Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I got a question for all you tmo users w/ out edge...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default I got a question for all you tmo users w/ out edge...
    Ok well I recently got my iphone 16gb, I unlocked and jailbroke it with i-liberty+ and it's running firmware 1.1.4.

Now I was just wondering for all my fellow t-mobile iphone users with out Edge. Do you guys still get the E symbol for Edge next to the carrier name? Or in other words where the wifi signal symbol would be.

Because I got the E symbol for Edge near my tmobile carriers name on my iphone even though I don't got edge. And I don't get internet access when I'm not using wifi.

Livin the iPhone Life aziatiklover's Avatar
    Thanks

yes its normal to have the E for edge even tho u dont have edge. it works when u send mms.
     Think Different

Green Apple
    Thanks
    so its normal to still have the E, Edge symbol on a unlocked iPhone though I don't got edge. Hmmm ok that's reasuring I thought I was getting charged for edge even though I don't got it. But yeah what is "mms" exactly??

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You'll probably get charged of you use it though...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

When there is an edge connection available the E will show up. Whether or not you have subscribed to the service is another thing entirely.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    well I'm not subscribed/do not have any sort of data plan, so I guess I'm not getting charged.....I thought at first that the reason why I got the edge symbol was because I was getting charged for edge...guess I was wrong.

Yea that happened to me before I added the t-zones plan. Its always there unless you are using WiFi, and i always try to use it, just to see if it charges me for data roaming or something because I didn't have an EDGE plan, and safari would never even connect. So I don't think you have to worry about it charging you extra!
    i LOVE apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Xettexl View Post
    so its normal to still have the E, Edge symbol on a unlocked iPhone though I don't got edge. Hmmm ok that's reasuring I thought I was getting charged for edge even though I don't got it. But yeah what is "mms" exactly??

Yes, The phone transmitter will detect that the network supports Edge, even thogh you are not using it nor configured for it. it is telling you that if you are configured for Edge you will get edge speed. E replaced the previous symbol.

mms = Multimedia Messaging Service

look more info on this:

What is Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS)?

cheerios,

chris