Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bevel effect on icons

Default Bevel effect on icons
    im trying to make my first ever theme and im learning as i go along. basically, im having trouble applying a bevel effect onto my icons using the Auto-skin method. im not very good with photoshop but i do know the very basics. but this is beyond me. i've tried a few different ways but with no success.

i have managed to apply a bevel look to a few icons, but i would like the icons to be auto skined.
    this is the normal icon looks like.
    and this is how i like it to look.....
    it's just a simple bevel effect using photoshop. i've included a .psd of this icon so that you can see the what i have done. it's very basic but effective i think.

after a lot of searching and asking, i've found an icon pack that looks similar to what im after (iSweet4.0). the pack also includes the .psd file that was used to make the icons (included below). but yet again, my inexperience with photoshop shines through. how do i use this .psd to auto skin the icons or even to apply to the icons that i will have to make for the theme?

i would be most grateful if someone could help me on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

you need to set it ask a mask.
    Tho not sure if masks more for ALL icons. i know you can do a basic mask for all appstore icons but you may have to individually add it for all others.
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    Tho not sure if masks more for ALL icons. i know you can do a basic mask for all appstore icons but you may have to individually add it for all others.
    thanks for the reply.
    i have tried to set it as a mask. but the icons don't come out the same as when i have manually made them. they look like crap. on one of my attempts, the bevel part looked good but the centre part of the icon didn't flow with the bevel.

yeah i know that i will have to make and add a lot of individual icons. that's why i want to make the mask look just like the ones i make using photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    I've tried but can't figure out what all I need to edit help, I have CS5 and iPhone3gs on 4.0.1

Santa Claus, Theme Creator santaf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,107 Posts

what do you think of this? included new psd to work with auto create so they look the same and the auto create images. if not then i can have another go at it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. The Following User Says Thank You to santaf For This Useful Post:

oldgit9 (2010-09-29)

Quote Originally Posted by santaf View Post
    what do you think of this? included new psd to work with auto create so they look the same and the auto create images. if not then i can have another go at it.
    OMG!!!! i don't know how to thank you (other than pressing the thanks button). it works a treat. you have saved me so much time.

i take my hat off to you mate.

thanks again.

ps. i will make sure that you will get a mention in the credits of the theme.

Thanks

Thanks man no problem glad to help a fello mmi member :-p

Quote Originally Posted by shanejoe View Post
    I've tried but can't figure out what all I need to edit help, I have CS5 and iPhone3gs on 4.0.1
    Santac help
    I'm trying to mask the all icons, the icons in the AppStore and on the homescreen
    Could you post what files I need to edit? And where they are located for a winterboard theme?

Thanks

You can only auto create apps that are from the AppStore you can't auto the stock apps or Cydia let me redirect you to the how to auto create AppStore icons thread started by tccentex it is a sticky in the iPhone themes thread I'm walking to class on campus and on my phone so It is hard for me to post a link right now. But that is where you will find the names and location of images for 3.x and 4.x and how the auto images work if you have your icon already and can't figure it out I'll be glad to help you if you send me the psd

I'm just looking to take off the round edge and place a white then Black outline around them