Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: ***Read if you use TZones! I have questions!***

Default ***Read if you use TZones! I have questions!***
    I have a few questions about the TZones-as-EDGE hacks.

1. What method did you use to set it up? Did you follow the online guides and do it manually, or did you install the TZones enabler from BigBoss?
    2. How is the speed? Is it like they say: "a little slower than EGDE, but useful nonetheless"?
    3. MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION: Does every app work? If not, which ones do NOT work? Does anyone know if they will be fixed in the future?
    4. Has T-Mobile caught/yelled at anyone about using TZones on an iPhone yet?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ive tried both method to install the hack. I've done it manually when i was on 1.0.2, 1.1.1, and 1.1.2, and I currently use it on 1.1.4 with the hack from the BigBoss Repo. All of them have worked.

THe Speed is basically the same for me as what I'm using right now, the $19.99 plan. I mean, I don't notice a big difference, but I heard this is also dependant on area as well. I'm in the Atlanta metro area.

And yes, every app works. Your phone is accessing the internet, doesnt matter if its through regular $20/mo internet, TZones, or Wifi. Internet is internet to the iphone.

TMobile hasnt caught on, and I doubt they will. Let me rephrase that. TMobile knows about the hack, but they arent going to trip on it. The TZones Hack has been out longer than the iphone, with WindowsMobile phones. I wouldnt worry about it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to frankydabull For This Useful Post:

n00neimp0rtant (2008-07-09)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

tmobile doesnt care bout the hack, you are using the same internet as the 19.99 plan. tmobile has its net setup for phones not access. so u get the same speeds on both. the area and weather decide your speed more than anything.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tattoojack For This Useful Post:

n00neimp0rtant (2008-07-09)

Thanks be to you, frankydabull.

Quote Originally Posted by frankydabull View Post
    And yes, every app works. Your phone is accessing the internet, doesnt matter if its through regular $20/mo internet, TZones, or Wifi. Internet is internet to the iphone.
    Ehhh...I heard something about YouTube not working...is that just because some idiots don't know to install the rather flagrant YouTube Fix in installer? Really doesn't matter anyway; I prefer MxTube instead (AMAZING app btw), I was just curious. My iPhone is on it's way in the mail, and I just wanted to know what I am in store for.

Hey there.

I'm running the t-zones hack from bigboss on my iPhone. Rebooted my iPhone and it took about an hour after I updated my plan online with t-mob for it to enable itself. No additional configuration needed.

Speeds are about the same as the $20 plan, however I have experienced that if you try to download larger files over... say 1MB via installer or something like that, it'll stall. I'm guessing t-mobile has some sort of filesize restrictions in place to encourage people to bump up to the $20 plan.

As for T-Mobile catching on... well, I called T-Mobile about my service as I was going to be travelling internationally and the rep got all friendly with me without me even mentioning that I had an iPhone! He was like, "Oh! I see you have the iPhone." and began asking questions like, "So how long have you had it for?" "Do you like it?" "Does it work well?" etc.

As long as the iPhone is making them money they wouldn't be making otherwise, I see no reason why T-Mobile would have any desire or reason to prevent iPhones from working on their network.

Hope that clears things up for you. Good luck!

Thanks

there is no difference between the 19.99 plan and the 5.99 plan except for 14 dollars!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Tried it and loved it.... but 1 thing fo rme is it wont check my email automaticly... anyone else have this issue?

Ive had tzones hack ever since the hack originally came out. ive had it on 1.1.1-4. The best way to get it is thru the big boss installer source always reliable and i also installed Sticky APN cause if not server adess ca get deleted or something. ive had a couple of issues at times but i cant comlain im only paying $5.99 for internet. just dont exppect it to work lightifast ad have a lil patiece but i love it im happy. i have wifi at home so it is no big deal to me. ive heard of ppl gettin restricted on using iternet cause they are using 5.99 plan instead of $20 but tmobile doesnt care. they know i have an iphone and ive had the 5.99(tzones) plan for so long. and apps work fine i havet had a problem only thing is if u have a lot of installer sources i dont suggest you opening installer cause it can take a while to refresh toooooooo many sources.

So is normal for the setting to take a while before they work? I just upgraded my phone plan to include the t-zones(about an hour) and it hasn't worked yet(put the bigboss patch on about 30 min ago). Just be patient or did I mess something up?

be patient. customer service told me it can take up two 2 days. Mine took approx. 5 hours from when I called to activate tzone.
    gl.

Quote Originally Posted by insane780 View Post
    So is normal for the setting to take a while before they work? I just upgraded my phone plan to include the t-zones(about an hour) and it hasn't worked yet(put the bigboss patch on about 30 min ago). Just be patient or did I mess something up?

