Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: How will themeing change with a 4.7" and a 5.5" screen?

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolysenegal View Post
    How does preordering work?
    Basically u do everything like u normally would if u go in the store and get it. They just mail u the phone instead.
    http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

  2. #22
    I think the 6+ is gonna be favored a lot more then people think. the specs aren't the same either. battery life alone makes it far better then the 6 to me. as for the shelves I can live without but somebody brought up the widgets and that was interesting. I'm more of a sbhtml guy so I wonder how that pans out as well

  3. #23
    Yea, I don't even use shelves now lol. And I don't really use widgets or sbhtml. So really why wouldn't I get the 6+. The screen res is better too. As long as I can get my icons themed and maybe some of the basic UI themed as well I'll be good to go.
    http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

  4. #24
    yup and I just read on Mashable that the 6+ is officially sold out with some 4.7 inch still available. major success with the big screens if you ask me. good job apple

  5. #25
    Etch A Sketch Sk37cH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oz maaaaaate ;)
    Posts
    2,533
    Thanks
    6,115
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 2,246 Posts

    Default How will themeing change with a 4.7" and a 5.5" screen?
    It'll change a few things, like I think a few "how will iP6 and iOS8 change theming" threads will pop up in the "iPhone 5 New Skins/Themes/Launchers", instead of skinning theming and discussions.... Therefor making it harder to keep the struggling themes in that first page "sweet spot", lessening possible publicity. All in fun.... Enjoy your weekend

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

    Simon (2014-09-14)

  7. #26
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    8,337
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

    Yes it's going to be very hard for themers to keep two fairly different icon sets current. The 6+ uses 180 x 180 icons where the 6 keeps them 120 x 120.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

    HummusGod (2014-09-13)

  9. #27
    Etch A Sketch Sk37cH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oz maaaaaate ;)
    Posts
    2,533
    Thanks
    6,115
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 2,246 Posts

    Regarding that particular issue, and focusing on just the "2" you mention.

    WB in its current state stretches *some* 76px iPad icons to fit the the 152px retina display. This is tested thoroughly through watermarking theme images and including icons conforming to the apps original dimensions.

    So as it stands now, for someone with a compulsive tendency towards theming (such as myself), there's 3 separate icon packages maintained for one theme. I've added another few lines to the batch automation for now, and have a set of 180px icons just waiting to be bundled. The old saying of "do it right the first time, and you only gotta do it the once". Work in vector, and size doesn't really matter, just aspect ratio when it comes to icons that interact with the edge of the canvas. Cheers.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

    dmick89 (2014-09-14), kristatos (2014-09-14)

  11. #28
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    8,337
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

    Default How will themeing change with a 4.7" and a 5.5" screen?
    But even vector images still apply "some stretching" even at same aspect ratio if you start too small , don't they?

  12. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yes it's going to be very hard for themers to keep two fairly different icon sets current. The 6+ uses 180 x 180 icons where the 6 keeps them 120 x 120.
    Good thing I have downloaded and bought all the icons that are themed with Paradigm Shift and my PSD is at 512x512 ...will be fairly easy to catch the updated icons.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chevymusclecar For This Useful Post:

    kristatos (2014-09-14), nik1975 (2014-09-13)

  14. #30
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    8,337
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by chevymusclecar View Post
    Good thing I have downloaded and bought all the icons that are themed with Paradigm Shift and my PSD is at 512x512 ...will be fairly easy to catch the updated icons.
    Good "thinking ahead"!!

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

    chevymusclecar (2014-09-13)

  16. #31
    Theme Modder Sital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,495
    Thanks
    1,655
    Thanked 10,986 Times in 2,040 Posts

    I learned the hard way when theming my Mac icons to think big. Now I just automatically start my icon psd's at 1024x1024. It makes it easier to see what I'm doing, too.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sital For This Useful Post:

    chevymusclecar (2014-09-13), kristatos (2014-09-14)

  18. #32
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    8,337
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

    Yep… Always easier to downsize than to upsize.

  19. #33
    .artwork assassin Jato_BZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,185
    Thanks
    3,321
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 2,161 Posts

    For those wondering yes I did say back in May we may (no pun intended) see "@3x" in the larger iPhone.

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410645599.381332.jpg

    So basically the 4.7" iPhone 6 uses "@2x" or current retina image specs. Pretty simple really for it with default images being 750x1334.

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410645712.524732.jpg

    The iPhone 6 plus on the other hand uses "@3x" image assets for everything. Not just SB icons but all the UI is at "@3x".

    So in terms of themeing theme creators will need to create two (2) separate themes basically. Like when the iPhone 4 was released & themes were made for the 3GS (Non Retina) & 4 (Retina). It's the same with the 6 & 6Plus.

    The iPhone 6 Plus uses default image sizes of 1242x2208px.

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410645982.996536.jpg

    But wait didnt Apple announce 1920x1080? Yes they did, what's happening is downscaling. So the iPhone 6 Plus is downscaling it's entire bank of image assets.

    Yes SB icons are 180x180 but they're downscaled on device. The downscaling essentially removes the 1:1 pixelation so smoother image viewed. The downside I see to this is, in the past when we create images & apply we can screenshot to match up the images. This won't work 100% now due to the downscaling.

    If you wanted to get a jump on the JB & themers basically convert existing 7X UI to "@3x" by multiplying the "@2x" image sizes by 1.5 = new "@3x" specs.

    e.g Retina Settings icons = 58x58px

    Take 58 x 1.5 = 87 which is the size for the "@3x" settings icons.

