Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Source of Editable PNGs.

Question Source of Editable PNGs.
    Hello, I tried posting this question in another forum, and with a ton of views, no one has responded.

I'm looking for a source of all the editable PNGs for 4.3.1 on the Iphone 4. I have edited many many many files and I'm basically looking for a ton more. On my windows machine, I use Iphone Browser, and It changes the PNGs to an editable format automatically. Where as on a MAC, (Iphone Explorer) can't read the PNGs at all. If they were also converted, this would be a godsend. I'll upload some pics of my awesome Megaman Theme Lockscreen soon and I hope to edit a ton more.

Bored Graphic Artist by day, fanatical Iphone modder by night.

Thanks.

EDIT: Added a screenshot of my Lock Screen. The white box is simply covering my name. (Edited Carrier Logo)

Last edited by xLeejin; 2011-06-07 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Uploaded pic to album.

Color Keyboard Yoda Phatmartino's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 310 Posts

Hey, not that I can really be of specific help, but I like to converse and try anywhere I can, and I sympathize with your particular tale of woe (post with a ton of views and no replies). Quite possible, I suppose, that many views are those hoping your post is in fact a "source of editable .pngs" I guess.

I'm on 4.2.1 so I don't have any sure things, but I suppose not everything has changed so I'd be happy to help look into at least specific elements you're loking for if nothing else.

I'm wondering at least if what you have done so far is browse your phone to find natively existing .pngs and then copying and editing, or have you downloaded any themes that at least partially or completely theme your phone to help you out? I could also at least offer advise on my own methods of finding what I'm looking for. I've never seen a "holy grail" list of .pngs for any iOS (not that I've spent a lot of time looking).

If you are experienced at theming and have just hit an iOS update stumbling block, it's quite possible I can't be of all that much help, but either way I'm more than happy to try!
    Last edited by Phatmartino; 2011-06-10 at 02:00 AM.

Thanks
    I was just wondering about something here, and this seemed like the place i should maybe ask?
    I was ssh-ing into my 4.3.3 iPhone 4 today looking for the very same things and I was able to find them (at least a lot of the UI pieces and such which is what I was looking for) and I found this: (/var/mobile/Applications/Remote/Remote.app/)
    That is that path you'll need to find it if you're looking with iFile. When I SSH'd, the folder named "Remote" was actually a HUGE number (19508F9F-D297-4580-B9C8-226822675568)
    This contains all the necessary UI Images
    My problem, however, came when I tried to simply copy them over to my computer, they show up as "invalid images" in photoshop, picasa, and every other picture viewing software that i could find. They show up just find within iFile in the picture viewer, so I have no idea what the problem could be. This makes it extremely difficult to take any one image off of my device, modify it, and then put it back.

This problem only seemed to exist with the default Apple images though. Images that I pulled from other apps and such (such as biteSMS, since I was themeing that too) all show up fine on my computer.

Does anyone have any idea why these Apple images wouldn't display on a PC?

PS: I'm using WinSCP to do all my file traversing
    PPS: Soooo it looks like using WinSCP was my problem all along. I picked up the latest iPhoneBrowser and it's waaay better lol. Thaaanks
    Last edited by iAmMortos; 2011-06-29 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iAmMortos View Post
    I was just wondering about something here, and this seemed like the place i should maybe ask?
    I was ssh-ing into my 4.3.3 iPhone 4 today looking for the very same things and I was able to find them (at least a lot of the UI pieces and such which is what I was looking for) and I found this: (/var/mobile/Applications/Remote/Remote.app/)
    That is that path you'll need to find it if you're looking with iFile. When I SSH'd, the folder named "Remote" was actually a HUGE number (19508F9F-D297-4580-B9C8-226822675568)
    This contains all the necessary UI Images
    My problem, however, came when I tried to simply copy them over to my computer, they show up as "invalid images" in photoshop, picasa, and every other picture viewing software that i could find. They show up just find within iFile in the picture viewer, so I have no idea what the problem could be. This makes it extremely difficult to take any one image off of my device, modify it, and then put it back.

This problem only seemed to exist with the default Apple images though. Images that I pulled from other apps and such (such as biteSMS, since I was themeing that too) all show up fine on my computer.

Does anyone have any idea why these Apple images wouldn't display on a PC?

PS: I'm using WinSCP to do all my file traversing
    PPS: Soooo it looks like using WinSCP was my problem all along. I picked up the latest iPhoneBrowser and it's waaay better lol. Thaaanks

No problem. The images on the iphone are pngs but with a weird bit of coding to make them uneditable outside of the phone's OS. But IphoneBrowser automatically converts them so we can view/edit them. I also found a great source of all the stock 4.3.3 images collected into one, easy to browse, folder hierarchy. Here is the source.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Thanks xLeejin. Picked these up a few days ago. That source also includes a link to the utility to extract the pngs from the UI artwork files. Have you ever come across a utility to rebuild an artwork file for current iOS versions? Personally I would like to change a few pngs in the artwork files but want to do it manually - not using Winterboard/Dreamboard.