Quote Originally Posted by frankydabull View Post
    are you kidding???????? the core apps work (exception being youtube), and some things like installer, appstore, and AIM work. Pandora works now since an update (sent from the heavens), but didn't used to, and MANY MANY apps, if not most, that access the internet, DO NOT WORK. simplify mobile media, mobilechat, beejive, Tuner, (and the list goes on and on and on) do NOT work. anything that requires internet access has a good chance that it won't connect. tethering w/t-zones has been iffy at best. if anyone has an idea on how to fix ANY apps to work that don't PLEASE POST!!! in the meantime, lets not sell shangrila to the noobs

t-zones and total internet are NOT the exact same thing. t-zones is limited to certain ports. t-zones is awesome for safari and other applicable uses though.
    Last edited by b3nny; 2008-10-12 at 03:38 PM.

I'm going to be honest. I did the hack thing. It was hit or miss.YOUTUBE never worked unless I was on WIFI. GOOGLE was hit or miss also. The speed imo is faster on the full data plan.I live in a major US city Austin. Go for the full data plan if you can afford the 20.00. I'm assuming since you have an iphone you can afford the 20.00 a month.

See my reply from this thread to get everything working (except the App Store and iTunes) with T-Zones:

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    for the last time,
    the hack installs the proxy.pac file which you need to make it work with tzones. so yes you do need the hack and the new apn to make it all work.
    Quit the FUD.

There is no need for the T-Zones hack with the new APN.

The hack reroutes all your internet traffic through the proxy address due to the port restrictions associated with the wap.voicestream.com APN.

The new epc.tmobile.com has little to no port restrictions (I believe there are a few port restrictions -> see App Store and iTunes not connecting).

With that said, the epc.tmobile.com APN, without the T-Zones hack, provides "full" (minus the App Store and iTunes) internet (yes, YouTube works 100%).

I find it unbelievable that people are still confused. Which leads me to believe that they're not reading the entire thread.

Bottom line:

- wap.voicestream.com + T-Zones Hack = Limited (no IM clients, no streaming audio/video, no YouTube, $CODES$ errors, slow Weather app et al. startup times) internet via the MMS proxy gateway.

- epc.tmobile.com (only, without the T-Zones Hack installed) = Full internet, except App Store and iTunes.

Poseidon79 definitely got it right:

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    $19.99 plan apn = internet2.voicestream.com
    $5.99 plan apn = epc.tmobile.com (without t-zones hack) or wap.voicestream.com (with t-zones hack)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lecram25 For This Useful Post:

Poseidon79 (2008-10-14)

Update:
    App Store works with new APN (epc.)
    iTunes needs WiFi connection to work...

Thanks

i am on 1.1.4 and have the tzones hack with the epc. Apn and i am pulling 500+kbs in jacksonville fl.

Thanks

Wow, that's even faster than 3G.

Are you sure that you didn't connect thru wifi? (check your icon for edge or wifi for your connection)

It seems to me that Unsupported Browser no longer offers the $5.99 T-Zones plan.
    I downgraded mine from the total internet plan to the $5.99 plan about a month ago from the website. I had to change which phone it showed I was using to have it show up on the services page, but I was able to do it just fine. I just went on to get my wife's new iPhone set up with the t-zones plan (downgrading from her previous blackberry plan), and no matter which phone I select, it seems like the closest thing they have now is a $9.99 100mb data plan. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I went ahead and selected it... I assume it's on the same epc.tmobile.com. I guess I'll find out as soon as it goes through.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by punkrockprince View Post
    It seems to me that Unsupported Browser no longer offers the $5.99 T-Zones plan.
    I downgraded mine from the total internet plan to the $5.99 plan about a month ago from the website. I had to change which phone it showed I was using to have it show up on the services page, but I was able to do it just fine. I just went on to get my wife's new iPhone set up with the t-zones plan (downgrading from her previous blackberry plan), and no matter which phone I select, it seems like the closest thing they have now is a $9.99 100mb data plan. Is anyone else having the same problem?

I went ahead and selected it... I assume it's on the same epc.tmobile.com. I guess I'll find out as soon as it goes through.
    that is correct. tmobile does not offer the unlimited 5.99 plan anymore. if u need more than 100mb 25 bucks is what youll need to spend.. epc.tmobile.com will workk on the 9.99 plan and the 25dollar plan

Thanks

i have the 5.99 plan and i use the epc.tmobile.com without the tzones hack. and i can make a video showing me clock 500kbs at work.

unless inetworktest.com is lying!

my roomate hit 765kbs at walmart the other day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tattoojack View Post
    i am on 1.1.4 and have the tzones hack with the epc. Apn and i am pulling 500+kbs in jacksonville fl.
    tattoojack & I have had our disagreements in the past, but he def knows his sh*t & he is %100 right about this! I have a 3g 2.1 unlocked w/ isim & jailbroken phone running the proxy hack w/ epc.tmobile.com & I have access to every app on my phone. Pandora, iradio, app store, cydia, YOUTUBE, & TONS MORE.
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva