraded from my ~2 year old BB Pearl to a 1st gen iPhone 8gig on the 12th and managed to downgrade from 2.0 to 1.1.4 (she apparently "needed" to upgrade it to wipe it clean) and get it all unlocked and everything. I dont know how unique that situation is but to explain it easily the BB Pearl has a special "add on" from T-mobile that allows it to access internet for programs that require it like google maps, facebook app, etc... meaning that with that feature still on my account (for free might I add) i am thinking that I MAY be able to find a way to access that same internet connection on my iPhone without adding t-zones. I dont care if I cant point Safari to a specific site while I am out, but I would like email, youtube, & installer/cydia access while out....

At home I have WiFi and have successfully used the internet, youtube, mail, etc but once I leave the house I get the "you do not have EDGE" msg that everyone gets. I tried just installing the T-zones 1.1.4 tweak from installer with no luck so I suppose my next step is to follow the 5.99 T-Zones instructions and try it next, but if that doesnt work I would love the community to help me develop a working code for the BB add-on that should benefit the entire group because they just need to call and get that added to their account rather than the 5.99 t-zones...

So finally the questions:

Simple Question - What can I use to explore the iPhones file system? FYI, I am on an original Black Macbook from when they came out (2.0ghz Intel CoreDuo, 2 gigs ram, etc)

Simpler question - would you guys be interested in developing a working fix for the BB add on or is everyone comfortable paying 5.99 a month?

I'm still using my BB service add-on and it's working perfectly. You just need to adjust the edge settings.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can you elaborate please? What am I modding and how?

And just to clarify, you are using the free feature enabler for BB on your iPhone?

I do not believe there is such a thing.

Go to Settings > General > Network > EDGE >
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    username: leave it blank
    password: leave it blank

I don't know if this was necessary, but I also installed the Tweaks from 1.14 called $5.99 T-Zones Hack.

If you have T-Mobile, I would also recommend getting the T-Mobile Carrier Logo (which replaces the boring font that says T-Mobile with an image).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

really? That worked for you? When I try it the phone says not subscribed to edge...

I'll try again tonight

I have some problems with the tzones
    i have a iPhone 1.1.4 firmware
    i unlocked it with Ziphone 3.0
    I downloaded the tzones hack from bigboss community source on installer
    i changed edge setting to wap.voicestream.com

and i still dont have internet

help!
    iPhone 8GB 1.1.4 Unlocked by Ziphone 3.0

First off, did you unlock your phone as well-- jail breaking is only a 1/3 of the process. You need to activate it (which you obviously did) as well as unlock it. If you have done so, as well as adjusted the edge settings and installed the tzones hack, it should function perfectly. If not, I would restore and use iLiberty + which worked great for me.

i already jail breaked it
    unlocked it
    activate it

i am thinking maybe i need to use another jailbreaking software... -_-
    iPhone 8GB 1.1.4 Unlocked by Ziphone 3.0

Green Apple
    Thanks

Try internet2.voicestream.com insdtead of wap.voicestream.com

I use internet2... I never installed a tzones fix or anything. Just setup my edge settings.

the 5.99 t-zones is a requirement to get ths to work?

Quote Originally Posted by gibbs0828 View Post
    I do not believe there is such a thing.

Go to Settings > General > Network > EDGE >
    APN: wap.voicestream.com
    username: leave it blank
    password: leave it blank

I don't know if this was necessary, but I also installed the Tweaks from 1.14 called $5.99 T-Zones Hack.

If you have T-Mobile, I would also recommend getting the T-Mobile Carrier Logo (which replaces the boring font that says T-Mobile with an image).
    Just signed up to say thanks. This did, in fact, work for me on 1.1.4 firmware without the T-Zones hack. I did try the other APN's (internet2, internet3) without success.

Wow, this thread is a hoot.

I don't know exactly what BB service on t-mobile is, but I will assume it is like Total Internet Package ($19.99/month). For that just enter your EDGE settings under
    Settings->General->Network->Edge or Cellular Data Network
    (Possibly restart your phone, and verify your settings)
    This plan is better in every way except one... $$$$

If you feel like saving a few bucks a month, then switch your T-Mobile data service to Tzones or TWeb or whatever costs $5.99. Then download and install the Tzones hack, restart your phone and learn to deal with proxy dropping your first connection.

Oh but the change in my pocket jingles with every step.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by linear View Post
    Wow, this thread is a hoot.

I don't know exactly what BB service on t-mobile is, but I will assume it is like Total Internet Package ($19.99/month). For that just enter your EDGE settings under
    Settings->General->Network->Edge or Cellular Data Network
    (Possibly restart your phone, and verify your settings)
    This plan is better in every way except one... $$$$

If you feel like saving a few bucks a month, then switch your T-Mobile data service to Tzones or TWeb or whatever costs $5.99. Then download and install the Tzones hack, restart your phone and learn to deal with proxy dropping your first connection.

Oh but the change in my pocket jingles with every step.
    The one that I'm talking about is like the T-zones plan but it costs $0.00 a month... its a complimentary service for people who have a BB but dont want to pay for internet, but when you look at My T-mobile it shoes BB data each month of several megs... its because the programs on my BB are allowed to access the net for pieces of necessary information - I just cant go to my browser and type in an address... which is fine with me because I dont need it. I just want to be able to use maps, check my email, etc while I am away from my wifi connection....

I recently upgraded from a BB Pearl 8100 to the iPhone on T-Mobile... but as far as I know there is no free BlackBerry plan. I had to pay $19.99 to use wap.voicestream.com and get my BB push email, browsers, and other apps including Google Calendar Sync (which I miss dearly). Not sure what you had...

Gibbs: As long as you have a full data plan from T-Mobile, the T-Zones hack is useless. Actually, like in my post just a while ago on a different thread, you get more for your money if you switch to the Total Internet Add-on which is the same price as the Unlimited BlackBerry add-on. Namely: WiFi at any T-Mobile hot-spot around the world.
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/t-mobil...ml#post1597581