Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Make Icons the Lazy Way

Default [How To] Make Icons the Lazy Way
    Hello.
    I'm the kind of person who likes a clean looking phone, with authentic looking icons, and not some random ball or something as the default icon, so I thought of a way to make icons a really, really easy way [and this is great for people who don't know how to use photoshop/any other photo editing software].

Requirements:
    iPhone firmware: 1.1.3/1.1.4
    iPod Touch firmware: 1.1.3/1.1.4 with January Upgrade

Let's start:

1) Start off by finding an image that you want to use as your application icon [DeviantArt is a great place to find images for pretty much anything].

2) Upload the image to ImageShack and copy the 2nd to last link provided, "show image to friends", right above the direct link.

3) Head over to TinyURL, paste the link that you copied and click, "Make TinyURL!"

4) Now on your iPhone/iPod Touch, nagivate to the TinyURL created [a TinyURL was created to avoid having to type in the long ImageShack URL].

5) The image will load, with it in the center of the page. Zoom into the image so it fills the whole page, or center the part of the image you want and now click the little "plus" sign on the bottom bar. Press "Add to Home Screen" and as you can see, an icon will be created for you automatically. If you don't like the positioning of the icon, just go back and move it.

6) Save the bookmark, now using SSH or iPhoneBrowser, head over to "/var/mobile/Library/WebClips" and find the webclip you just made. If you have multiple webclips, you can open up the .plist files to see where the webclip is pointing to (imageshack.us) and voila, your icon is there.

Every icon you see in the image below was made by me (except the dock) using this method, and it looks really clean in my opinion.

If anyone would like a Summerboard theme of these icons, I'd would be happy to compile it for you.

Have fun!

P.S.
    This process seems pretty complicated at first, but once you make a couple of icons, it becomes a breeze. All the icons made above were made under 30 minutes.

Edit: (3/31/08)
    This is a summerboard theme of the icons you see above. Only the icons are provided because the dock is not mine and the wallpaper was taken from http://vladstudio.com
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by relientmt; 2008-04-01 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Summerboard Theme Download

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to relientmt For This Useful Post:

bboysunz (2008-03-31), desepticon (2008-03-31), Haylel (2008-03-27), jacensolo (2008-04-19), Wongster360 (2008-04-19), zBluePhoenixz (2008-07-15)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ctcnsf For This Useful Post:

jacensolo (2008-04-19)

Thanks

good call, creative, thanks!

Wow nice an I you could please i would love it as a SMB theme

Icons are great!!! supee great idea I would love these icon on a smb theme

Smile Guitarist Icon
    here's a guitarist icon by me. thanks for the wonderful guide. the rar file of the icon is attached. click thanks if anyone like.
    icon

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eternal; 2008-03-28 at 11:36 AM.
    1.1.4 Winpwned ----> 2.0 Winpwned

Baseband- 04.05.04_G
    Bootloader- 3.9 (1.0.2 OOTB)
    Call In/Out - Yes/Yes
    SMS In/Out - Yes/Yes
    GPRS - Yes
    YouTube - Yes

Hey guys - I'm kind of new to this whole jail break thing - I'm pretty knowledgable for being a week into it, but just a quick question on this. I did everything on this page, I found the icon in that directory, but how do I make it one of my actual icons? Any helps appreciated. Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

wow. what a brilliant idea. its so simple its strange no ones thought of it before. kudos!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.

You can now download the icons from the first post of this thread!
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

stdrum5, you can make your own summerboard theme out of the icons you make, or you can just replace the icon.png in the .app folder of the application you made the icon for.

Thanks

Anything easy for 1.1.2 unlocked and jailbroken??
    Stay Sexy, Sweet, and Wonderful!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iMario16's Avatar
    Thanks

i use a few icons of you they are really nice !!!