Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will work with T-Mobile USA's 3G network (please read and verify)

Default Will work with T-Mobile USA's 3G network (please read and verify)
    Ok, correct me if I'm wrong here.

* The new iPhone has a 3G radio that will function on three frequencies: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz (see here).
    * AT&T only uses the 850 and 1900 frequencies. T-Mobile on the other hand uses the 2100 MHz frequency for downloads and the 1700 MHz frequency for uploads (see here).
    * So, logically speaking, the iPhone 3G can use T-Mobile USA's downlink frequency but not it's uplink. This basically means that you could download using T-Mobile's 3G, but for uploads you would have to use EDGE, which is hardly a big deal.

(This is once 3G becomes available nationwide with T-Mobile, while as of now it is only working in NYC.)

Please refute this logic only if you know what you're talking about.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ok, in theory, yes, but we have no way of knowing if the new iphone will roll from 3G to Edge the same way that it does from Wifi to Edge now until the new phone is actually released. And if is like that, then ok, i will buy the new 3G.

If it doesnt, the you have to keep in mind that things like http request are done on the upstream side of things, so how would the phone know what to download? Maybe this is a problem that can be handled with clever scripting? I guess we will have to wait and see. The only thing that sucks is that now is the time to sell your phone if you plan on getting a new one, because prices are dropping, FAST. I wish we could get some solid answers

You know, I can't wait for the day when the AT&T exclusivity on the phone runs out and Apple is free to distribute the next iPhone (possibly Gen 3?) through all carries. By now the iPhone has been established as one of the more popular smartphones (like Blackberries) and it should be available in the USA and worldwide through multiple carriers.

Me, I'm sticking with the first gen iPhone. I do envy the better battery life, but I will manage.
    • On T-mobile with 2.0 with help from Pwnage 2.0

It will be a waste for Tmobile customers to switch to 3G at this time. The Roll out for 3G is NYC and that's not even complete. They started in May.