Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to get gloss and rounded corners on custom icons?

Default How to get gloss and rounded corners on custom icons?
    I can't seem to get my custom icons to display the gloss and the rounded corners. All of the sources I've searched through say the iPhone should automatically add them, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get them to show. I'm not sure what could be causing this, as most people have trouble disabling them, not enabling.

My phone is 3.1.3 firmware, and is a 3G model.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Im sorry but Im not exactly sure what it is your asking... are you asking why your custom made icons dont look like similar in design ques as stock icons? Im not very savvy with photoshop but If this is what your getting at with your question, I would suggest asking one of the themers here on the site due to their extensive knowledge of photoshop and design because your question sounds like it deals with styling and design settings for photoshop.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

Sorry, I'll try to rephrase.

Most icons on the iphone have rounded corners and a "gloss" effect put on them that makes them look more 3-dimensional. (Some also have a shadow at the bottom to, like this one...) Example below:

From most of the guides I've looked at, it seems that the iPhone should put these effect on the icon.png automatically, meaning that I don't have to create these effects in Photoshop. However when I put my custom icons onto my phone, they show up as plain square icons, without any of the effects. I'm trying to figure what I need to do to make my icon display those effects.

In photoshop your base icon should be a rounded rectangle, this is how the rounded corners are made. The shadow beneath this is a drop shadow and the gloss meaning the color gradient, or the half circle above on the top part of the icon. If it is the half circle all it is is a circle with a low transparency and a slight glow effect. The Color gradient can be easily done with the gradient tool.

Okay, so there is no other way of making icons with these effects other than with photoshop?