Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Quick question coudln't find it via searching.

Default Quick question coudln't find it via searching.
    Hey, guys sorry I searched but I could not find a direct answer for this.

First off, theres no sticky I could find to help me with the terminology based around modding iphones, if there is a link would be super useful if not a few quick answers please before we move on. Difference between jailbreaking and unlocking and the disadvantages/advantages of each?

Ok, sorry to my main question.

Do you get free calls when connected to wifi with t-mobiles hotspots if your signed up for that and use the iphone via t-mobile?

Also, why do so may people go with t-mobile over at&t comparing the prices online it seemed about the same, is this the reason? Also what do you get thats so nice with t-zones? If you guys could answer these questions id be so happy i searched a lot but couldn't find any and I'm buying my iphone tomorrow

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Unlock means you can use the iPhone on GSM carriers other than AT&T.
    Jailbreak means the ability to load 3rd party (non-apple) programs on the phone.
    You don't get free calls when on wi-fi unless you load a VOIP program on your phone and subscribe to something like Skype.
    T-Mobile is MUCH cheaper to run the iPhone on bc AT&T charges a $40 iphone plan fee to cover data where as you can use the $5.99 t-zones plan on t-mobile for unlimited data.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Dimluck13 (2008-04-19)

Even if I add something similar to skype on my phone, I only get free calls over wifi if the person i'm calling also has skype on his phone right? Cause i was reading into it and it seems like theres quite a few VOIP programs available for the iphone, but they said the other person has to have the same program on their end. Ok, and unlock is necessary for t-mobile, thanks man good info.

I read about issues, using t-mobile's tzones and youtube? Are those fixed those posts were like months old, its hard searching on this website IMO, cause i have no idea which version is out now and they are all talking about mad diff versions in real old threads, so i don't know what issues have and haven't been fixed yet and stuff, so thanks a lot for answering my questions straight up.

Thanks

Skype Pro is $3 a month for unlimted calls within the US to ANY phone. Ignore all posts related to old versions (1.0.2, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3). The newest version is 1.1.4 and is fully unlockable and jailbreakble in several ways and ALL phone functions work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Dimluck13 (2008-04-19)

Wow, so it looks like if you get t-mobile unlocked iphone with hot spots, and you d/l skype via jailbreaking you can get free calls on wifi for 3$/month? Is this possible? Does skype pro exist on iphone? Thats awesome, if you could elaborate a little. I think i'll go get the 16 gig ipod tomorrow, I was considering waiting for the new 3g one i read about on this forum, but since I actually found my answers thanks to you in a timely manner I might just go out and get this one. I read the 3g isn't incredibly faster unless your like sending files anyways.

So my final Questions. Then i'll go buy my iphone tomorrow.

How much would a T-mobile plan be for Unlimited data. Lowest amount of minutes/texts available. With hotspots? A month? you don't' have to look it up on the website just a rough estimate is fine.

Also does youtube work fine now with t-mobile?

And, is skype pro available for d/l on the iphone?

Are there free unlocking/jailbreaking programs i can search for on this site? (i'll do it myself unelss you know the links off hand) or do i have to buy then and if so rough estimate on their price.

Thanks dude!!!

Thanks

The program you want on your phone is called Fring (look on the news part of the forum for info). Go to Skype.com and start up an account and you will use this log in info within the Fring program. I think the least expensive t-mobile plan is $29.99 + $5.99 for t-zones. As far as unlocking go to the Guides tab at the top for multiple jailbreak/unlock methods. I would personally choose Ziphone (www.ziphone.org for download) b/c it's a one click does all program that's easiest for new users.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

Dimluck13 (2008-04-19)

Ok, whole new questions. Is there as of now anyway to get flash to work on iphone's safari? Also, will an apple retailer or at&t store sell you the iphone without signing up for at&t? And what exactly are youtube's limitations while using t-zones? Also is the 5.99 T-zone hack necessary to get online with that plan? Also.. do new iphone's 16 gig come with 1.1.4? Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Dimluck13; 2008-04-19 at 07:08 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

all iphone's will come 1.1.4. AT&T will activate the phone for you so you need to get it at an apple store

You do need at least tzones to get online although I didnt 100% understand that question. Not sure of youtube