Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HD Icons for Iphone 4 Themes

Default HD Icons for Iphone 4 Themes
    Does anyone know how I go about changing icons myself?

I'm working on merging a couple of themes together and Buuf2 Theme has tonsa cool icons that i'm thinking of incorporating, but they're so pixelated and blurry.

How do I make them into HD Icons? I know how to get into the phone via SSH and all and know where all the files are and whatnot, I just need some tips on how exactly to convert the given icons into a clearer, crisper image.

Now retouching old icons is an editing question but even when I take pictures offline and make them into icons, theyre fuzzy.

SO IS THERE a minimum picture resolution that has to be used for the icon in order for it not to be fuzzy?

Thanks

Edit: tried something see below 3rd reply or so down:

I tried doing this and it didn't work. Making it 114x114 pixels just made it huge on the screen. Adding the @2x after it made it not show up at all. Tried using a good resolution pic and making it 59x60 pixels but stillblurry. Isn't nearly as good quality as the stock apple ones. Its clearly fuzzy.
    Last edited by md32903; 2010-08-19 at 04:18 AM.

You can try hacking into an already HD and replaceing the old icons, but that didn't work for me, but it's worth a try

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jml6278 For This Useful Post:

DoubleTapable (2010-08-19), md32903 (2010-08-19)

I tried doing this and it didn't work. Making it 114x114 just made it huge on the screen. Adding the @2x after it made it not show up at all. Tried using a good resolution pic and making it 59x60 pixels but stillblurry. Isn't nearly as good quality as the stock apple ones. Its clearly fuzzy.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skater38053's Avatar
    Thanks

Icons don't use @2x on the I4. As far as HD icons I have not found a way to make non HD icons into HD or find HD icons

Yeah, I didn't think they did either. I had experimented around a bit. As far as touching up old icons and making them HD thats a photoediting task.

But for some reason I cannot even get normal pictures to show up as HD on my screen when I make them myself.

Is there some sort of minimum picture resolution that has to be met?

Try hacking into Celeste HD, to see how it works, you might find out how they do it

I went into Blue HD and couldn't really find any discernible difference. My guess is original image resolution.

Celeste HD is perfect if you have an iPhone 4

I'd use it, but i cannot stand the colored outlines around all the apps. Waaaay too colorful.

Just use it to find a way to hack it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bump.

I'm trying to create my own HD icons because the theme I want isn't HD compatible. Tried sizing it at 114x114 but as the OP said, it just showed up as a large icon. Tried adding @2x but it didn't show up at all. Even tried tampering with higher resolution settings in Photoshop. Looked at the icons of some HD themes (Glaskart and some other one), but they seem simple enough to recreate. The only specification I caught was the standard icon size of 60x60.

I'm not a noob at this. I used to mod my own themes. But I can't seem to get the hang of the HD icons.

If you take an older 60x60 icon and blow it up to 120x120, it will look pixelated because you're basically taking the old pixels that took up one block of color now take up four blocks of color.

So, if you create an icon at 120x120 you can downgrade it to 60x60 just fine, but not the other way around. To make them larger without pixelation you'll have to re-create them all over again with the original artwork. Or:

When you create the icon, start with a canvas of 120x120 and a DPI of 144. This is exactly double the 60x60, 72 DPI of the non-Retina Display iPhones. They come crisp and clear.

Where to put them once you've made them: var/stash/your.theme/bundles/[find the address here]

Be sure to name the icon exactly, capitals and all.
    The correct name of the icon is in that program's folder (see below).

If your icon isn't on the list from the link above, SSH into your phone (or even better use iFile) and navigate to either /var/mobile/applications/[program name], or /var/stash/Applications/[program name] and open the Info.plist file. Scroll down until you see the word "CFBundleIdentifier" and just below it you'll see something like "com.apple.[the program's name]". But sometimes "come.apple" isn't in the name. For instance, with iFile it's "eu.heinelt.ifile" -- so you would create a folder in var/stash/themes/your.theme/Bundles/eu.heinelt.ifile/[place the icon here].

To open a .plist file in windows use Notepad.

I think that covers it

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jahooba For This Useful Post:

StaticFX (2012-02-07)