    And yes, the .artwork tool has been updated to handle the [email protected]k file (Settings icons now 87x87px)

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410646371.065815.jpg
    Last edited by Jato_BZ; 2014-09-14 at 12:59 AM.
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

  20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jato_BZ For This Useful Post:

    Bo Troxell (2014-09-14), chevymusclecar (2014-09-14), dmick89 (2014-09-14), kristatos (2014-09-14), lostinthemes (2014-09-15), NewD (2014-09-14), Sk37cH (2014-09-14)

  21. #34
    Code Dependent NewD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Posts
    5,710
    Thanks
    8,337
    Thanked 16,467 Times in 7,697 Posts

    Default How will themeing change with a 4.7" and a 5.5" screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post
    For those wondering yes I did say back in May we may (no pun intended) see "@3x" in the larger iPhone.

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410645599.381332.jpg

    So basically the 4.7" iPhone 6 uses "@2x" or current retina image specs. Pretty simple really for it with default images being 750x1334.

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410645712.524732.jpg

    The iPhone 6 plus on the other hand uses "@3x" image assets for everything. Not just SB icons but all the UI is at "@3x".

    So in terms of themeing theme creators will need to create two (2) separate themes basically. Like when the iPhone 4 was released & themes were made for the 3GS (Non Retina) & 4 (Retina). It's the same with the 6 & 6Plus.

    The iPhone 6 Plus uses default image sizes of 1242x2208px.

    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410645982.996536.jpg

    But wait didnt Apple announce 1920x1080? Yes they did, what's happening is downscaling. So the iPhone 6 Plus is downscaling it's entire bank of image assets.

    Yes SB icons are 180x180 but they're downscaled on device. The downscaling essentially removes the 1:1 pixelation so smoother image viewed. The downside I see to this is, in the past when we create images & apply we can screenshot to match up the images. This won't work 100% now due to the downscaling.

    If you wanted to get a jump on the JB & themers basically convert existing 7X UI to "@3x" by multiplying the "@2x" by 1.5 = new "@3x" specs.

    And yes, the .artwork tool has been updated to handle the [email protected]k file (Settings icons now 87x87px)
    So glad you're here to help us through these waters, Jato!!

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewD For This Useful Post:

    dmick89 (2014-09-14), Jato_BZ (2014-09-14)

  23. #35
    .artwork assassin Jato_BZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,185
    Thanks
    3,321
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 2,161 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    So glad you're here to help us through these waters, Jato!!
    Thanks Grant. Happy to help clear a few things up!!
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

  24. #36
    I don't think it's gonna be as hard as everyone is making it out to be.
    http://www.vicrosdesigns.net/imgs/DNsigv3.png

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Ninja For This Useful Post:

    thazsar (2014-09-14)

  26. #37
    Theme Kingpin TCcentex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,787
    Thanks
    1,859
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 882 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Jato_BZ View Post

    The iPhone 6 plus on the other hand uses "@3x" image assets for everything. Not just SB icons but all the UI is at "@3x".

    So in terms of themeing theme creators will need to create two (2) separate themes basically. Like when the iPhone 4 was released & themes were made for the 3GS (Non Retina) & 4 (Retina). It's the same with the 6 & 6Plus.


    ImageUploadedByModMyi1410646371.065815.jpg
    To your point, we should be able to have one theme with @2x and @3x images like the when the iPhone 4 was released & themes were made for the 3GS (Non Retina) & 4 (Retina). That way one theme will be universal for both 6's.

    And I second the appreciation for all you do Matt - you're awesome!!

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TCcentex For This Useful Post:

    chevymusclecar (2014-09-14), Jato_BZ (2014-09-14), NewD (2014-09-14)

  28. #38
    Etch A Sketch Sk37cH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oz maaaaaate ;)
    Posts
    2,533
    Thanks
    6,115
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 2,246 Posts

    Default How will themeing change with a 4.7" and a 5.5" screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But even vector images still apply "some stretching" even at same aspect ratio if you start too small , don't they?
    Nope. Not if you make them in Ai. Bézier curves are mathematical. If what you say was the case, then I wouldn't be using the same logo on a business card, as the logo I use for the same client on a full car body wrap Cheers.

    Here's a canvas the size of a Zeppelin logo. I use this vector in 152px icons, Zeppelins, wallpapers (about 580px glyph size)... I even used it to print large contour cut stickers at 300dpi. The part under the microscope is 6400% ZOOM (not resize, just screen zoom and new capture).



    Edit: if what you say is true, and really noticeable, then we'd definately see it already. I work on 240px canvas for 120px icons. You see also many people are working at a larger size and scaling down. Some even on a 1000px+ canvas. I find 240px a good compromise between "room to work" and the reminder that we only have a small canvas at the end. Even at 240px I occasionally make more detail than really needed in my theme, so I refine, with better consideration for the 60px display size (120px canvas).
    Last edited by Sk37cH; 2014-09-14 at 03:47 AM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Sk37cH For This Useful Post:

    NewD (2014-09-14)

  30. #39
    .artwork assassin Jato_BZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,185
    Thanks
    3,321
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 2,161 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by TCcentex View Post
    To your point, we should be able to have one theme with @2x and @3x images like the when the iPhone 4 was released & themes were made for the 3GS (Non Retina) & 4 (Retina). That way one theme will be universal for both 6's.

    And I second the appreciation for all you do Matt - you're awesome!!
    Yip you could Tim totally up to the theme creator at the end of the day. Perhaps for better theme management for updates & also end user downloading it could be easier as two separate themes. Like 4/4S & 5/5S themes.

    Happy to help where I can! Am waiting on sn0w to release the A5 keys to get a look in!
    Twitter ID: @Jato_BZ
    .artwork Assassin / Emoji Extractor

  31. #40

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

    Jato_BZ (2014-09-14), Sk37cH (2014-09-14)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •