Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes with T-Mobile...I'm worried.

Cool iTunes with T-Mobile...I'm worried.
    I just have a couple quick questions for someone who is versed in iPhones for T-Mobile. I am about to buy an unlocked iPhone from eBay with firmware 1.1.. My questions are 1.) I have iTunes 7.5.0 installed on my computer and the sellers all say something about not updating iTunes past 7.4.3., should I be concerned about getting my music onto my phone? How worried should I be about my phone relocking when I try to transfer music over? And 2) Will getting an iPhone that is jailbroken also make it easier to transfer the music over?

One more quick question: should I get 1.1.2 instead of 1.1.1? I'm seriously kinda clueless about what's best. HELP ME.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation from somebody that is knowledgable that I don't really need to worry too much about hooking my phone up to my computer; that it's not going to automatically update or something crazy.

Hope this was posted in the correct forum, and thanks in advance for any help.

-TW
    Last edited by Slowsunrise; 2007-12-13 at 04:50 PM. Reason: I'm dumb. :)

Itunes 7.5 works just fine no problems. I use t-mobile and just updated to 1.1.1. That firmware works just fine. With as easy and as many forums as there are in here if you get the phone and cant live witout 1.1.2 its not that hard to do. If I were you I would find a used phone. NOT NEW 1.1.2 OTB. and hack it myself its really and easy process and will save you a couple hundred bucks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gavakie For This Useful Post:

Slowsunrise (2007-12-13)

Thanks for the advice! A couple other questions. Why get a used one? Are you saying not to get a new one period? Or not a new one with 1.1.2...and what does OTB mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowsunrise View Post
    Thanks for the advice! A couple other questions. Why get a used one? Are you saying not to get a new one period? Or not a new one with 1.1.2...and what does OTB mean?
    1. otb (out of the box).

2a. he is suggesting you get a iphone that is 1.1.1 or before that (1.0.2).
    2b. whether its bnib or lnib (in this case - USED) iphone 1.1.1 or before.

*bottom line is 1.1.2 firmware cannot be sim unlocked. so do not get a iphone which have 1.1.2 otb! (yet)

(correct me if i am wrong someone )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gavakie For This Useful Post:

Slowsunrise (2007-12-14)

Thanks alot guys. Appreciate the help.

I'm totally confused about this. But you CAN purchase a 1.1.2 phone, then downgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock right? This must be possible because I believe I did this very thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 6309phone View Post
    I'm totally confused about this. But you CAN purchase a 1.1.2 phone, then downgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock right? This must be possible because I believe I did this very thing.
    No you cannot...

OTB 1.1.2 Iphone cannot be unlocked with anysim, your only choice is a sim hack (i.e. Turbosim, Stealthsim, etc.). With a OTB 1.1.2 you can downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreak, and then upgrade back to 1.1.2.

You might want to search the "Unlocking" section of this forum.

Will a 1.1.2 OTB with Stealthsim have any problems with Itunes? Anyone know?

>
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 6309phone View Post
    I'm totally confused about this. But you CAN purchase a 1.1.2 phone, then downgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock right?.

REPLY:
    No you cannot...

WOW, I believe I just did this with 2 phones. I bought them with 1.1.2, then downgraded to 1.1.1. and unlocked them. I'm pretty darn sure they had 1.1.2 on them.

Quote Originally Posted by 6309phone View Post
    >
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 6309phone View Post
    I'm totally confused about this. But you CAN purchase a 1.1.2 phone, then downgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock right?.

REPLY:
    No you cannot...

WOW, I believe I just did this with 2 phones. I bought them with 1.1.2, then downgraded to 1.1.1. and unlocked them. I'm pretty darn sure they had 1.1.2 on them.
    Well as I understand it its the new bootloader that can't be cracked, not the firmware. So some phones that shipped with 1.1.2 still had the old bootloader and these phones can be downgraded to 1.1.1 and jailbroken and unlocked. But the phones with the new bootloader 4.6 cannot be hacked right now, so the only option is to downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreak it and use stealthsim or something similar. That's what I had to do because I blindly bought my phone not knowing all the facts. But it all worked out for me. :-) good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is there any way to tell in advance what type of bootloader, or firmware is on the phone without opening the box??
    (former jersey boy)
    :'( will aways miss you garden state