Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: t-mobile iphone loses signal.. anyone else?

Default t-mobile iphone loses signal.. anyone else?
    My iphone loses my tmobile signal every now and then, in areas where my old cell worked fine. Some area's it doesn't work at all ever, but my bberry pearl gets 3-4 bars in those areas!!

Is anyone else having this issue? It's frustrating. Today I spent all day at a relatives house for xmas with no cell service, yet my wife's tmobile phone worked perfectly.

Do these get weaker reception?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have noticed my phone doing some what of the same thing, it will lose the signal and then its back again in about 10 seconds. I figured it was a T-mobile problem and not a phone problem due to the fact that friends with other types of phones have experienced the same thing lately in the Tampa area.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i have had this problem with my iphone but i figure the phone is not meant to be used for tmobil lol! is there anyway to make this better?

I too have had this problem..It was working before christmas, but now i just get a No Service in the carrier logo area for about 2-3 days now..

i've been having service but not in movie theaters or my gf's grandmother's place. but it works great everywhere else

same here. Every now and then I'll see that it say no service. I need to turn it off and on to get signal again. Odd.

Thanks

I am also in the Tampa Bay area, by NPR and am getting the no service or very low signal once in a while! It too started on the 26th......

Kinda frustrating. By chance, does anyone experiencing this have IToggle installed? Or the T-Mobile proxy patch? And if so, which patch? From Surreal or the T-mobile installer?

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    Iphone 1.2.1 oob-working with Quicksim on
    Ariel, I mean Voicestream, Sorry I mean T-Mobile

Windows Vista Ultimate
    Tampa Bay FL

Do something, anything, better today than yesterday!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I too.. Just recently, aproximately started around 1 week ago.. It will lose its signal for 10 sec then it's back again.. It's like a loop. I Hate it! Then once in awhile you will get a voicemail when your iphone is sitting right next to you without touching it and not ringing even though you have all the signal. SOOOOO WEIRD! Ooh what about the **CALL FAILED** on full signal bar??? YES!! I get that too once in awhile. Don't know what's going on t-mobile these days. It's not only doing that on my iPhone cause I tried to use my sim card on nokia n80 and it do the same.

On xmas day, I actually lose my EDGE!! not just the edge but even the "E" icon the entire day. If I didnt checked my hubby's iphone, I will going to start crying but his edge also gone just like mine. so I just waited till the next day and there it was, the beautiful "E" is back.. 'course got to turn wifi off to checked my edge.

Carrier: Tmobile
    Apple iPhone 8gb : FW 1.1.2 Unlocked
    EDGE: $5.99 Tzones Plan
    Email: YES
    SAFARI: YES
    MAP: YES
    YouTube: YES
    WEATHER: YES
    STOCKS: YES

i think the iphone dosent catch service very good at all. i have a tmobile iphone and a tmobile sidekick i have full service on the sidekick and the iphone has 2-3 bars in the same spot

Thanks

There is a 'fix' for the intermittent no service issue on Hackint0sh but it involves removing the back and loosening and then retightening the screws down by the antenna area.

It is pretty hairy and I am not quite ready to do it but here is the link for those inclined to try it:

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/show...hlight=service

Let me know if it works.

Thanks and Happy New Year to each of you!
    Iphone 1.2.1 oob-working with Quicksim on
    Ariel, I mean Voicestream, Sorry I mean T-Mobile

Windows Vista Ultimate
    Tampa Bay FL

Do something, anything, better today than yesterday!

This doesn't seem to be a intermittent fix. I think it's more for people that lose signal all together for extended periods of time. I've seen specualtion that this intermitent drop in signal is a software issue. (Maybe something about selecting cell sites properly?) I have this intermitent issue, but it seems to occur in certain areas pretty often and rarely in others.

Has anyone had any luck alleviating this issue? Seems like a lot of the people that tried that "insulation fix" come back later saying they are still having the loss of signal issue.

I have itogle and tzones installed I get low serves but I noteced that when I try to call I get signal or when I someone called it works it seems that just the bar error but the signal exists all the time
    ps I live in Chicago

Default Field test mode
    Has anyone tried going into field test mode when the service interruption occurs?

There are a couple areas where i lose service, but it seems like the phone is just trying to connect to the wrong towers. (i.e. a strong cingular signal i think). When i got into field test mode, i see some strong signals from other networks (guessing AT&T) and then some of the 25 and 255 networks lower down in signal strength, but even at the level strength they are showing i ususally get at least 2 bars.

If this was a hardware issue, wouldn't we not be seeing these cell towers at all in field test mode?

My guess is tmo is network number 26 and 255? I think i saw on a friends AT&T phone they were all Network number 350? (at least in los angeles)

could it be that the phone just gets confused on which towers to select? When the signal goes out it reminds me of when i used to select AT&T as my network manually on my pearl. Everything would fail.... although i think it did still show a signal... hmmm...

Maybe we should compare notes and see if something third party could be causing the software to get confused on which tower it should be connecting to?

1.1.2 OTB:

I used this process: downgrade to 1.1.1, apptapp installer 1.0.2 to get it out of recover, jail break, then oktoprep, and 1.1.2 . Using a stealth sim card. Currently no 3rd party apps, except installer and SSH.

I did a full restore to see if i have better results without all the junk i put on before.
    Last edited by cartman13; 2008-01-08 at 07:46 PM.

Default Same problem exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by cartman13 View Post
    Has anyone tried going into field test mode when the service interruption occurs?

There are a couple areas where i lose service, but it seems like the phone is just trying to connect to the wrong towers. (i.e. a strong cingular signal i think). When i got into field test mode, i see some strong signals from other networks (guessing AT&T) and then some of the 25 and 255 networks lower down in signal strength, but even at the level strength they are showing i ususally get at least 2 bars.

If this was a hardware issue, wouldn't we not be seeing these cell towers at all in field test mode?

My guess is tmo is network number 26 and 255? I think i saw on a friends AT&T phone they were all Network number 350? (at least in los angeles)

could it be that the phone just gets confused on which towers to select? When the signal goes out it reminds me of when i used to select AT&T as my network manually on my pearl. Everything would fail.... although i think it did still show a signal... hmmm...

Maybe we should compare notes and see if something third party could be causing the software to get confused on which tower it should be connecting to?

1.1.2 OTB:

I used this process: downgrade to 1.1.1, apptapp installer 1.0.2 to get it out of recover, jail break, then oktoprep, and 1.1.2 . Using a stealth sim card. Currently no 3rd party apps, except installer and SSH.

I did a full restore to see if i have better results without all the junk i put on before.

I've had the exact same problem as this person has described, except that the same phone my GF has did not have this issue until i got a hold of it. i purchased 2 iphones from the same guy unlocked, no problems until i learned i can jailbreak and unlock 1.1.2 firmware. i did, and thats when i got spotty service. i've upgraded, downgraded, virginized, unlocked with AnySim 1.1 & AnySim 1.2.1u & AnySim1.1p too many times all with the same results. the one i left alone unlocked by the guy i bought it from is still working perfectly. so i don't know whats up does anybody have a clue?

Try resetting the APN. On Christmas day I lost edge signal. switched APN from: wap.voicestream.com to: internet2.voicestream.com and it regained edge signal. Whenever my phone looses edge signal ocasionally I just switch the APN. Both the wap and internet2 portals work. I believe they just either become overloaded or shut down occasionally. I've listed portals below for reference. Hope this may help some of you who lose Edge signal on occasion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Service------ Access Point Name (APN )
    T-MobileWeb: wap.voicestream.com
    T-Mobile Internet: internet2.voicestream.com
    T-Mobile Internet with VPN
    (Virtual Private Network): internet3.voicestream.com
    T-Mobile BlackBerry: wap.voicestream.com
    T-Mobile SideKick: hiptop.t-mobile.com
    (Only accessible from a SideKick)
    "All APNs have access to T-Mobile's EDGE Network without any additional configuration or charge from T-Mobile. There are no noteable speed differences between any of the APNs except the latency inherent to any wireless packet-switching network."
    as stated on: http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/T-Mobile_Data
    Last edited by blackpearl079; 2008-01-10 at 01:30 PM.
    Iphone 16GB version 1.1.3 jailbroken and unlocked. Updated to 1.1.4 jailbroken and unlocked + mods. Sold my unlocked 4GB.

Default If you are using a TurboSim card....
    If you are using a TurboSim card...
    You may want to make sure it's properly aligned with your SIM card.
    I'm using a StealthSIM card and at first I was getting the same; either a weak signal, or No Signal or No SIM card!
    So, I trimmed the StealthSIM card a little bit at the top and put a little piece of tape to prevent the two from becoming misaligned and voila! I haven't had any problems yet.
    Hope this helps someone.

Did a full restore after talking to tmobile about it. Seems to have improved he reliability. Haven't been getting constant drop outs. Experienced my first one in about a week a few minutes ago... about 30 min. after using navizon for the first time again. hmm... i always suspect that app, but have no real basis outside of my limited sample of 2. so take that with a grain of salt.

By chance, does anyone experiencing this have IToggle installed? Or the T-Mobile proxy patch? And if so, which patch? From Surreal or the T-mobile installer?
    about 30 min. after using navizon for the first time again. hmm... i always suspect that app
    Guys, this is not a problem related to any of these apps.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

Hi guys,

I was going to post more observations, but saw big bosses post saying he was pretty sure it was not an issue with these applications. (including navizon). So, want to see if anyone else can recreate this issue, or if it's just unique to my phone or software set up.

I've recreated my issue after using navizon 4 more times since yesterday. I will run Navizon, and let it locate me. Then I will close out of the app and leave the phone alone or hit the power key to put it into lock mode. 15-20 min. later, the signal drops out and then it reconnects to the wireless network. I also know this occurs because I get the VM notification (the t-mobile issue with losing signal, airplane mode, reboot, ect).It did not happen once, and during that trial, i was running the count down timer. But every other time running the program was followed by that intermittent signal drop. But after I reboot the phone and never touch the program, i've been eight hours + w/o the signal drop.

sidenote: not sure if anyone knows if this might indicate something, but he accuracy of my navizon has dropped off considerably... is this just cause the premium trial ended or something?

I have the exact same problem and someone on another post suggested going to the settings menu---carrier and click on automatic, I have just done this and waiting to see results. hope this helps !
    If I help you out, help me out by clicking the button

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast