Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3G available on T-Mobile Nationwide?

Default 3G available on T-Mobile Nationwide?
    In light of the imminent release of the iphone 3G, one of the most pressing questions that I have been trying to research on the internet is T-Mobile's 3G network.

As a lot of people on this forum are on T-Mobile, and most likely contemplating upgrading to the 3G iphone, will the 3G capability be any use to us T-Mobile users out there?

I briefly heard somewhere that T-Mobile's 3G network was up in NYC, but didnt hear of any nationwide plans....

I will most likely upgrade due to the built in GPS, but having 3G would definitely make my websurfing life easier.....

Any ideas or insights onto T-Mobile's 3G network?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Call them and ask...

My iPhone is a Part of Me JAG2621's Avatar
    Thanks

T-mobile USA 3G uses 1700 MHz spectrum for download and 2100 MHz for upload (850/1900 for voice). AT&T uses the 850/1900 MHz frequency spectrum for 3G data (850 MHz for voice). If the phone doesn't have a radio with the correct frequency, the phone will not work. It is highly unlikely that Apple has included a odd-ball 1700 MHz radio with the iPhone because IIRC T-mobile USA is the only one to use this freq.

You will still be able to use the "3G" iPhone on T-mobiles 2.5G (EDGE) network (backwards compatible) meaning the phone will work and you can get data, just at EDGE speeds
    If anything was usefull a thanks would be great!

If apple loves us they will
    -Ben

Jag,

Do you think it is possible for ppl to mod the frequency of the 3G iphone?

I dont know if something like that would even be possible, but I am assuming that carriers in different countries may use different frequencies compared to AT&T, and if so the frequency of the radio should be able to changed via firmware right?

Because I cant see Apple using different radios, since it would be harder to control cost and the best way would be a radio that could be flashed different firmware to best match the carrier that it is going to.....

I know this may be pipe dreams but I think it may be a possibility....

The antenna limited by hardware, no software can modify the frequency like that.

i don't wanna be rude or a troll.. but it seems everyday a new thread goes up regarding tmobile 3g and the new iphone. the answer is always the same, it doesn't work. different frequency. why can't people just look down the page.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foureight84 For This Useful Post:

Kahl (2009-03-07), Napoleon_PhoneApart (2008-06-25)

but what about 3g in euro? tmobile has iphone in one country i forgot which one wouldnt they have 3g the same as tmobile here due to tmobile phones that have 3g? and if they do and they have the iphone on there network why wouldnt it be somewhere in there?

Different network. Its in europe for one thing which uses an entirely different band the the us(one that the iPhone actually has). Just because its the same company doesnt mean that the phone will work universally for it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

does anyone know if the gps system is 3g reliant? like, will the gps work on edge or does it require 3g? jus a tmobile user question i bet others may want to know about as well
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    does anyone know if the gps system is 3g reliant? like, will the gps work on edge or does it require 3g? jus a tmobile user question i bet others may want to know about as well
    I would assume it will load much slower but it should only be reliant on the actual satellites

Quote Originally Posted by rusty778 View Post
    I would assume it will load much slower but it should only be reliant on the actual satellites
    Im guessing it will be 3G dependent. But it will not rely on the sats because it is ASSISTED Gps.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

if you ask me. true gps has to require some kinda faster update system. i can't imagine it working and updating fast enough as you move like while driving on edge network. unless it doesn't work like that and only pin points ur exact location kinda like "locate me" feature on google maps. what kinda gps would that be lol.

but!!!!!! real gps systems don't even use internet at all, what the heck is assisted gps?
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

Assisted gps is actually better than normal gps. It DOES use the real navstar satellite system plus cell and wifi mac addresses. So this means if you are out of satellite range(like in a building) it will use tower and wifi locations to find you instead(like the old iPhone)